Oath

Team Fortress 2 and Portal

It certainly feels that way, in that there's a nice mapping between in-game training and real world preparation for their use "in the field". But what's been shown so far is a puzzle game, and HL is an action game series and to try and glue the two types of gameplay together seems like it would be a mess. Still, there's no point discussing this based on a 2min preview video, so I'll just go and put my "wait and see" cap on and sit in the corner patiently.

Half Life 2 is an action game full of enemies who shoot at you, but there are plenty of puzzle-type situations throughout every Half Life game, and it's not much of a stretch to see the sort of physics-engine-inspired puzzles from Half Life 2 take a turn for the even more ridiuclous (and fun) with the portal gun involved. The fact that you could conceivably fight monsters by flinging them through portals which then smack them against walls or drop them off cliffs is fairly intriguing.

I'm guessing it'd be more like the Xtreme physics gun, in that it would only be available to you for smaller parts of the game, in controlled environments (sounds a bit silly in a game) designed to be completed with the portal gun. It wouldn't work as just another gun in the arsenal.

Also, multiplayer Portal would be totally awesome and cool.

TFC is prolly my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time. TF2 looks totally awesome. Too bad it's bundled with episode 2 because I can't buy it until I beat episode 1 and I can't buy episode 1 until I beat half-life 2.

TFC is prolly my favourite multiplayer FPS of all time. TF2 looks totally awesome. Too bad it's bundled with episode 2 because I can't buy it until I beat episode 1 and I can't buy episode 1 until I beat half-life 2.

I'm pretty sure Valve won't come to your house and punch you if you don't play the single-player bit right away. Expect some pushing and teasing though.

I'm pretty sure Valve won't come to your house and punch you if you don't play the single-player bit right away.

Ah but that's not how my brain works.

I can't buy it until I beat episode 1 and I can't buy episode 1 until I beat half-life 2.

Can I be so bold and ask why you haven't finished half-life 2 yet?

Can I be so bold and ask why you haven't finished half-life 2 yet?

Not a day goes by that I don't ask myself the very question.

The secondary click would teleport you to a small cave in Xen filled with goodies (maybe somewhere else too, I remember teleporting into a part of the training obstacle course at some point, only it was full of evil animals) .

That's what happened if you tried to secondary fire from Xen (i.e. after you already secondary fired) IIRC.

Heh, I'd completely forgotten about the portal-shooting gun. I used to annoy the hell out of my friends with that thing in OpFor Deathmatch. "Gonna shoot me? Gonna shoot me? Guess what? Now you're gone."

Good times. 13 years old and a pain in the ass to most others online, but fond memories nonetheless.

Hey, c'mon now. I've gotten much better over the past 5 years. :fart:

What, you don't need to rely on the portal gun anymore to win? :erm:

well, I meant interpersonal skills. The portals were mostly for irritating my friends. I haven't played anything not-mario-kart online in years.

Heh, I'd completely forgotten about the portal-shooting gun. I used to annoy the hell out of my friends with that thing in OpFor Deathmatch. "Gonna shoot me? Gonna shoot me? Guess what? Now you're gone."

Good times. 13 years old and a pain in the ass to most others online, but fond memories nonetheless.

This seems like a much more pleasant way of irritating people online than calling them a "fag" every 2 minutes. :oldman:

About Mario Kart. Just got it and am loving it. Couldn't find anyone online, though. Are people still playing it? How long am I supposed to wait to get some people to race?

About Mario Kart. Just got it and am loving it. Couldn't find anyone online, though. Are people still playing it? How long am I supposed to wait to get some people to race?

You do have to be patient while the NiWiFi service locates opponents for you. And yes; thousands of people are still playing it--my Friend Code is in my profile if you fancy a whipping some time. :owned:

PS: Fag.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/721/721494p1.html

About portal.

IGN: The demonstration at EA's Studio Highlight was excellent. Some things that we wanted to clear up, however, stem from Portal's separation or integration into HL2: Episode 2. Is it a standalone game or it is part of Episode 2? Also, we gather from the demo Portal is a single-player game, is this correct? If so, will Valve develop it into a multiplayer game in the future?

Kim Swift: Portal is a first-person, single-player game set in the Half Life universe. It is a stand-alone game that will provide an extra three hours of gameplay to the HL2: Episode 2 game package. The initial release is to be single-player only, but we have lots of ideas for multiplayer with Portal for future projects.

Gameplay video is out. I am lazy so my thoughts are here, and I YouTube'd the video

Heh. I love the way they run. Also, did I hear a Wilhelm scream? I could've sworn...

EDIT: Ok, TWO Wilhelm screams.

The style really comes out here! It looks superb and humorous. Also, it'd be funny if they'd really put the Wilhelm scream in there as a soundbyte.

Whoa, good stuff right there. Thanks for the link. Only thing that doesn't seem completely perfect is that the Heavy's muzzle-flash is a bit tame. Didn't want to cover too much of his view, I guess. Loved the scout bit anyway.

Ok.. Team Fortress 2 looks pretty awesome! A bit NOLFish. I like how different from each other those classes actually are.

But why do I love that background music?

The new

didn't interest me as much.

TF2 is looking really good. I hope Valve have tweaked the character and level balances from TFC to make it fresh, but not completely overhauled it--it worked brilliantly as it was.

The new
didn't interest me as much.

...really? That looks even better than the original Portal vid. I'm glad the new female vox wasn't just for Valve's original Portal showreel either, and will actually feature in the game. :tup: