schepton

Grim Fandango Movie Rumors

It always boggles my mind how tremendously dull and boring Master Chief is (a ROBOT without PERSONALITY, for christ's sake), and yet people are seriously voting for him in greatest-game-characters contests.

You don't understand! You didn't read the books!

It always boggles my mind how tremendously dull and boring Master Chief is (a ROBOT without PERSONALITY, for christ's sake), and yet people are seriously voting for him in greatest-game-characters contests.

s/Master Chief/Gordon Freeman/ :woohoo:

Uhm.. wait a minute "greatest-game-characters" ... books? now I'm confused

To me it's not so much about who has the spiffiest one-liners or the fact that you don't hear or see him in the game itself, it's just... Master Chief is a GIANT GREEN HELMET. I mean, I had difficulty relating to Samus, and with her I at least know there's a boring looking woman inside. But then consider Master Chief, who looks 100 times more generic 'robot' than Samus (who at least had some defining, if weird, features to her suit like those shoulders), and I get really confounded why the HELL people think he is a 'great' 'character'.

No, he isn't a great character.

He's an extremely generic looking robot.

:frusty:

Rather entertaining, those. I enjoyed them. I couldn't kill grunts in the game without feeling guilty after reading The Flood, but I enjoyed them none the less.

Are the books based on the game, or vice versa? Either way, if the poll is game characters, then it doesn't matter if the character is cool in books. Master Chief would certainly be harder up to make a top-characters-in-all-books-ever list.

nsps has an army of zombie computers that track his forum posts and make approving replies to them.

This was the plan: in order to make a movie out of his beloved game happen, the author totally made this up and counted on the internet to dublicate the nonsense (what the monkey-dog-hybrid we all share did as naturally as slavering when the blue light shines, or writing on a thousand typewriters), so that it finally lands in Tim Burtons field of vision. Mr Burton then goes like: 'I love it, lets make out with Tim Schafer', and the result is a little Grim Fandango-movie/child.

Erm, there's more to having a kid than making out. Just thought you should know.

Erm, there's more to having a kid than making out. Just thought you should know.

You lie!

Kingz is right. I learned all about it on American Dad (the only episode I've seen). I tried to find the clip, but was unable to. It's in Deacon Stan, Jesus Man. Betsy gets pregnant after making out with Steve. American Dad doesn't lie!

Seems like now would be a good time to announce that Castle Mania's expecting its third-born early next year...:woohoo:

nsps has an army of zombie computers that track his forum posts and make approving replies to them.

Damn, you! And yes, all four of those web sites do indeed prove my smartass comment about Master Chief's literary value.

That's not what I heard. Okay, I could have wrote 'lets make out with Tim Schafer long time' but I didn't want to bore people with such scientific mumbo-jumbo.

Tim Schafer is so potent that I got pregnant from reading the Double Fine news page.

Ah, I smell a class-action paternity lawsuit coming. Plus, a cute baby!

twoheadedbabysonogramoe8.png

I'd like to take this moment to reiterate: Oh my god, I hope there never, never, never, ever, ever comes a film based on Grim Fandango. There are a hojillian ways in which they can screw it up, and exactly zero ways in which they could make it work.

I'm no mathematician, so could someone else do the maths on this?

OMG it has just been confirmed that the rumours are true!!!!! !!!! !!!!!

YAYAYAYAYYY!!!!

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

It is true. I saw it on these websites:

www.idlethumbs.net

www.doublefine.com

Rodi, I think your odds are way off. There are many ways in which the concept and production design could be turned into a great film. (There are many ways to ruin it, though, I'll grant you that.)

It is true. I saw it on these websites:

www.idlethumbs.net

www.doublefine.com

Rodi, I think your odds are way off. There are many ways in which the concept and production design could be turned into a great film. (There are many ways to ruin it, though, I'll grant you that.)

I disagree, which is to say; not if it would be a remake of the game, because there's a reason it's a game and not a movie already. That said, yeah, sure it could be turned into a nice movie, but the odds are so very slim. Because if it'd be made it's bound to be a remake (because Manny's story is completely told over the course of the game), and then it'd not only be very futile, it would also be less than the game by default. Frankly, it's depressing just considering it.

(Adding: especially if Tim Burton puts his mitts on it and then tries to warp the humour to his own unique sense. Not that Burton-stuff can't be good, but Grim already has a tone of its own and it's very different than Burton's thing. Like I said; depressing.)

If I can quote Thrik, from the Grim Fandango Network forum...

Okay, the game's up. Thanks to James Isaac for doing the research.

As we can see, The Movie Center posted its 'quote' from Tim Burton about the Grim Fandango movie back on July 6th. A day later on July 7th, a detailed Wikipedia article created by somebody using the nickname "Wesborland" popped up. Take a look at this guy's contribution history and you'll see that he has been continually modifying the article ever since.

As you can see from reading through this thread, a user called Nick_Virago joined the Grim Fandango Discussion forums on July 9th asking whether or not anyone's heard anything about a Grim Fandango movie. A few posts later Nick claimed to have stumbled across this information on The Movie Center and Wikipedia:

Take note of Nick's direct implication that he found the Wikipedia article.

Ever since, Nick has been posting links to all manner of obscure websites that 'back up' the original rumour, all of which reside on free hosting and/or reference The Movie Center as the source. Thing is, some of these sites haven't existed on the internet for more than a few days, and Entertainment Now hasn't even been discovered/crawled by Google at the time of writing.

Today on July 17th, someone called wes_borland left a comment over on the World of Monkey Island about the movie. Yes, the same guy who created the Wikipedia article a week and a half ago.

The best bit? I had a word with Dalixam over at the World of Monkey Island and it turns out that we've got an IP match between Nick_Virago and Wesborland/wes_borland. This guy has been directing us towards sites of his own creation while maintaining the act that he's been finding them.

Nice.

Interesting that the same Wes Borland registered on Idle Thumbs and has posted his one and only comment in this thread.

You've been caught out, dooshbag.

Dude, it's me. MJ. From the Grim Fandango Network forums. If you aren't the same Wes_Borland who registered at the same time and talked in the same kind of threads, then I'm going to be very surprised.

So stop spreading lies. :deranged: