Marek

Have you ever played games on your mobile?

Do you play games on your mobile?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play games on your mobile?

• Yes (frequently)
    • Yes (sometimes)
    • No
    • Once or twice but never again oh dear god no

You put this up to mock me didn't you marek, DIDN'T YOU!?

so far the results represent the market quite accurately, there are very few repeat customers.

Yes. I played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. And completed it. On my Motorola V-something when I had to take the bus to school every day.

;(

I do all the time on my RAZR. (Or more accurately, I HVE PLYD GMZ on RAZR).

My favorite game is still Chessmaster, but I've played a lot of the Gameloft sidescrollers too. The Prince of Persia games are great (even the unfortunately named "harem adventures", which has to be the most misleading title ever), as is Splinter Cell.

Although I've had a lot of bad luck with other companies. Ratchet & Clank was ass, I really didn't like Doom RPG, and I love Zuma on Live Arcade, but my phone isn't powerful enough to play it.

But Chessmaster's still great. And Block Breaker Deluxe is fun if you're in the mood for an insane Breakout clone (seriously, it's like Arkanoid on acid...boss battles and everything).

I've played some shitty "3D" golf game a couple of times on my Nokia 6230i that I dropped in to a lake a month ago by accident.

Bye bye 300€... :(

I used to play Ancient Empires on my Siemens SX1. And I enjoyed it.

no, I tried once, but my motorola L7 keys are soooo small. that and the fact that I never understood how to upload java games to a motorola phone...

since I'm a potential sudoku addict, I would gladly have that bundled with my phone and not some boring snake/arkanoid/golf variant.

I play a couple quite often; old Sony Ericsson versions of Black Jack and Space Invaders--with the Black Jack game being my favourite.

As for 'brand' games, War of the Worlds by GameLoft is brilliant (truthfully) - but too short. It's scoring system isn't nearly intelligent enough either, making it a missed opportunity to provide some seriously addictive combo-based gameplay. A real shame.

Other mobile games I've played (all by GameLoft) include:

• Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow
    Actually quite fun but, again, very short.
  • Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory
    Inferior to the earlier Pandora Tomorrow version, because it relies on gimmicks to provide distinction.
  • Sexy Poker 2004
    Was hoping for a quality card game, but childish pixelated smut needlessly dominates every aspect.
  • King Kong - Official Mobile Game of the Movie
    Pretty crap platformer, and extremely short.
  • 2005 Real Football
    Much too demanding on my humble T610's limited resources for what it is, rendering it almost unplayable.
  • Medieval Combat - Age of Glory
    Mobile-loading-time-hell equivalent of PSP title Smackdown vs. Raw 2006--it's shit once it's finally finished churning, too (I had intended to ring GameLoft and ask for my money back, but never got around to it).

The above list is in 'purchased order', and, after the last two, I've gone off mobile gaming completely--except for the two bespoke Sony Ericsson titles I mentioned at the start.

Having said that I have played Doom RPG a little on my brothers significantly-newer Sony Ericsson phone, and that's quite fun actually. Novel too, and, being turn-based, it also makes an extremely appropriate mobile game.

So, to sum up; I'd recommend either War of the Worlds (any phone) or Doom RPG (newer phones) if you were looking to buy a modern mobile game.

Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves are about the only two mobile games that I'd want to really try out.

Doom RPG and Orcs & Elves are about the only two mobile games that I'd want to really try out.

I was interested in Doom RPG, but after I bought it I found I just couldn't get into it.

It's a turn based RPG using Doom sprites, which sounds like a good idea, but honestly, I just found it distracting. Also the Doom Marine storyline really doesn't interest me in an RPG setting.

Nowadays I find the games pretty good, I for instance have the original sonic1 for mega drive on my sonyericsson W900i, I play it when I go on the subway.

And before when I had the P900 I had monkey Island 2 on it, with scummvm, that was even more great.

That doesn't count because it wasn't voluntary.

Oh man think of 'consoles' like Gizmondo and N-gage... I wonder what percentage of the total number of people that ever played those were testers...

Man I used to love hiding in the toilets at work and playing Black Bean.... or Jap Bean... or whatever it was called, on my old old old Nokia...

I played a bit of Cannon Fodder on my Ericsson K750i and I cried. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't use the tiny joystick to aim correctly.

I also tried some Joust and Sensible Soccer and cried again (and played the violin).

However I did play tons of Tetris during an unbelievingly boring programming conference.

In my opinion there are only two kinds of good mobile games. The really ridiculously simple ones (Tetris, but better yet Snake) or alternate reality or adventure games that don't really rely too much on the screen or the controls. That last category seems largely unexplored.

In the near future, you could also imagine a genre of, essentially, MMOs or MUDs. (Technically you could already do sort of a half-assed web-based game one using WAP I guess?)

I played a virtual darts game (don't ask... it was free and preloaded) on my two year old Ericsson while waiting for a train once. I much prefer the modern method of people looking over my shoulder wondering what the hell I'm doing while playing Gitaroo Man on my PSP. Nobody ever seems to understand that game until they play it...

since my current phone is a windows mobile phone and since there's a scummvm for it yes, play games quite often. But it is quite difficult to play the scumm games on your phone.

my mobile is over six years old. so i can only play the games which were on it, when i purchased it: tetris and solitaire. quite entertaining for a while. but i only play on it, when i have to wait for something and when nothing to read is available which is pretty seldom.

<bitch>Isn't "shitty" a forgone with anything sporting that badge?</bitch> :shifty:

Hey, now, those guys pay my salary!

since I'm a potential sudoku addict, I would gladly have that bundled with my phone and not some boring snake/arkanoid/golf variant.

I play sudoku on it. This one to be exact. It plays great. You can get it through wap.

Man I used to love hiding in the toilets at work and playing Black Bean.... or Jap Bean... or whatever it was called, on my old old old Nokia...

Funny, I just got back from mine playing Bust a Move. I find that for the most part only puzzle games are truly fun on the mobile level. Others I've played:

Tecmo Bowl - Fairly accurate, but there's no option to play a tournament or anything. You just play a game and then another. Plus it's ridiculously easy.

Baldur's Gate - Played through it, but it sucked pretty bad as far as fun goes.

Elevator Action - Fun, but not enough downloadable levels to make it last.

Military Madness - Never played the original, but this game was great. Ran out of fun after went through all 18 levels (no random maps or anything), but it was great fun while it lasted.

Age of Empires - Fun like above, but not as fun. Needs a damn mouse.

Thanks to Verizon Wireless, all my games are BREW and therefore, need to be bought. Which basically means... I need a DS to sneak here :).

I.... Have an N-Gage...

I already explained why I have one before, I used to have S60 Nokia which got stolen and the N-Gage was the cheapest S60 that would accept my backup data!

The game for the system suck, but it's great for playing mobile games!

I have a few adventure games for it and a plataformer or two...

Mobile games will always be short, due to the limitations of the phones. It's always easier to make a phone game that will work on several phone than make games to match the requierements of each cell phone...