Oath

Team Fortress 2 and Portal

The [Portal] voice was a bit lame, maybe

Valve are most likely putting this into the Half-Life universe, somehow. Maybe the robot voice is to give the impression that the entities making experiments on you aren't able to speak with a human-like voice. Like... aliens.

Some have theorized it's Shephard from Opposing Forces who has been sold by the G-Man to some alien race, for experiments.

That would be just too awesome if Sheppard would make his return in Ep2/ep3

I can't help but feel you are being willfully asinine in trying to suggest otherwise.

Welcome to the Idle Forums. ;(

PS: Both of those trailers are insane and awesome. HL2 was already a guaranteed buy for me but now it's pretty much off the charts anticipation-wise.

Yeah, I really can't believe how awesome it looks. Yet another Valve product that I'm almost desperate to throw my money at. :~

Honestly, I hope they don't incorporate Portal into the HL2 universe. It seems that they've already lost the Dungeon Keeper 2 vibe that I got from the graphics of Narbacular Drop, and that's a pity. One thing though: Where can I find the trailer in HD? Is that the fileplanet one? I've only seen the stream so far and wouldn't mind some high quality wow-ing.

Yeah, I really can't believe how awesome it looks. Yet another Valve product that I'm almost desperate to throw my money at. :~

would actyally be my first... then again, valve apperently bought "portal" so it's not a real creation by valve but more of an adaption.

I was talking about TF2 elmuerte, but Portal looks hot too. :grin:

Honestly, I hope they don't incorporate Portal into the HL2 universe.

Valve's already said its part of the HL2 universe, so no use wasting hopes on that.

Valve's already said its part of the HL2 universe, so no use wasting hopes on that.

The thing is, "incorporation into a universe" can go in two directions can't it. Core HL2 concepts can get referenced in Portal, or stuff from Portal can get referenced in core HL2 games (or both). The former seems easy and likely; the latter seems a little tricky and unlikely (and as far as I can tell, what miffy objects to).

There was plenty of portals in H-L and you even had a gun that shot portals in the first expansion.

Let's throw together :grin:

The thing is, "incorporation into a universe" can go in two directions can't it. Core HL2 concepts can get referenced in Portal, or stuff from Portal can get referenced in core HL2 games (or both). The former seems easy and likely; the latter seems a little tricky and unlikely (and as far as I can tell, what miffy objects to).

You know, Portal could be a player training exercise for when Valve introduce portal-based gameplay into a forthcoming episode...

There was plenty of portals in H-L and you even had a gun that shot portals in the first expansion.

I remember the portals. But I don't remember a portal shooting gun?

If they're really incorporating Portal in to the HL universe, I'm almost as excited to see how they do that as I am to play the game.

You know, Portal could be a player training exercise for when Valve introduce portal-based gameplay into a forthcoming episode...

It certainly feels that way, in that there's a nice mapping between in-game training and real world preparation for their use "in the field". But what's been shown so far is a puzzle game, and HL is an action game series and to try and glue the two types of gameplay together seems like it would be a mess. Still, there's no point discussing this based on a 2min preview video, so I'll just go and put my "wait and see" cap on and sit in the corner patiently.

I remember the portals. But I don't remember a portal shooting gun?

IIRC (though this is vague and probably wrong on some details), OpFor had a gun that would fire the same kind of portals as the Nihilanth fired at you at the end of HL1. The primary fire shot a teleport bubble at an enemy and was a kind of instakill, the secondary fire would teleport you to somewhere else in the level. The "ammo clip" was about 3 shots big, I think.

I don't even remember the Portals. Were they on Xen, or what?

The scientists at Black Mesa were experimenting with portal technology. That was sort of the whole reason for the resonance cascade that started everything in the first place. There were portals all over the place in Lambda complex (remember that awful jumping puzzle in the core?) as well as in Xen.

There was also of course a massive portal in Half-Life 2 ...

... right at the end just before you blow up the Citadel. If you look up you can faintly see into the Combine world, complete with alienish sky and strange tower things. Those drop ships that you fight come through it, and Breen was trying to escape through it.

Screenshot

Obviously nowhere near as advanced as the portals in Portal, but portals have consistently been part of the HL series. It'd seem a fairly natural progression for a future episode to feature them more prominently.

IIRC (though this is vague and probably wrong on some details), OpFor had a gun that would fire the same kind of portals as the Nihilanth fired at you at the end of HL1. The primary fire shot a teleport bubble at an enemy and was a kind of instakill, the secondary fire would teleport you to somewhere else in the level. The "ammo clip" was about 3 shots big, I think.
The secondary click would teleport you to a small cave in Xen filled with goodies (maybe somewhere else too, I remember teleporting into a part of the training obstacle course at some point, only it was full of evil animals) . There was either a portal there to take you back, or you had to shoot yourself again.