originalteadrinker

Ron Gilbert interview on Gamasutra

It's a good read. It has some insight with regard's to Ron's new game, and the difficulty he is having finding someone to take his idea seriously.

Ugh. Hope not. It sounds linteresting. I know absolutely nothing about it and it kinda sounds interesting. Anyone remember that thing he was working on, whoa, eight, nine years ago and never finished when Cavedog disappeared? Good and Evil or something like that. I still have some preliminary screenshots and some concept art saved on some old backup cd somewhere.

Gilbert is also interviewed on Gamespot in podcast and text form. Haven't listened to it yet, though it has this sidebar which I find pretty ¬

Hey, not every game with great dialogue was written by Tim Schafer. Take Dreamfall by Ragnar Tornquist, for example.

:shifty: :shifty:

Ugh. Hope not. It sounds linteresting. I know absolutely nothing about it and it kinda sounds interesting. Anyone remember that thing he was working on, whoa, eight, nine years ago and never finished when Cavedog disappeared? Good and Evil or something like that. I still have some preliminary screenshots and some concept art saved on some old backup cd somewhere.

Yeah I remember Good & Evil, I used to have an old PC Gamer USA which had a Ron Gilbert interview and those preliminary screenshots. It looked interesting even though I did never know much about the project.

An interesting read. I mostly agree with what he is saying about the state of storytelling in the industry. It has been a while since I played a game with a really absorbing, clever story. Most games seem to be based on a loose premise and rely on movie cliches or clumsy plot devices to move the story along. Since I couldn't possibly play every single game out there I honestly can't say there isn't any good storytelling. There must be the odd exception.

Well, about dreamfall. Some of the dialog was great, but Ragnar really has a problem editing the dialog. Sometimes it keeps repeating the same info over and over, and then all of the sudden you get a "by the way, I will be going to your party, Zoe" and it breaks the interest.

Yeah, sure the dialog feels "real", but real life is boring.

I never knew of this Good and Evil. I'll have to look it up somewhere, if it's still around. Good interviews by the way. It helps, you know, that Ron actually has some wise things to say about the industry.

I know, I think I read that in this very thread. I just wanted to find some shots, and I found them in a PC Gamer screenshot on the Scumm Bar. That's all I wanted to know ;) Blue cattle.

You know, when I read that Gamasutra interview with Ron and read bits about his upcoming game, the first thing I actually thought of was "Beyond Good & Evil".

...although, that may have been because I read this thread first and saw talk of his previous unfinished game, "Good & Evil". Maybe.