ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I think the problem is that these films are being remade simply to cash in on our nostalgia, and for no other reason than that. They REALLY don't need to be remade, and it's unlikely that anything good will come out of them. They should be focusing on creating new classics.

Here's a quick list of remakes currently in some stage of production:

• Poltergeist
  • Robocop
  • Predator
  • Alien
  • Total Recall
  • The Neverending Story
  • The Karate Kid
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Red Sonja
  • Barbarella
  • Romancing The Stone
  • Back To School ("classic" 80's comedy)
  • Meatballs
  • Metropolis
  • Akira
  • Death Wish
  • Rosemary’s Baby
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Highlander
  • The Fly

It's too much!

How about some new stuff, Hollywood?

I think Paul Verhoeven is a madman who makes impressively potent but flawed propaganda for our fascist overlords (many different flavors thereof). I think Darren Aronofsky is a artsy-fartsy pansy who makes interesting but flawed essays on bourgeois psychoses (many different flavors thereof). I am curious about the latter's treatment of the former's stuff, regardless of how icky remakes and reboots may be.

Yeah, I do wonder what Aronofsky will do with that... but why remake and tell the same story?

Yeah, I do wonder what Aronofsky will do with that... but why remake and tell the same story?

As with adaptations, one interesting product of remakes can be to tell the same story but say something different with it. That sort of demands a director who actually has something to say, which Aronofsky probably is in this case, but most remakes can't claim that.

Here's a quick list of remakes currently in some stage of production:

• Poltergeist
  • Robocop
  • Predator
  • Alien
  • Total Recall
  • The Neverending Story
  • The Karate Kid
  • Conan the Barbarian
  • Red Sonja
  • Barbarella
  • Romancing The Stone
  • Back To School ("classic" 80's comedy)
  • Meatballs
  • Metropolis
  • Akira
  • Death Wish
  • Rosemary’s Baby
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Highlander
  • The Fly

It's too much!

Seriously!? wtf

Alien

I thought this was going to be some sort of precursor to the original story. A prequel, if you will.

You forgot Red Dawn, which is a movie so horrible I don't know why anyone would want to revisit it.

When you said that, I thought you were talking about that Vietnam war movie with Bale, and was about to object. Then I realised I was thinking about Rescue Dawn. Very good, btw.

Just seen Ep1 of Generation Kill - thought it was good, realistic and well written. D. Simon strikes again it seems!

True Blood on the other hand - total bag of arse.

When you said that, I thought you were talking about that Vietnam war movie with Bale, and was about to object. Then I realised I was thinking about Rescue Dawn. Very good, btw.

No, it's the crappy 80s "commies are coming to get us" movie. But funny enough, Herzog himself recently got bit by the reimagining bug and re-did "Bad Lieutenant." It's pretty decent, from what I've read, despite having Cage and almost nothing to do with the original. But I guess that's Herzog. And "Rescue Dawn" is, in a way, a reworking of his previous film "Little Dieter Needs to Fly."

True Blood on the other hand - total bag of arse.

No kidding! My roommate and I forced ourselves to watch the entire first season, hoping it just need a little time to get into. God, it was horrid.

No kidding! My roommate and I forced ourselves to watch the entire first season, hoping it just need a little time to get into. God, it was horrid.

It's reassuring to read that, as too many of my friends and contacts have been waxing lyrical about it--but can't seem to articulate why. :frusty:

It's reassuring to read that, as too many of my friends and contacts have been waxing lyrical about it--but can't seem to articulate why. :frusty:

"Murders and boobs." is the best I've got.

Tragic really.

I think Paul Verhoeven is a madman who makes impressively potent but flawed propaganda for our fascist overlords (many different flavors thereof).

Hmh, I think Verhoeven is pretty misunderstood as a director. If anything, Robocop and Starship Troopers are anti-corporate and anti-fascistic respectively, but Verhoeven doesn't force his point like people would expect from action movies.

Just watched Brick - a bit meh. Tried to be too much, dialogue seemed to be deliberately obfuscating - do kids really talk like that? Up it's arse...Was shot very well though, I agree with that.

Hmh, I think Verhoeven is pretty misunderstood as a director. If anything, Robocop and Starship Troopers are anti-corporate and anti-fascistic respectively, but Verhoeven doesn't force his point like people would expect from action movies.

Got to agree with this. While I think Starship Troopers's "political message" got lost behind an awesome and OTT sci-fi yarn, RoboCop is incredibly potently anti-corporate.

Also, Total Recall rules :grin:

Haven't seen any of his European work though, I'm ashamed to say.

With the kind of money that's invested in Hollywood movies, it's certainly understandable that they don't want to take risks.

Haven't seen any of his European work though, I'm ashamed to say.

Considering most of that is in Dutch I can't blame you.

"Soldaat van Oranje" is a great movie.

The Nazi symbolism in Starship Troopers was pretty blatant too I thought. :erm:

Either way, I recently watched Zach Braff's Garden State. I probably would have liked it if it weren't so unbearably smug. Had it had a different director, and the whole conversation about The Shins was dropped, I think I could've been excellent, as it stands it's hard to recommend.

Oh, I agree! I love what his movies do if you look at them as tongue-in-cheek propaganda. You have this weird plastic cast of stock characters playing out a weird morality/honor/justice tale, and every now and again he cuts to commercials that kindof round off the fascist world. It is so very dry and awesome.

That said, I haven't seen any of his European movies, nor have I seen that Showgirls movie which everyone hates.

The Nazi symbolism in Starship Troopers was pretty blatant too I thought. :erm:

There was Doogie Howser's uniform and some talk of "earning" citizenship and um, yeah. That symbolism doesn't really carry much of a message throughout the movie, though. In RoboCop, the main character was a direct product of a corrupt corporation and all that.

That said, I haven't seen any of his European movies, nor have I seen that Showgirls movie which everyone hates.

Loves. The movie which everyone LOVES.

Considering most of that is in Dutch I can't blame you.

They do have subtitles, you know :mock:

English subs for Dutch movies? Is there even a market for Dutch movies outside of the Netherlands and Belgium!?

English subs for Dutch movies? Is there even a market for Dutch movies outside of the Netherlands and Belgium!?

Sure, why wouldn't there be? Foreign film loves, art house cinemas, film festivals, etc...

I watched Up in 3D. It only recently premiered in the Netherlands, though I had seen it months before when I was stateside.

Such a wonderful movie. The first 10-15 minutes of that film...