Sign in to follow this  
BigJKO

Castle Crashers

Oh, man. It looks awesome!

Certainly does--hurray for the 2D revival!

I'm still pinning my hopes on a GBA version of Behemoth's super-violent beat 'em up Dad 'N Me.

This may be what finally convinces me to get a 360. I've been considering it, and this pushes me over the edge. I just wish that they'd make it a bit more stable. The only reason I haven't got one yet is because I'm always hearing about the red lights of death. I was planning on waiting 'till the (hopefully better crafted) second or third production run. But now Castle Crashers. Time to start saving...

I don't think it is a XBLA exclusive, the game premiered on the Gamecube didn't it?

For the time being it is XBLA exclusive.

Yeah, the "new game each Wednesday" thing in general is pretty sweet and is warming me up to buying a 360. It's good that Castle Crashers is going to be one of those games.

Sucks that it is XBLA exclusive.

What sucks is that no publisher picked this lovely looking game up. I'm glad XBLA exists so that games like this can be made.

As for buying a 360, it's games like this, along with Geometry Wars, Worms 2D XBLA (T17 are very close to officially announcing it) and Jeff Minters new game that'll talk me into it. Of course, there'll be a couple of "full" games that I'll want to get too, but I think XBL is the 360s greatest strength.

I think it's best to wait till next year though ... while the build quality seems to be good now, they'll be manufacturing the 65nm chipsets starting next year, which means cheaper, quieter and cooler xbox360s.

(http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148098.html)

SiN

OK, so now I'm seriously considering getting a 360, and as people here are spread across a bunch of regions, I thought I'd pose the question to you guys.

After seeing this and this, I'm thinking about getting a Japanese 360. The power cables would be the same, and as long as I don't mind ordering online and waiting a week or so, every single game (with the exception of Amped 3) that was released somewhere in english is playable in english on the Japanese box. For about $20 cheaper. Also, the system itself is $150 cheaper. (premium, Canadian dollars) All great so far, yeah? Problem is, nowhere is there any mention of XBLA stuff. I don't want to miss out on things like Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars. Do they have restrictions such as "You Xbox must be from Country X to download this game?" Am I hosed for XBLA if I don't have an Xbox from my own region? Essentially, can those of you in Europe download North American games without hassle?

Wow, that was kind of rambling. Sorry 'bout that.

Your Live account will be regionally tied, but there's nothing connecting the 360's region with that of the account. That means you can have an American account on a Japanese 360 and vice versa. I guess you could get multiple accounts if you wanted to download anime or something (JP-accounts only), but it won't be necessary. I think the US marketplace has the most content, so that would probably be the best choice.

I'm fairly certain what I just posted is correct, but do get it checked before you fork over a ton of cash.

After browsing around I came across an article about getting a Japanese account on an American Xbox to play the chromehounds demo. What you're saying sounds like the same deal, so it's now quite likely that I'll grab a Japanese 360. The only thing really holding me back now is the ol' "red lights of death" thing that seems so common among players. Gamebrink says "Luckily Japan and Asia X360’s having been manufactured at a later date seem to be reliable and no reports of mass breakdown or red lights of death have been reported." but I don't know how much I want to stake a bunch of money on that claim.

Hmmmm ... I'm not too sure.

First off, like I mentioned before, waiting until next year for the cheaper (and more importantly) cooler systems might be a good idea. Overheating 360s aren't an issue anymore, but I've heard that they're still rather loud and still have a large PSU. The 65nm 360s will almost certainly fix both these issues.

More importantly, I'm not entirely convinced by that first article. It's saying a tonne of things about what the 360 is like *now* but Microsoft can change all of that at a whim. Everything mentioned could turn right around:

The price of games in Asia could go up.

They don't *need* to include English in their games.

XBL accounts could start to be region-locked.

And when the region-locking games starts getting stricter, and the releases in Asia get thinner, you'll be stuck with a system that can't actually play any of the games you want.

So yeah, it does sound like a great deal right now, but everything could change and you'd definitely lose out. On the other hand, everything could stay the same, and you'd have saved a good deal of money. Whether it's worth the risk or not is up to you, I just wanted to point out that there are risks, as the article you posted doesn't seem to go into them too much.

SiN

True enough. Also, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle if something DOES go wrong. Maybe there'll be a price drop this winter and all my worries will go away.

This may be what finally convinces me to get a 360. I've been considering it, and this pushes me over the edge. I just wish that they'd make it a bit more stable. The only reason I haven't got one yet is because I'm always hearing about the red lights of death. I was planning on waiting 'till the (hopefully better crafted) second or third production run. But now Castle Crashers. Time to start saving...

I've had zero problems with my 360. No red lights of death, no problems whatsoever.

I've probably played more live arcade games (lately a LOT of Uno) than I have retail releases, but still, I'm very happy with my 360. I've even used it as a DVD player, as it supports automatic bookmarking (as of the last dashboard update) and has a less sensitive laser than my TiVo DVD player does (so scratched up discs from Netflix don't skip).

You know what? I really hope the rumours of Hudson porting Bomberman Saturn to XBLA are true. Bomberman Angst I won't touch with a ten foot pole, but ten player simultanous Bomberman? Awesome.