Oath

Team Fortress 2 and Portal

I have a feeling I would get bored pretty quickly playing that kind of levels. It could be that the room in the video was just particularly dull, though.

I really hope it all isn't just the same stuff over and over. I think Narbacular had it right by virtue of the fact that you could beat it on your first go through in about 20 minutes. It would have gotten pretty old pretty fast had it lasted any longer. Still, I'll be getting Episode 2 regardless, so I won't be complaining about a free game.

I really hope it all isn't just the same stuff over and over. I think Narbacular had it right by virtue of the fact that you could beat it on your first go through in about 20 minutes. It would have gotten pretty old pretty fast had it lasted any longer. Still, I'll be getting Episode 2 regardless, so I won't be complaining about a free game.

Portal is, according to Valve, "a three-to-four-hour experience."

Anyone feel like pointing out some cool stuff from those Episode 2 movies without spoiling anything?

The bending metal thing from the trailer seems really cool. Apparently, they got some super geek from WETA to code the entire material bending technology stuff, I dunno. Seems neat-o and swell.

Anyone feel like pointing out some cool stuff from those Episode 2 movies without spoiling anything?

The bending metal thing from the trailer seems really cool. Apparently, they got some super geek from WETA to code the entire material bending technology stuff, I dunno. Seems neat-o and swell.

The last video has a great example of their cinematic physics. Videos also show a new tag-along ally (spoiled in screens earlier though), "new" vehicle, new enemies, some old enemies in some locales that spice things up considerably.

I think all the shadows are cast by actual light sources this time around.

What did that creature drop in the house? Was it a mine?

A resistance fighter that it pounced on as it entered the building.

Nasty.

Yeah. It's still quite a way from completion so perhaps they've simply not sorted out their attack animations and stuff. I'd imagine getting the Medic to convincingly inject someone with poison is a bit of a pain, as is dealing with all that fire.

I really want to see the medic though as that was my class of choice throughout my TFC years. :woohoo:

Bah, I can already see the hordes of 'pr0' players running around in their medic suits going all rambo on eachother :hmph:

'objective? Why get the flag when you can frag an patch yourself up again?'

bah :hmph:

(This might be just my own experience with Enemy Territory. Not basen on any experience with Team Fortress :blink:)

Yeah, it's not really the case. The Medic is probably the most effective flag capturing class in TFC since he can do jumps off his concussion grenades (sending him hurling across an entire map if you can do it properly), has a nail gun that's superb for taking out sentry guns, has a slowly replenishing health metre, and is fast.

It looks like they're making the Scout a bit more effective though, looking at the new gameplay video. He was intended to be the premiere flag capturing class but really wasn't. With that ability to bollock people with his baseball bat it could totally change the stakes.

TFC doesn't actually turn into that much of a frag fest since there's a lot more points to be made on capturing flags. Players simply in it for the points (who usually cause the frag fests in other games) generally go for the flags.

Bah, I can already see the hordes of 'pr0' players running around in their medic suits going all rambo on eachother :hmph:

'objective? Why get the flag when you can frag an patch yourself up again?'

Simple reason this won't work; winning on frags alone is extremely difficult.

If memory serves me correctly, you get the equivalent of between 10-20 'frags' for each capture. If you're pissing about going for frags, your flag gets stolen over and over. Bad team organisation and cooperation equals a whitewash--it's that simple and Valve won't change that for the sequel.

Yeah it's pretty amazing how balanced TFC is. You're pretty much given no option but to cooperate and for the most part that's exactly the case. Even the lone snipers do their team a great service by using the base's prime sniper spots and keeping the enemy away from the flag.

http://www.aperturescience.com/

Pretty interesting piece of viral marketing for Portal. Type LOGIN and supply the password PORTAL, and you're in.

And if you type THECAKEISALIE in the command line you'll get a message from one of your co-workers, revealing some information that may or may not tie the game firmly to the Half-Life universe (info).

The whole asking for permission to type CONTINUE from your supervisor makes me think Chet and Erik have rightly been kept busy over at Valve...

Yeah the whole thing has Chet and Erik written all over it. Hilarious stuff.

The whole asking for permission to type CONTINUE from your supervisor makes me think Chet and Erik have rightly been kept busy over at Valve...

I'm fairly certain that they are doing writing for Portal (sarcastic/sadistic announcer for example).

Screw the beta - give me my Orange Box, damnit! But otherwise: yes, very excited.

Team Fortress 2 is going to make Halo 3 multiplayer look as retarded as the vast majority of people playing it. FACT.

So, is TF2 supposed to crash? I got about one minute of play time on my own server before the game broke some computer law. That's beta, for you, I guess.

Hellishly good fun! The engine and stylistic approach is entertainment in itself. There's nothing terribly new on the gameplay front, this is still just Team Fortress, but it's an extremely entertaining romp nonetheless and it's got a lot of little details which flesh the experience out even further. I'm seriously enjoying my time.

Some maps are incredibly difficult at the moment (everyone is getting to grips and faffing about) but if you can get a balanced server you'll be in for a treat :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: