Yeah I don't like Midori, really.

Dunno why you hate Kumiko, though. She strikes me as very human. Maybe because she's almost exactly like I was in school (ignoring the whole "Japanese school girl" thing), in that I didn't talk much, and I was always worried about shit, and etc. She's probably the most empathy-worthy character on the show for me.

Admittedly I've warmed up to Kumiko more over the last 3 episodes. I really didn't like how she'd stress over some minute thing someone said/did, and then it'd be resolved, and then she'd just worry over something else just as irrelevant and pointless. For what felt like the first 5 episodes, that was the main plot line, which was just boring and uninteresting. I honestly don't understand her worries with talking to Reina at the beginning. 

But then again I'm probably on the minority side of this, it seems to be well recieved.

I didn't like it either, but it worked because I literally did the exact same thing. Hell, I still do. U:

I think she's a very well-realized character, which also means she's flawed. And I think that's good! At least she's not one-dimensional. (She's two!!!)

latest episode of Ore Monogatari!! was super good. Does anyone know how many episodes this season is due to run for & if it's going to roll straight into another one?

latest episode of Ore Monogatari!! was super good. Does anyone know how many episodes this season is due to run for & if it's going to roll straight into another one?

Looks like it's slated for a full-cour of twenty-four episodes.

Good good, now pls just reassure me that they will wrap up the whole things story arc by the end of that and not leave me hanging. Because dammit, i didn't even know Chihayafuru was on infinite hiatus until you spilled that on the podcast.

It almost definitely won't wrap things up. The manga's only on it's 8th volume and still going. At a guess, it seems likely that they'll have an original anime ending. But I guess it all depends as to the popularity of the anime.

I'm glad Ore Monogatari is getting a second season, it's the most ridiculously adorable show ever.

I finished watching Yurikuma Arashi, the lesbian bear show, and... wow, the drama part was pretty good, but I'm still not sure if the show took itself 100% serious or not, I know some part are meant to be funny, at least.

I tried watching more Super Sonico and it just don't get it, is it just a "titillation" show? It's kinda too tame for that, the characters don't interest me in one bit, they seem too two dimensional to me. 

There's something about odd couple romances with a big chunk of humour which I feel make them a lot more approachable to people who wouldn't normally watch that sort of show.

I'd love to know how successful it was in japan. I feel like Ore Monogatari has been the stand out show of this season quality wise (& it certainty seems to have good production values) and it would be interesting to know if that's converted into commercial success.

I'm really glad that it has at least been successful enough to get a second season because i also really enjoyed Nozaki-Kun last year but it seems to have disappeared without a trace.

Sidenote: probably my all time favourite example of a anime Rom Com is Lovely Complex, which is in some silly ways the inverted version of Ore Monogatari.

I'm disappointed it's getting a second season, because it really felt like something that should've been short and sweet, not drawn out for no reason. I like it a lot, but every episode is basically the same thing.

Oh well.

After ten episodes, Kekkai Sensen is giving me a recap episode.

Ten episodes.

It's been a while since I had to put up with a recap episode! It's particularly boring because the Big Plot is the worst part of this anime. It's the smaller, personal stories (and the character design of all the weird otherworldly aliens) that are its real strength. Also last week ended on a huge cliffhanger in the Big Plot, so it's even weirder.

Boooooo.

I'm disappointed it's getting a second season, because it really felt like something that should've been short and sweet, not drawn out for no reason. I like it a lot, but every episode is basically the same thing.

Oh well.

I suppose it depends what story they are actually trying to tell. I mean half these sort of shows end when the romantic leads actually get together, but these guys were a happy couple just a few episodes in.

I get where your coming from but the whole "every episode is the same thing" critique is something i think applies to a lot of anime, but as long as the moment to moment stuff is as well executed as it is here I'm ok with it.

After ten episodes, Kekkai Sensen is giving me a recap episode.

Ten episodes.

It's been a while since I had to put up with a recap episode! It's particularly boring because the Big Plot is the worst part of this anime. It's the smaller, personal stories (and the character design of all the weird otherworldly aliens) that are its real strength. Also last week ended on a huge cliffhanger in the Big Plot, so it's even weirder.

