Tommy Gun

I'm starting to dislike used game stores.

Insert obligatory generic "buying used games screws over developers, so I find it hard to care that you had to deal with a less than perfect retail experience" reply.

Actually that's probably a bit mean since you didn't mention any games currently in proper retail release, but still, I personally wouldn't expect a first-hand retail experience when buying a second-hand product, be it games or any other product.

As one who relies on used games to find the majority of his enjoyment, I sympathize. I've moved almost entirely to eBay at this point because I can't fucking stand those guys. I even got mocked when I bought GUITAR HERO new from them! "Man, I thought people who played DDR were weird..." Fuck you too, buddy, gimme my rythm game and let me leave.

calm down... people don't work at (game) stores because they know what they sell

I have had a "fun" moment too one time. I was browsing the complete DVD collection to see if some DVDs I might want were below my limit (10 euro) when I overheard the following (translated to english ofcourse):

Guy 1 pointing at the movie "Romeo must die": "this is a great movie"

Guy 2: "Yeah Jet Li is quite the fighter"

Guy 1: "Yep, this is his best movie. The others aren't as good."

Like, wtf... "Romeo must die" is an aweful movie, even "The One" is better. Compared to "Twin Warrior" or the more recent "Hero" they are nothing.

People should simply stfu when they have absolutely no clue.

When I was in England, I went to buy some used games and I found the first Golden Sun for GBA from a Gamestation, first those guys looked for the game for like 10 minutes, then they sold me the wrong game, the second Golden Sun game.

I looked at the game and said to those idiots that "Hey, this isn't the game I'm buying guys, give me the one I want." Then they searched for like 10 minutes again and finally found the right game.

I'm surprised that they're giving you shit about what you buy. Every time I go to the ebgames near me there's at least one person there buying shit in a box in one form or another. I'd think that they'd be used to people asinine games to the point of not caring anymore (not that the games you bought are stupid). I was in there once and some guy was going on about how great the 50 Cent game (winner of numerous dubious honors) is, and the employee, who clearly thought the game sucked, just made up some crap about liking the music instead of telling the guy he needs his head examined. Actually, I guess they've got some pretty good employees there though. There's a guy there who I usually talk to about Double Fine and who seems to be on the up and up on what games are actually good.

Back when it was called Funcoland, I'd frequently get talked out of buying games, or overhear it happening to other customers--the difference there was that the employees genuinely knew what they were talking about, and had played the games. It really made me like the place more, because they weren't just trying to get you to buy everything, unlike other stores.

Recently at EB someone in line next to me was trying to buy Devil May Cry 2, and the employee practically refused to sell it to him. :D:tup: Again, he actually knew what he was talking about and explained exactly why it sucked, and told him to get 1 or 3 instead. So it's certainly not all bad. This guy just didn't have a clue.

Personally, I don't like the idea of game store employees trying to talk me out of buying a particular game. Okay, I've never played any Devil May Cry games, but let's use them as an example anyway. Let's say that I HAVE DMC 1 and 3. But I couldn't find 2. And I actually wanted to play 2. Having to go through the rigmarole of listening to some sweaty EB employee who thinks they know your game tastes better than you do is fucking INFURIATING.

I've really started to hate EB. Because of them, nearly all of my other secondhand game stores that I went to (the ones that sold awesome old NES, GB, and SNES games) are gone. Also, EB is too white. It feels bloody clinical.

The last secondhand games I bought were Rakuga Kids (a cool N64 fighter with crayon-drawn charaters by Konami), The Flintstones: Rescue of Dino and Hoppy, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, and Mickey's Racing Adventure for GBC. All in all a good haul, I think - I just wish I could find more places that had second-hand old games. I don't think I'll ever find a boxed copy of Sneaky Snakes or Mr. Chin's Gourmet Paradise.

Well, if you have DMC 1 & 3 (in theory), you probably have already read about #2, so if you still want to get it of course that's your deal. You probably would mention that to the employee. The customer clearly didn't know anything about the game, and I don't think he'd played any of them.

The reason I liked Funcoland for that was because back then I didn't follow games as closely, and probably didn't read any reviews (no internet). So if I went in to buy a game it's likely it was based on the back of the box, or maybe some commercial I saw. I was happy for the help.

I'm much wiser now.

People's advice isn't very interesting if they don't know you or you don't know them. How would they know you don't like X, maybe you do like X or maybe you simply want to try out X even if it's crap, X's price tag apperently is worth it. Besides, aren't stores supposed to make money? It would be useful if you are going to buy X they would advice you that Y is quite alike and that you might also like it.

Insert obligatory generic "buying used games screws over developers"

Nu-uh!

Most returns/trade-ins are for discounts on new game.

Suppose I buy 3 new games at their launch at a game store. A year later I trade these games for a copy of the latest blockbuster game. The store resells those 3 games to somebody else (getting more than the price of the new game back) and has sold net four games at launch (read "high") prices.

