Can anyone recommend good anime that's not about kids? Double points if it's also not predominately violent and/or pervy.

Just don't watch Gankutsuou on Crunchyroll, 'cause they don't have it in HD grr GRRRRRRRRRR.

Thanks for the recommendations. Mushi-Shi seems interesting, I'll check out House of Five Leaves too.

I watched the first episode of The Count of Monte Cristo a while back and it didn't really click with me.

If you're looking for more anime-watching suggestions, you can check out our locally crafted microbrew anime podcast, Key Frames! Found elsewhere on these forums, and also here!

(uhhh don't watch Dallos though also maybe some other stuff, ymmv)

Thanks for the recommendations. Mushi-Shi seems interesting, I'll check out House of Five Leaves too.

I watched the first episode of The Count of Monte Cristo a while back and it didn't really click with me.

I guess I'd also like to know, do you mean that you want anime that deal with adult issues or anime that don't feature children at all? I was tempted to suggest Haibane Renmei or something, but they're all mostly children, so technically...

I was thinking before just anime that wasn't primarily about kids but perhaps I'm limiting myself too much. The anime that I've enjoyed the most is stuff about adults, things like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop.

Although I did watch Princess Jellyfish a little while ago and found it surprisingly refreshing since it wasn't massive stakes melodrama. I've also been watching Your Lie In April and kinda liking it so I guess I don't know what I want :)

One episode away from the end of School-Live!

I hope they all fucking die.

they were dead all along!!!!! so spooky, mind blown, wowowowowow

I only watched the first episode, but that strikes me as a possible ending

Do we need to create a "anime quitter's club" thread just to rescue you from this high school purgatory Twig?

I was thinking before just anime that wasn't primarily about kids but perhaps I'm limiting myself too much. The anime that I've enjoyed the most is stuff about adults, things like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop.

Although I did watch Princess Jellyfish a little while ago and found it surprisingly refreshing since it wasn't massive stakes melodrama. I've also been watching Your Lie In April and kinda liking it so I guess I don't know what I want :)

I'm not familiar with You Lie in April beyond its basic premise, but if the you like the whole music school thing but want protagonists who are a bit older maybe it might be worth looking into Nodame Cantabile, I have a huge soft spot for it because it was one of the first non-shonen series i discovered back in the day, and did a generally good job of being a very watchable light drama without falling into the melodramatic traps that can plague the genre.

Haha I admit School-Live! is entirely a hate-watch at this point. I generally have one of those going on at a time.

I also participated in a NeoGAF Let's Watch for Sunday Without God. That was similarly terrible.

I anti-recommend both of these anime. If ever you have a desire to watch them, stop, think for a bit, and instead of watching, don't.

---

Nodame Cantabile is really great. It maybe goes on a bit longer than it should, and repeats some of its story beats, but overall, I'd recommend it for sure.

In terms of music anime I'm also tempted to recommend Kids on the Slope which to me is basically the anime version My So Called Life but with jazz. But I know that's one of those series that seems to divide opinion a lot.

On a side note of hate watch anime, I'm sorta going through that with GANGSTA atm. What started out as possibly one of the most thematically problematic but visually slick shows has obviously hit HUGE financial problems because its quality has nosedived at a almost unprecedented speed. Never before have i seen something go from near the technically best examples of it's form to close to the worst.

It must be heartbreaking to be someone who worked on it. 

Yeah, I was looking at my shelf and figuring out recommendations, but I was having trouble deciding between physically mature characters who may not be psychologically mature (Mobile Police PatlaborServant x Service), psychologically mature characters who may not be physically mature (Haibane RenmeiKokoro Connect), and shows with mature themes that may have neither physically nor psychologically mature characters (Revolutionary Girl UtenaNeon Genesis Evangelion). It seems like it's somewhat difficult to me to recall a show that's all three, actually, although I'm sure they're out there in spades.

On a side note of hate watch anime, I'm sorta going through that with GANGSTA atm. What started out as possibly one of the most thematically problematic but visually slick shows has obviously hit HUGE financial problems because its quality has nosedived at a almost unprecedented speed. Never before have i seen something go from near the technically best examples of it's form to close to the worst.

It must be heartbreaking to be someone who worked on it. 

