ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Woooh! Ashes to Ashes is back! And the first episode was awesome! I can't wait for next week's episode :tup::tup::tup:

Anyone see Sit Down Shut Up yet? It's abysmal.

Sorry Mitch Hurwitz. I still love Arrested Development.

Yes, the suckage was shocking. I can only hope that Hurwitz was in a corner and had to make it so, so terrible. Maybe the Two and a half Men writers helped make it so bad. I was really looking forward to it, too.

Anyone seen the Australian original? I don't know how it compares with that.

Woooh! Ashes to Ashes is back! And the first episode was awesome! I can't wait for next week's episode :tup::tup::tup:

:tup:

The Larry Sanders Show is pretty good and a series that I didn't see mentioned.

It's OUTSTANDING. Shame they're not all on DVD yet. It's Curb Your Enthusiasm's older, smarter brother :tup:

Has anybody mentioned Better Off Ted yet? I totally recommend it. I've only seen two episodes so far but I can see myself becoming addicted. It makes me think of Portal crossed with Arrested Development. Probably because of the intro and the fact that Portia de Rossa is in it, more than anything else, but still.... really great show.

Better off Ted? Really? The commercials are so off-putting, but then again so is most of television

I wasn't into it the first time I watched it, but gave it another spin today and it was quite funny. Seems to be getting into its groove.

I would like to express my love of Chuck, both seasons are excellent, I loved the season 2 finale despite it being pretty guessable, looking forward to season 3 next year hopefully.

I forgot to post this at the weekend: I took my elder daughter (L, 6) to a preview of Coraline last Sunday. It was great, even without the gimmick of 3D--a fun and interesting film.

L was a little apprehensive of some parts towards the end, but she enjoyed it very much too. :tup:

I just saw a pretty damn cool movie called push. I really recommend you go see it if you liked the premise of heroes but didn't like the heavy handedness of that show. It's about people having psychic abilities being chased by the government. It all takes place in Hong Kong with (almost) everything filmed right on the streets. Which gives it a really cool gritty and real feel to it. The cinematography is great and they keep the SFX to a minimum. It's a must see in my book!

We watched Control at the weekend, which is about the late Joy Division lead singer, Ian Curtis.

Don't usually go for biographical films, but this was very good. It's an interesting story and I really felt like I understood his motivations the whole way through.

Recommended.

Dollhouse continues to develop. The new episode (12th) was again possibly the best yet.

Also, there's an old friend in the past two episodes.

I just saw a pretty damn cool movie called push. I really recommend you go see it if you liked the premise of heroes but didn't like the heavy handedness of that show. It's about people having psychic abilities being chased by the government. It all takes place in Hong Kong with (almost) everything filmed right on the streets. Which gives it a really cool gritty and real feel to it. The cinematography is great and they keep the SFX to a minimum. It's a must see in my book!

the end fight with the color pigments was pretty epic... I generally have a grudge against movies that just don't want to end but this one was pretty well made :)

The penultimate episode of Dollhouse was utterly brilliant, easily the best episode of the series. As brkl mentions, an old friend turns up and is a very welcome addition to the cast :tup:

The final episode, however, was one of the worst. The cringe inducing moments are back, albeit to a lesser extent than some of the earlier episodes, and the anti-intellectual, anti-science themes are back too. It's the latter part that I really take issue with. The notion that ignorance and gut instinct trumps well informed reason has been vaguely simmering throughout the series, coming to the fore every now and then. Looking back it's actually one of the main messages of the show and it makes my blood boil :(