schepton

Grim Fandango Movie Rumors

I caught this rumour when it was pretty much the MovieCenter blog thing, and it's clearly horseshit.

The interview that the Grim quote is from is found at about.com and scifi and a bunch of other sites but without that Grim stuff. Some of the stuff attributed to Burton in the moviecenter blog is actually Helena Bonham Carter or Johnny Depp.

I'm surprised it's gotten this far.

I want Orlando Bloom to play Manny Calavera. And then Cate Blanch as Meche, and Benicio Deltoro as Hector.

I want Orlando Bloom to play Manny Calavera. And then Cate Blanch as Meche, and Benicio Deltoro as Hector.
???

EDIT: Allow me to clarify my sentiment, Cate Blanchett and Benicio Del Toro would be awesome, but Orlando BLoom?! WTF?! It would need to be someone older with a smoker's voice. I don't even know why I am spending this much processing power on this retarded news (?) story! :( :(

I remember the first time this rumor made its way around the net, about a year after Grim Fandango came out. (People pointed to the 'Manny head' in Phantom Menace as evidence that LucasFilm would make it.)

BS, definately. As far as im concerned, if there are no sequel rumors there is no chance of a movie. I think tim burton might be able to do it justice in terms of the look of the movie and style, but I don't know if he can do Grim fandango without making it sad and someone depressing.

But with Tim burton-ish art and some other director behind the camera I think it could be good. Probably wouldn't work though.

While several of the early quotes could be traced to this About.com interview with Burton, several of the others--including the Grim Fandango quote--remain of indeterminate origin and are therefore unverifiable.

It's bullshit of the highest order.

???

EDIT: Allow me to clarify my sentiment, Cate Blanchett and Benicio Del Toro would be awesome, but Orlando BLoom?! WTF?! It would need to be someone older with a smoker's voice. I don't even know why I am spending this much processing power on this retarded news (?) story! :( :(

OK, lemme clarify on my part: I started out wanting to write really lame actors, but then I began thinking about it and by the time I ended with Hector I was really trying to couple the best actor to him. So that's how things got confusing.

I apologize.

A grim fandango movie ought to be animated or something like burton's corpse bride. How are you going to show the mouths with live actors?

Yeah, an animated film like Corpse Bride or Nightmare could result in just about the only film based on a Video game that I'd like to see. Live-action would be a complete disaster.

Also, is there any evidence of a script being written? If so, who wrote it? The Burton quote directly refers to a script, so it must exist in order for the story to have any merit.

Burton should've made a Grim Fandango movie instead of Corpse Bride. It would've been just as big a failure (from commercial point of view), but would've been a better movie.

How would you pace that movie though ? Seems to me like you'd have things moving too fast from one year to another. Unless its a Grim Fandango inspired thing I can't really see it being adapted into a movie without adding more to the story.

"We haven’t heard anything about a Grim movie involving Tim Burton, except for that blog posting you saw, which is pretty fake-looking to us."

So sayeth the people at Double Fine. Which doesn't mean that much I suppose, but still.

i.e. It is fake.

Well it seems pretty obvious: why make a movie based on a dead licence that produced only one game seven years ago.

In hilariously unrelated news, see the Gamespot comments where the debate about whether or not Master Chief is black rages mercilessly.

There's no reason to do any movie directly following the plot of a game, and surely doesn't that go double for adventure games?

New plot! Same characters! Let the battle cry ring!

It always boggles my mind how tremendously dull and boring Master Chief is (a ROBOT without PERSONALITY, for christ's sake), and yet people are seriously voting for him in greatest-game-characters contests.

Yeah I don't know what's up with Halo in general. It's cool, but hey kids, there are other games too.

Yeah I don't know what's up with Halo in general. It's cool, but hey kids, there are other games too.
You lie!