I feel like every Manglobe production has weird mid-run quality issues, no matter who's directing or working on it. Even stuff that I like, Ergo Proxy and Samurai Champloo for instance, have these awful dry spells in the teens that almost make me think they were expecting/hoping to be cancelled at the half-cour break so that they didn't have to write a dozen more episodes, which is a little crazy of me, of course.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily into the music genre it just happened that one clicked with me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been watching Overlord, another MMO anime (this time with a twist that I'll only bother explaining if people care enough to ask, but I digress).

tumblr_nv385j58QZ1s307p6o1_500.gif

<Twig> oh wow i watched this last night without even registering it

<Twig> this is an mmo anime
<Twig> and that's some legit valkyrie female armor
<Twig> (also vampire)
<Twig> no boob plate O:
<Twig> ANIME
<Twig> MMO
<Cordeos> +9000
<Twig> NO BOOB PLATE
<Twig> how does this happen
<Twig> what stars have aligned
<Brett_E> clearly some sort of oversight
<Brett_E> someone must be fired
<Cordeos> yep

just watch log horizon you bastard it's better than whatever you're watching right now

(the twist is he's the only one, and he's basically an all powerful god, and he's trying to figure out how to take over this new world he's been somehow transported to, also he just goes full on evil - the only part of it that's "mmo" is the ridiculous spell names and the origin story)

also it stars this badass

Overlord-anime-teaser-009.png

I think people see the words "MMO anime" and assume it's going to be like .hack where it's just "it's an MMO but you can die in rela life oh nooo" or whatever.

BUT YOU'RE WRONG! ALSO DUMB! SNAP!

I am trying to think on a "hate watch anime", but the closest I remember doing was Valvrave, which isn´t much about hate, but more watching a train wreck, that did sometimes got good moments, some nice character design and a few nice ideas there and there, while the soundtrack was very good. The problem was all the rest....

Arlsan Senki still amazing, and once I did find out that is by the same author of Legend of the Galatic Heroes, Yoshiki Tanaka, I did enjoy it even more. I did also start watching the second season of Cinderella Girls, which is very good so far. Akagami no shirayukihime is also among my favorites so far, loved the art and the history.

The closest hate anime I watched was probably Claymore. That show went off into awful anime-ending shit like 6 episodes from the end, and it was baaaaaad. I didn't really enjoy it so much as glad it was over.

I think people see the words "MMO anime" and assume it's going to be like .hack  Sword Art Online where it's just "it's an MMO but you can die in rela life oh nooo" or whatever.

FTFY

Seriously SAO is the worst thing to happen to anime, and is the worst. The number of people who I have to grin and grit my teeth when they say 'oh man I luuuurve Asuna' is too many to bare. God it's garbage.

True story: I had a Lyft driver bring up Sword Art Online apropos of nothing and I was like "heh he hehhe he yeah it's greaaaaaaat"

Anyway, SAO is the lowest of the low. That'd be like hating shounen because of Bleach. Only reason I called out .hack is because it was the first of its kind, as far as I know. I did like it originally, I think I might even like it now? It's on my re-watch list.

My point is, they're not all the same show, just like not every sports anime is about one guy being the absolute best sportsball player of all time.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't actually seen SAO.................

I just had this set of flowcharts pop up on my feed: http://imgur.com/gallery/yPVPj9Q

I'm at work, so I don't have the time to look at the full thing right now, but it's incredibly thorough. However, I'm not sure that I agree with all of his methodology, especially with regards to the flowchart for "starter" anime. He has a principled aversion to anime that looks "old," which he mostly defines as non-widescreen, and that's fine, except that we've got Cowboy Bebop in the mix and, as much as I love that anime, those visuals look old as fuck next to everything else on the list. I guess it's "no anime that looks old or cheap next to Legend of Korra or Teen Titans unless I like it too much to cut it"? Yeah, lists like this are hard, I guess.

I thought this was just a beginner guide at first, and was really surprised and freaked out by the thoroughness when i scrolled down.

I always get very little out of these types of lists since I think genre is an ineffective way to find shows I like. 

I thought this was just a beginner guide at first, and was really surprised and freaked out by the thoroughness when i scrolled down.

I always get very little out of these types of lists since I think genre is an ineffective way to find shows I like. 

I actually found myself finding shows that I knew and/or liked, in order to work back to the start. Overall, even though a lot of people mediate their watching of anime through genre, I agree that it's a fairly useless way of finding something that you personally will like. For example, in order to capture the effective genre contrary to the formal genre, the creator of the flowcharts put Neon Genesis Evangelion in the "thriller/horror" chart, which... I mean, yeah, but no one's going to come to it that way. It just shows the weakness of flowcharts as a means of self-guided recommendation, because you're usually following the creator's specific path to watching a work.

Also, more irritation about the creator's arbitrary limitations. He says that he won't include movies because he hasn't seen enough and it's about series anyway... except Millennium Actress and End of Evangelion are on still there, the former because he felt Satoshi Kon was underrepresented and the latter because he felt it "completes" the series. Seriously, guys, don't bother with hard and fast rules if you're going to break them for all of your favorites. It makes me mistrust the entire mission of these flowcharts!

Seriously, guys, don't bother with hard and fast rules if you're going to break them for all of your favorites. It makes me mistrust the entire mission of these flowcharts!

It would actually make for a more helpful (or at least less misleading) list if he followed through 100% on his personal bias and just made it an association of things he likes about his favorite shows.