The money that goes out with reselling goes back in (and then some) with new purchases, even when it's not a trade-in situation (exceptions for edge cases like someone giving up video games forever).

I've never had that problem really, but maybe I just dont care because I have a better job than they do and could spank them down if need be.

T think It's your own paranoia, you clearly have a guilty conscious. I bet they wordlessly sell you the games and say nothing but the voices in your head speak to you.

:)

I've never had that problem. Ever. Not once in my life.

In fact, quite the opposite. I've often bought games and had the guy at the store enthuse about how good they are to me.

You're all doing something horribly wrong.

You need better social skills.

EDIT: SNAP!!!!

Just going to fall in line and agree that I've never had any trouble getting someone to take money for a product I wanted. Something that has been bothering me however, is the real lack of used games. Ever since the Dreamcast went out of stock, no store has been handling used games for it. Games older than PS2 just can't be bought outside of online auctions, for some reason.

I guess I could complain about how there's barely ever any good games available either, but that's more due to the customers than the stores (please trade in Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner, someone in Sweden).

My spider sense tells me the guy at the store was trying to get into Yufsters pants.

I've had people enthuse about games I've bought too, and even about games I've recommended (actually, the entirety of my local EB played Psychonauts as a result of my telling one of the clerks how awesome it was) and check the photo thread to estimate a likelyhood of someone wanting into my pants. (HINT: not so great.)

I don't run into problems very frequently, but they are very irritating when they occur. If I'm lucky it'll be me and one clerk against another though. Like buying Yoshi's Touch and Go (not incredible, but damn fun if you can get it cheap) ended up in a three way debate over the merits of Yoshi with regards to the Mario universe. It's really only one clerk that's a dick and that I ever have problems with. Not the youngest guy. I kinda feel sorry for him, he looks like a bitter ex-accountant or something who ended up having to take a job at EB after he was downsized. He's got at least 10 years on all the other employees. Doesn't really justify treating customers like shit though, just makes it a bit more understandable.

Do these retailers get some kind of bonus for selling those offers? When I went to get my DS Lite from GAME the other day I was stood there prepared to pay for the console itself and a full price copy of Mario Kart. Then, the counter bloke takes me to the complete other side of the shop and points out some offer which'd result in me paying £20 less as you'd get one game (like Brain Training) almost free.

I'm personally prepared to spend that bit more for something I really want as opposed to just getting something else because it's cheap, so I didn't bother. But still, I was surprised to see them going out of their way for what I assume would result in less dosh for the shop.

Which brings me back to my original question: what do they get out of this?

So far the clerks have only given me positive feedback about the games I am trying to buy. Usually they don't say anything and just do their job, but sometimes they kindly inform me that I have made a good choice (like when buying Grim Fandango or No One Lives Forever 2). I wouldn't listen to them, though, if they adviced me not to buy the game I was going to or suggested me to choose another one instead, because I usually read a lot of reviews and try the demos (if possible) before my decision.

Nowadays I tend to buy my games from alienating hypermarkets (if the game is new and popular) or from internet stores (if the game is old and unpopular). I haven't really had any problems with these ones either, except for the time I got two copies of Sid Meier's Pirates! for the price of one. I had to pay 1,10€ (the price of the envelope) for being honest.

They have offers to attract clientele and keep them. What's the point of having offers if the customers don't know about them?

I was surprised to see them going out of their way for what I assume would result in less dosh for the shop.

Which brings me back to my original question: what do they get out of this?

They get a statisfied customer out of it who is more likely to return to the same shop and spend more money there. And maybe that customer tells his/her friends about the nice sales rep. at $shop$. Even more $$ for them!

It's called word of mouth.

In a sort of reverse to the good-staff experience Thrik describes, when I was shopping for my Xbox360 a couple of months back, one of the places I visited was Cork's HMV store. They were doing deals with Ghost Recon etc, but I wanted the console on its own (I'm pretty picky about games, even if they're on offer). It turned out that the only two full pack (the €400 version) consoles they had were previously reported as faulty so they offered to assemble the equivalent out of the core version plus a 20gb harddrive for the same price.

When I pointed out that the "good" version of the console also has a wireless control pad, microphone headset, HD component cable and superior boast-value they sort of hummed and hawed and told me that I should be happy to take it seeing as it was hard to get the consoles (it isn't) and that they had a waiting list or some such. I (literally) crossed the street to Virgin and got one of the 8 or 9 machines they had there.

There's a Game in Cork, but I won't go there because they slap a 10% don't-have-a-members-club-card tax on all their stuff to make it seem like you are getting a discount if you have one.

Ooo some sales guys speak to, some even tell you about special offers, DOES THIS REALLY warrant a big fucking whiny thread?