ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Bones' backstory and rationale for his nickname was brief but nice.

The trademark J J Abrams 3D lettering was a bit weird, especially when it went through IOWA and VULCAN, then IOWA and VULCAN again. It should have been kind of obvious when locations were revisited...

Yeah, way to dumb it down. I hate it when they do that, still at least it was tiny on the corner :)

The actor who played Bones absolutely nailed his introductory scene -- it was totally awesome, but later on he floundered a bit, I thought.

Only days later I suddenly realized that the Star Trek movie had ensign Ricky in it, and it made me laugh hard.

That's pretty damn awesome! I haven't seen a single episode, and I'm not even sure I'll like it, but I do know that Whedon is capable of creating some amazing stuff if he's given the chance. Plus, shows often need a season to find their feet -- throwing the whole thing out because it wasn't immediately successful, is ridiculous. Hopefully it might be a sign of things changing.

This is excellent news, indeed! :tup:

If you're into self-loathing journeys of selfish self discovery (self), I heartily recommend A Complete History of My Sexual Failures.

For those of you less inclined and more into Icelandic crime novel adaptions with religious imagery and some neat twists, give Jar City a spin.

If you're not a fan of either, I suggest you go back to your Wolverine and Hannah Montana :grin:

Oh, dammit, it got really good after about a third of the second season.

Sarah Connor: Terminated!

Utter cunts. We're at the mid point in the second season and the writing and characterisations just get better and better.

Bastards, so angry now. :(

I just saw a pretty damn cool movie called push. I really recommend you go see it if you liked the premise of heroes but didn't like the heavy handedness of that show. It's about people having psychic abilities being chased by the government. It all takes place in Hong Kong with (almost) everything filmed right on the streets. Which gives it a really cool gritty and real feel to it. The cinematography is great and they keep the SFX to a minimum. It's a must see in my book!

Sorry to quote an old post (I only just read it, see?), but was nobody else bothered by how fascinated the costume designer and cameraman seemed to be with Dakota Fanning's thighs? My friends and I all thought it was uncomfortably pervy at times, so unless we all have some pretty worrying problems, there's something up with that film. I mean, not to go all morally indignant and "ban this filth" or anything -- I'm not generally that puritanical about that sort of thing -- I just found it a rather depressing example of how pretty much anyone, especially anyone female, is prone to being sexualized by the media and our culture.

On the other hand, that one screaming guy was hilarious. And the film itself was pretty daft but in an entertaining way.

Utter cunts. We're at the mid point in the second season and the writing and characterisations just get better and better.

Bastards, so angry now. :(

Bah. I feel your pain. So many shows I've loved have been irritatingly cancelled. I think that's one of the reasons I'm mostly working through things that have already finished: No unpleasant surprises.

Of course US networks might want to consider how placing every show on a knife-edge might negatively affect ratings! I wonder if a network would ever guarantee a "proper ending" for any show you watch on that network?

This somehow falls into a murky place between this thread and the Obligatory comical YouTube thread*, as it can freely be found on Hulu (sorry folks outside of the US, maybe thee are working proxies out there?), I have been watching Art:21 - Art in the 21st Century. It is a well-curated, beautifully shot PBS series on contemporary art and artists now living. I would suggest it to the pretentious ivory tower smartypants and the salt of the earth, meat and taters, real folk alike.

:tup::strangelove::scary::manny::amelie::bac0n::yep:

* While it is not inherently comical, it is interesting and on the internet and therefore may fit there

This somehow falls into a murky place between this thread and the Obligatory comical YouTube thread*, as it can freely be found on Hulu (sorry folks outside of the US, maybe thee are working proxies out there?), I have been watching Art:21 - Art in the 21st Century. It is a well-curated, beautifully shot PBS series on contemporary art and artists now living. I would suggest it to the pretentious ivory tower smartypants and the salt of the earth, meat and taters, real folk alike.

:tup::strangelove::scary::manny::amelie::bac0n::yep:

* While it is not inherently comical, it is interesting and on the internet and therefore may fit there

Despite the show's artsy cred, it might be epic, but no proxy seems good enough.

My first thought was that it was just the idiotic language of trailers that was making it seem more ridiculous than it was, but then it turned out it really was that stupid after all. I'll probably end up seeing it anyway, though.

As a Sherlock Holmes film I don't doubt it will be a travesty, but as a Guy Ritchie period romp I expect it will be thoroughly entertaining.

Will there be any Kabbalah? Or did he leave that with his ex-wife?

I thought Landsman was perfect fit for who he was.
Well I spotted his "acting" before I knew who he was, so that should tell you something. Still, he wasn't terrible, just not professional level.
The only time I ever really noticed shoddy acting was in season two, and that was really because the new characters were relatively badly conceived. E.g. Brother Mouzone smugly winking at the camera, reveling in his own awesomeness ("You know what is themost dangerous thing in the world? A nigga with a library card."), Ziggy, the mysterious Greek who is so damn mysterious he is transparent, etc.

But whatever, it is a rad show.

You're not talking about acting, you're talking about characterisation, but whatever. The character of Mouzone was a difficult pill to swallow, but Simon says (ugh - that was unintentional) that he was based on various people he and writers had encountered, or heard about, over the years (as was pretty much every character).

The actor playing Ziggy did a magnificent job (probably why Simon cast him in Generation Kill), but if you want to talk about transparent Greeks then it's got to be THE Greek that fails the personality test.

Am I the only one who thinks the Sherlock Holmes movie looks genius?

There's me :yep:

It looks like Sherlock Byron. Which could be dumb fun.

I think it looks pretty sweet too.

The way I see it, the old ITV series with Jeremy Brett is the definitive traditional interpretation of Holmes and I find it unlikely that a film made along the same lines would ever come close to it. I think it's a smart move to try and take it in a different direction.