Spaff

What are you playing today?

I started playing Sacrifice again, after I came across an old game magazine review of the game that stated: "The spells strike like an electric whip to the balls." Quite true, since you can actually summon up a volcano or the grim reaper himself later on in the game. And who can say that constructing manaliths, summoning manahoars, using sac-doctors to convert enemy souls, desecrating enemy altars and basically doing five god's dirty work, doesn't sound fun?

I played the game a long time ago, but didn't finish it. When the missions got a bit messy, I paniced, and after I noticed that I paniced, I got scared. Got to try harder this time.

Sacrifice also has one of the best "review quotes" I have seen, in the cover:

"Oh my God. This game is awesome!"

-Game Fan

Also wanted to give Xenogears a re-go after so much time. it's one of my favourites games and I hope I'll get the same feeling this time around.

I finally did, and it's every bit as good as I remembered:tup:

Ah I'm also playing some Painkiller and it's just plain boring... but I can't put down a game until it's finished (I have the same thing with books and movies):shifty:

Ah I'm also playing some Painkiller and it's just plain boring... but I can't put down a game until it's finished (I have the same thing with books and movies):shifty:

try reading the Silmarillion...it will break the curse

...Sacrifice...I played the game a long time ago, but didn't finish it. When the missions got a bit messy, I paniced, and after I noticed that I paniced, I got scared.

Same thing happened to me. Great game and one of the few martial strategy games I enjoyed.

Still playing ET. finished prey last weeked. Installed warhammer dawn of war but only played the first 3 missions of the campaign, might pick that up later today.

I played Sacrifice a long time ago, but didn't finish it. When the missions got a bit messy, I paniced, and after I noticed that I paniced, I got scared.

Just noticed that you can give orders while the game is paused. :frusty:

Why the hell is ctrl+p the default pause hotkey anyway?

Playing LBA1 and recording the whole game.

hey man, I didn't realize you're behind the magic ball network! awesome site! first place I looked when I reinstalled LBA:tup:

let's hope a third (worthwhile) episode will come out someday.

not only that, I'm also in front of the MBN

As for the third, unless something really weird happens there will only be a worthwhile 3rd episode. (Really werid would be something like: the IP being sold to EA who will then create a sequel)

What I am playing today (as opposed to two weeks ago or whenever this thread started) are:

Prey:- Mostly fun, has some really dull/samey bits at times but keeps things interesting with a clever idea now and then. Nothing special, though.

Seiken Densetsu: Children of Mana (DS Import):- Sort of text heavy (my Japanese isn't good enough to pick up a lot of the story) but because the game is pretty much a bunch of dungeon hacks stuck together, it works out good in the end. The combat system is enjoyable and you're given enough options between weapons and magic to employ a variety of strategies depending on your fancy. No singlecart multiplayer though, which is a shame because that would have been great.

Mario Kart DS:- I don't own this, but some guys at work have it and we play during lunch breaks and any other time we can get away with. It's a game that really needs other people in order to shine.

Seeing all the Darkstar One reviews (and me having a quite awful Elite addiction), I got this impulse to reinstall X3 which I never found the time to play, the main reason was that it took me almost two days two understand how to handle everything (and countless fan sites readings)...anyway, I just started the game and I realized I forgot how to play! nooooooooo!!! :frusty:

still, I'm printing the controls list now and even if I might get bored of the over-complexity of this thing, I never saw graphics that could suck you like this in a game world. makes you want to live in some kind of future space era...(if Tie and Xwing didn't already):tup:

Does X3 take place in those little sectors instead of planetary systems?

it takes place into sectors connected with space gates but I think you can travel from one another normally (on impulse speed:oldman:). but every sector looks different and beautiful, and there are many of them. Surely less than in elite/frontier but there's much more detail.

What's cool is that everything really seems to go on by itself and ships are flying everywhere minding their own businnes. bad thing is there isn't much interaction with other ships unless you own them or have any special businness with them. you can ask them some stupid info and that's it.

oh, and the thing that was sooo great in elite was entering planet's atmosphere and landing...nothing of that here...I think the only game doing this is the Battlecruiser series but I never tried any of those (anyone?)

Yeah, what I want to experience again is traveling to another star system in Elite3, entering atmosphere and cruising around the planet in Mach 5 without anything resembling a loading screen.

