Oath

Team Fortress 2 and Portal

Team Fortress 2 is utterly mental. I'm doing incredibly badly but having great fun along the way. :tup:

Oh, if anyone's in a giftful mind tomorrow, I still haven't played Episode 1. ;)

Oh, if anyone's in a giftful mind tomorrow, I still haven't played Episode 1. ;)

Me too! Me too!

/me shakes begging cup

I'm scared. Tomorrow it gets released properly. Which means tomorrow, the barrier for entry is lowered from "credit card => over 18" to "mummy I want it, MUMMY I WANT IT". In-game chat has been so pleasant these past few weeks; the only thing that gets said are helpful words of advice. Every single game of Counter-Strike I've played in the last year has had someone insulting someone else within 10 minutes of me starting playing and a full on slagging match within 30. Please be nice. Please be nice, children.

I'm scared. Tomorrow it gets released properly. Which means tomorrow, the barrier for entry is lowered from "credit card => over 18" to "mummy I want it, MUMMY I WANT IT". In-game chat has been so pleasant these past few weeks; the only thing that gets said are helpful words of advice. Every single game of Counter-Strike I've played in the last year has had someone insulting someone else within 10 minutes of me starting playing and a full on slagging match within 30. Please be nice. Please be nice, children.

And surprisingly a lot of helpful members through the in-game voice chat. It hadn't occurred to me how 'mature' the experience has been so far until you voiced your concerns. I guess we'll find out soon enough whether you're right to be wary :blink:

Incidentally for those that haven't seen this yet, there is a heart warming (:D) and cute TF2 machinima featuring the Pryo doing the rounds. Check it out here:

Favorite classes anyone?

Spy all the way. Theres something sick and satisfying about disguising yourself as an enemy, stabbing the tank being pumped by two medics, and then running away and doing it again.

Incidentally for those that haven't seen this yet, there is a heart warming (:D) and cute TF2 machinima featuring the Pryo doing the rounds. Check it out here:

Poor Pyro - that's very cute indeed. Music's great too.

I love the muffled yells the Pyro makes, for example when calling a medic. Not one of my favourite characters otherwise though.

Those "Meet the ..." videos are of superb quality! My favourite so far is probably the Engineer clip. Is it safe to assume that they are going to make one for each class?

Yup, I'm pretty sure they will. I read somewhere that the next one will Meet the Spy, which I'm really looking forward to. I'm just starting to get that hang of the spy a bit more in the game, and he has some great Sean Connery style voice samples ("I was never really on your side!")

The pyro suddenly got really good about a week ago when they increased his close-range damage. Now he's utterly superb at clearing out capture points and tight corridors. In fact for the first day I think they buffed him a bit too much - every sertver I went to had insane amounts of firey death. Of course this meant more opportunities to hear my favourite voice clip in the game, from the soldier:

I! AM! ON! FIIIRRRE!

Ah.. didn't know it was increased. One of the reasons why I didn't use Pyro before was that his flamethrower felt so weak. I guess I got to give him another try.

Heh, the Demoman video was good, but the engineer vid is still my favourite too. Especially when he stops playing the guitar and smiles as the missiles hit their target.

My favourite class is the Heavy. I've managed over 15 minutes without dying, and a kill streak of 16 (19 points). And it feels so good to mow down the entire opposing team in a matter of seconds when you manage to sneak up behind them in narrow areas. The heavies' laughter perfectly matches my own.

I've been trying to diversify a bit lately, but I often end up switching back to heavy if my team starts falling apart - he's such an important lynchpin, you can rally a devastating counterassault around him and bring the game back from the brink.

I'm not particularly good at any class but I enjoy the Engineer and the scout. The spy is getting very difficult to pull off these days, whilst the sniper is something I fall back on when I'm not having much luck with the other classes :D

I was having most luck (i.e. sucking the least) with the Demo Man last night because he's so spam friendly.

I'm traditionally sneaky though, so am looking forward to trying the spy. From a comment at Rock Paper Shotgun:

I like it because, unlike every other class, the skill ceiling echoes the limits of human social reasoning.

They were talking about how it's easy to spot a "friendly" soldier running straight back into the base, but to strafe backwards behind the enemy front, behaving like the class you're impersonating... :)

The spy is getting very difficult to pull off these days

Getting shotgunned multiple times by your team-mates whenever you get too close to them sure is a novel way to earn their trust.

Heh, that isn't always as effecive as people think. A few times now people have shot my spy while I was disguised. But if I ignore it and pretend to be doing something they often assume I'm safe and I'll still have half my life left. Then I destroy their carefully constructred turret installation.

Yeah, the Spy's tendency to not spill blood when shot makes it a real pain to identify them. Playing as a Pyro is good though as you can just lash every friendly you see with a bit of flame, and if they're a Spy they'll immediately set alight.

I've not played with the Spy too much, but when I did a few days ago I really enjoyed it. The hardest part was learning to use the cloak conservatively, only using it to get past specific enemies and remembering to turn it off. Heck, after a while I was treating it more like a game of Metal Gear Solid; it's so much easier said than done doing a bit of Solid Snake against real people. ;(

I largely see the Spy as something I use for just one spawn or two though, when there's a particularly fiendish sentry or something that's holding the entire team back. It makes more sense to just go sort it out and then re-spawn as your usual class than let your team spend hours tying to get through it.

Spies seem to always be Pryos or Mechanics in my experience :D

The problem with shooting them, I find, is that they don't always unmask on the first shot. Is that something anyone else has found to be true? I sometimes have to hit them two, maybe three times before they'll fully unmask.

Well, I dont think the spy is automatically unmasked by shooting them. Either they'll panic and shoot back, revealing themselves, or they'll die. Or not die and you'll be none the wiser. But so far I have the least life expectancy as a spy.

No he's right, shooting them literally has no perceptible effect.

The only way you know a Spy is a Spy is if you keep shooting them and they drop dead; until then, they don't bleed and they don't lose their disguise. Of course, while doing this they can't actually retaliate in any way and are secretly hoping you'll give up and assume they're friendly.

This is mainly because in TFC people just got used to shooting everyone and anyone on their own team, looking out for the blood or the grunt that'd give them away as an enemy. It kind of made it impossible to actually be disguised, while the new system gives them at least a fighting chance. :tup:

Ah! I never knew this as a spy - I'll stop being so damn suspicious when they have shotguns trained on my head now! :yep:

The latest announcement on IT's Steam Community;

"Now that the orange box has been released officially, how do you guys feel about an Idle Thumbs online meet-up? A friendly TF2 match just for the fun of it?" - ysbreker

Just adding my name to the list :gaming: