Erkki

MaChe?

Looking for a Mister Cutie Bear iPod cozy? How about a Mario Guevera T-shirt? Head to Etsy.com, a DIY eBay where you can commission an artist to make custom jewelry, stuffed animals, furniture – almost anything you can imagine.
(empasis mine)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.07/play.html?pg=3

Heh. And here it is: http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search=Mario+Guevara&location=both

Image: http://www.etsy.com/get_jpg_detail_image.php?image_id=729672

WTF?

While it may the sincerest form of flattery, all this imitation is getting tiresome... I guess it's not their fault that Idle Thumbs is so original and awesome, but still...

There are clearly spies on our forums, reporting our every move back to some kind of t-shirt company.

This reminded me to order WaChe...

But the previous time I tried to order I-don't-remember-what from the Idle Thumbs store, I got this reply from someone from Spreadshirt:

Unfortunately we cannot dispatch the order because of a problem with the

design. It has to be modified. We have contacted our Shop-Partner and

asked him to change the product.

As we do not know when this will be done, we have canceled your order.

I hope it's ok now.

What the hell. To be honest I am actually not cool with that. We should drop them a note to let them know that art is from our site and that they needed to get permission.

That shit sucks, but nobody should expect Kotaku, the National Enquirer of the gaming world, to have any integrity.

Do they have that reputation? I have to admit I only visited them around E3, but I really liked their random E3 video coverage (like Kotaku Stalku).

Not to mention that it doesn't make any sense, what with Jake, Chris and the, uh, robot in the picture.

They pretty much publish whatever and start a lot of rumors. Some of their writing is ok, but the site overall doesn't hold up. To answer your question: they have really low credibility, which is saying something since it's an internet gaming fanzine.

Along the same lines, a couple years ago:

http://justadventure.com/articles/State_of_Adventure_Gaming/March2004/SOAG_March2004.shtm

The first graphic in the article after Sluganski's head is a direct rip from Jake's Samandmax.net template. Like, it has the obvious yellow coloring of the rest of the Samandmax.net site. The clipped off hat and ears that you see (or rather, don't) come from the fact that we sliced up images to fit them into said template HTML (see the complete image here). Couldn't JA have just taken the same shot that Jake used from the LucasArts site? Holy fuck. I guess it isn't as bad as just lifting Dan Lee's original art (which Kotaku seem to have credited now, sort of), but it's still annoying.

The marvellous gilbert-thumb-art pops up when one searches for "Ron Gilbert" with the google-image-thing. On the first page. And hey, the internet is, like, free and stuff that is free belongs to nobody, you know. And for the petty there is the generosity of Image credit.

Glee! More exposure!

Other than that, shame on you Kotaku for not asking for permission first.

Sometimes I forget Dan Lee posts here. He is making it difficult to speak for him on these matters. :getmecoat

Do you guys (idle staff) use Creative Commons or some such things for your work? (or just plain old copyright?)

I see they've added a link to idle-T at the bottom now... Was that there from the beginning or did they add that later?

Trying to find them...

there was... an accident with the reactor.

The reactor is powered by secrets