I think the only game doing this is the Battlecruiser series but I never tried any of those (anyone?)

Crap, that's another game on the Really Must Play Sometime list which I'd forgotten about. Anyone know what the difference is - apart from being released 3-4 years later and roughly twice the file size - between Battlecruiser 3000* and Battlecruiser Millennium*?

As for what I'm playing right now, I've stalled in KotOR2 and rapidly lost interest in Quake 4 on Xen (i.e. Prey). I've actually been enjoying some personally-engineered melodrama in Second Life the most in all honesty. Portable-wise, I've played a little of bit Generations title dotstream, which is great - especially the music - and will likely turn anyone who plays it into a minimalist speed freak. I'm hoping to try some of the other bit Generations titles later this month, but I'm stuck (again) in The Minish Cap so I should really get that finished first. ;(

* Free games alert! :woohoo:

Ok so not really today, but over the weekend I was playing City of Heroes/Villains seeing as they had a double xp event on. w00t.

Also I've been playing the beta of Company of Heroes, which I have to say is an absolutely amazing game. Relic have taken a lot of the good aspects of Dawn of War and added a lot very nice new features. Definately a game I'll be buying when it's finished.

:tup:

This weekend I played Mario Kart and the NSMB mini-games against some friends, and some Guitar Hero. Great fun.

I also lost 3 euros playing analog texas hold'em. :davidbrent:

I've been playing the beta of Company of Heroes

I take it you must be a FilePlanet subscriber to get access to the beta?

Yeah, or have a friend who is and beat them up until they give you their beta access for it :shifty:

A few days ago I played some Worms Open Warfare on the DS with friends. Even though I scored it a 5,5 in the [N]Gamer and it's basically a travesty of all that is Worms, with all the cool weapons stripped out, sloppy physics and not a whole lot of fun, I STILL managed to enjoy it!

Jesus, NOTHING can destroy Worms, yesno?

Jesus, NOTHING can destroy Worms, yesno?

Based on the over-complicated travesty that is Worms 4: Mayhem, I'd whole-heatedly say, "hell yes".

Portable-wise, I've played a little of bit Generations title dotstream, which is great - especially the music - and will likely turn anyone who plays it into a minimalist speed freak.

I ordered this a couple of days ago. Can't wait for the package to arrive. Once you've tried out some of the others, could you post/PM some impressions? I'm really interested in this series but Dotstream was the only one I was sure enough about to order right away.

Once you've tried out some of the others, could you post/PM some impressions?

I'll post a mini-round-up as a new thread, once I've played some of the others in the next few days or so (fingers crossed).

I'm really interested in this series but Dotstream was the only one I was sure enough about to order right away.

Same here, re: feelings towards dotstream. Did you hear that that particular bit Generations title sold out on launch day in Japan? Impressive.

Dialhex looks to be the least complicated overall to me, something akin to Tetris in terms of its accessibility - and immediacy - of play. Haven't a clue about the other five titles though; DigiDrive in particular looks completely bat-shit.

I thought that, aside from Dotstream, the most interesting one was Orbital. Looked like an addictive little zone-out game akin to Flow. I'll probably be giving it a try in the near future, especially if Liksang keeps the whole "free shipping on Bitgenerations games" thing going. Sound Voyager looked kinda neat too, but I couldn't quite get a feel for it based off of the trailer, so I'm waiting for impressions on that one. Go simplicity!

I'm currently playing Half-Life 2, though I never finished the original. I stopped playing it about a month back right when I got to the Lambda Core and never got around to playing it again. I just started playing HL2 for my first time a couple days ago, and I must say that I'm really enjoying it. I just got to Nova Prospekt, and so far it's been far more entertaining for me than the original. I'm pretty sure that I'll even finish it. The graphics are simply stunning. I love Europe, and they've captured the Eastern European look perfectly. A couple bits have dragged on a bit longer than I'd have liked, but that's far overshadowed by the amazing bits like when you break into the prison with the antlions. That was a blast.

I'm also playing The Feeble Files again, with many thanks to the scummvm team. If you've never played it, you should definitely check it out. It's truly an unacknowledged gem of the adventure genre. It's also good counterpoint to HL2. Whenever I get bored of running around blowing things up, I can switch over for some slow paced, quality adventuring.