Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Futurama returns in 2008

Wow, this thread is four years old.

In other news, Futurama is ace and I'm looking forward to seeing the new episodes when I can. Thought the movie things were pretty decent.

Hehee, yeah I searched for all threads mentioning Futurama and took one of the oldest on purpose because of the title. :)

Well, and also for an excuse to get Yufster's name to pop up somewhere in the forums...

Ill withhold judgement of the new series once they get a few regular episodes under their belt. The rebirth thing was basically a "we're back" episode and I felt the timing was pretty gilted on the gags and plot. Ending was weird too.

Also I apparently missed the last movie episode thing so a few things were "Wait, what?"

Hopefully they will find their rhythm again since the original series was so great.

I only watched the first episode last night, so perhaps I should withhold judgement till I've seen the second half, but it was pretty unfunny. I remember laughing out loud a grand total of one time, and that joke was still unmemorable.

I actually enjoyed both a fair amount, although I began to get bored of "NYYYYYYYYYYYYYYGH" in the second episode.

I had the reverse reaction. I actually liked the second one better. Perhaps I'm just partial to the Transcredible Adventures of Zapp Brannigan. I know it's shocking coming from someone who calls himself Brannigan. I just felt the first episode spent most of it's time tying up the movies and was less haha comedy. Though the amount of ridiculous plot twists was amusing.

IMO, there needs to be some sort of chaptering system for bumping threads. The main problem I with boosting threads, is to somebody who wasn't around for the original discussion, may feel lost as to why a 4 year old topic is back on the front page. Especially with games, as they're often posted as an announcement, people fight about whether the game should exist. Then it gets bumped when some promo videos are released at the next years E3, people fight over whether or not it should be made. Then the game is released, people fight over whether it should be made. Then the thread gets bumped when the game is on sale, people fight over their nostalgia. To a new reader, it's confusing to see where they should be jumping to in the timeline. Obviously the original conversation is interesting, but when you first click the link you kinda want to jump to the start of the new conversation.

I've been trying to think of a solution that would fit most naturally into a BB database and user experience. I don't think treeing off "parent" threads really makes much sense as it would segregate conversations that are really interwoven, but I do think the idea of bookmarking would work. Either systematically after a period of downtime automatically on a bump, or manually through user control, a timeline could be constructed so that people could jump straight to the new conversation. Possibly, the thread could list/link all subtopics underneath the title.

tfuYK.jpg

Anyways, as for Futurama. I'm not ready to jump on the hate train, I've enjoyed almost every episode and when they screw up it's usually isolated. I don't feel like they're running out of material or pulling shit out of their ass like Family Guy.

IMO, there needs to be some sort of chaptering system for bumping threads. The main problem I with boosting threads, is to somebody who wasn't around for the original discussion, may feel lost as to why a 4 year old topic is back on the front page.

A plugin that modifies CSS and avatars on any posts in a thread that sit prior to a three month gap or more, making them sepia :)

The only confusion I've had with thread resurrection is forgetting to look at the date on people's posts. Doesn't happen anymore now I rely on "New posts" > "Go to first unread post" though.

Oh god. Er. Yeah. Cough. Futurama.

Yeah thankfully Idle thumbs seems to be one of the only forums that correctly implements the "last post" link. Which is handy if you've read the thread before, but you often see new people debating old subjects after a bump. The idea is to extend that feature to new comers, and it probably would be easy in terms of implementation to piggy back on that functionality.

This will require some thought

-epz75bA5F0

IMO, there needs to be some sort of chaptering system for bumping threads. The main problem I with boosting threads, is to somebody who wasn't around for the original discussion, may feel lost as to why a 4 year old topic is back on the front page.

How would you feel lost? Just skim the thread. I guess all these extra things can be implemented (I'm in favor of the tumbleweeds), but it doesn't really replace just reading what's on the screen, basically.

Part of the biggest problem is a lot of newer members have no clue how long these forums have been around and they feel confused a lot, I think. The front page and podcast hardly make any indication of such.