Boooooo.

that does seem super early. The only explanation that comes to mind is that maybe they are pivoting to buy themselves some time to change the story somehow, i mean from what I understand the plot line we are seeing come to fruition is one unique to the anime which means there could be dozens of reasons why a finale might have to get altered.

I tried watching more Super Sonico and it just don't get it, is it just a "titillation" show? It's kinda too tame for that, the characters don't interest me in one bit, they seem too two dimensional to me.

Yeah basically it's just that. If I remember correctly, super sonico is just a mascot for a music festival, but because the design is cute/ecchi (I think an ero artist designed her), she got really popular. The anime is there just to spin out the franchise a bit more. I think they're trying to be like the idol master spin off cinderella girls story wise, but focusing on one girl instead of 10 odd . This isn't the first time it's happened. There was an anime called rio something something which was about the mascot for a pachinko game. That was also just titillation and nothing else.

We had a conversation in this thread a while back about the lack of female-created anime, right? In his report on AnimeNext 2015, Oguie Maniax asked the staff from Trigger about the creation of Turning Girls, and got this story in response:

Turning Girls, which is named so because it’s about girls who are about to turn 30 and have hit a transitional point in their lives, is created and produced by the non-animator female staff of Studo Trigger. Essentially, they wanted to see how people with no experience in animation would make an anime. Though the series did not attract much of an audience abroad, the sponsor who asked them to do it in the first place keeps asking for more, against their expectations. During the Q&A session at their panel, I casually commented that they should produce more Turning Girls as well, to which they responded with “NO” in English. Also, it’s important to note that all of the girls are apparently based on the staff members themselves, and that one of them indeed carries shades of Kaerun, the highly abrasive aspiring idol from Turning Girls.

I've always though that Turning Girls was a little underrated, in spite of its extreme roughness, and the above story totally validates me. Unfortunately, they're hard to find subbed on YouTube, even though the full series is available unsubbed there, so I'll just post the first and good luck with the rest!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLVA_NtUwsY

The most frustrating thing about The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, beyond the myriad of little annoyances that I covered in my liveblog of the first episode, is that the supreme dullness of Kyon and Yuki forces all of the ancillary characters to be heightened in a way that's actually quite funny but totally out of character for all of them. It's most egregious with Haruhi herself, because she's still the wacky dreamer who wants to believe in ghosts and aliens because she finds normal people so disappointing, but she is also helping a deeply boring girl get together with the only guy for whom she's ever had feelings, because... uh, I don't know why. But hey, it's funny, so... yeah!

On a whim I checked out what anime have been announced for the fall.

new Haikyuu!! and also One Punch Man yesssssssssssss

Last night, I finally sat down and watched The Sky Crawlers, one of the first anime I downloaded to my external hard drive when I first bought it in 2008. I remember it being something of a commercial and critical failure for Oshii Mamoru, as well as a convenient breaking point for internet pontificators who wanted proof that Oshii was out of ideas after the Ghost in the Shell and Jin-Roh sequels.

Man, maybe it's the expectation that it'd be a mess, but wow, what a slow and somber look at the kind of people who live and die in a war. I don't really want to go into depth, but if you think you can handle the dreamlike pacing and somewhat whey-faced CGI design, I'd wholly recommend a watch.

Maybe I'll give it a watch. I tend to like slower, more contemplative anime that people say is terrible, like Ghost Hound or Haibane Renmei.

Wait, people think that Haibane Renmei is terrible? I thought that it was broadly considered one of the greatest anime of all time. It never occurred to me to put it in the same category as Ghost Hound, though. I guess I should stop derisively calling it "Ghost Dog" and get around to actually watching it.

Anyway, yes. The Sky Crawlers feels a lot like Haibane Renmei, but without some of the "healing" aspect that makes the latter more of an obvious classic. The mysteries of The Sky Crawlers are suffused with despair, more so than the anxiety or anticipation of Haibane Renmei. I liked it just about as much, because I'm a gloomy fuck, and I'm deeply tempted to break my "no anime purchases this summer" in order to buy the $6.55 Blu-ray(!) on Amazon.

maybe he saw a still-frame of bakemonogatari

Oh yeah I forgot about that. Could be?!

It was the figure, sorry. I didn't realise I was skipping pages.