I'm way "a-head" of you, I already saw it... T^T

I need something adorkable, something with less... "bite".

What you're asking for is the Pretty Cure franchise, aren't you? That's the other big one, although without the same youthful nostalgia that surrounds the Sailor Moon franchise.

Oddly enough, that's the show I just gave a shot. I've only watched one episode but it is giving me the same vibe as Sailor Moon so far...

Also the villain is called PISSARD and looks like David Bowie:

ByPQOhIIUAAz0zH.jpg

I just saw the final FINAL episode of Sailor Moon....

usagi_crying.gif

I am big dumb cry baby like Usagi...

Who will fill the Usagi shaped hole in my kokoro? T^T

Seriously, I need more magical girls or big dumb PRECIOUS BABIES like Usagi to will the void.

That gif immediately makes me think about Mako from Kill La Kill

tumblr_mw9wjcf3wR1rfg20go2_500.gif

I'm not that familiar with the franchise but a quick google of Usagi reveals some similarities. Anyone a bit more familiar able to say whether Mako was likely some sort of direct tribute?(something that certainly seems possible to me)

Speaking of which I think you (& maybe Gorm too) might enjoy The Rolling Girls which is comming to the end of its run atm. It's basically a Moe KLK (without any of the direct sexualisation) I'm not sure it's anything special by any means but it's nostalgia filled road trip across Japan's pop culture with 4 over earnest girls might help fill that Usagi shaped void.

I very much doubt Mako was a direct tribute to Sailormoon, but Kill la Kill unquestionably has a debt to Sailormoon in innumerable ways. The sailor uniform as source of power, most obviously, and the magical girl transformation sequence.

Mako was a big bundle of characterization jokes though, some of which were probably directed towards Usagi. I recall that scene. The animation on those tear blobs grossed me out a lot for some reason.

There was some anime podcast discussion upthread. Is there a good anime podcast that has a series/episode focus rather than a general industry focus? I'm thinking more like Twin Peaks Rewatch or 3MA, and less like, say, idle thumbs or Giant Bombcast?

There was some anime podcast discussion upthread. Is there a good anime podcast that has a series/episode focus rather than a general industry focus? I'm thinking more like Twin Peaks Rewatch or 3MA, and less like, say, idle thumbs or Giant Bombcast?

no clue. lets make one

no clue. lets make one

*Cue confused skype interruptions and notification sounds someone forgot to edit out and bad mic quality*

You mean like Sailor Business? :P

I've watched about 10 episodes of Pretty Cure and while I like it, it's too vanilla? I feel like it's a "literally" a kid's show, nobody dies, nobody gets hurt physically or emotionally, even the bad guys don't really die when they are destroyed.

While I don't want to see decapitation and traumatic experiences, I want something with more flavor that plain vanilla, even if it's good vanilla. Could it at least be funnier? :\

no clue. lets make one

Karen Chu and a couple of other ex 1upers had a podcast were they went through a couple of anime shows a couple episodes at the time. Cant remember the name cause they stopped a good few years ago but i might be up your street - they went through ergo proxy and mushishi. I am wondering when will the anime rewatch podcast  will start considering we are at the point with US tv where there is a saved by the bell rewatch podcast. 

We've discussed us doing a podcast before. I say we do it. We should choose a series from the next season and focus on that throughout. My vote goes towards either: Hibike! Euphonium, digimon or Lupin III.

Also Shiro Bako ended last Thursday. Man what a show. It's definitely a favourite of mine. The end of the penultimate episode had me in tears.

So next season looks alright, like next seasons always do. Anyone looking forward to anything? Punchline looks... alright? Apart from that, nothing's really grabbed me. 2nd season of my husband doesn't understand me will hopefully be as good as the first. And I need to catch up on the SNAFU anime before the second season.

I watched the teaser for Punchline and it was just panty shot after panty shot after panty shot... It doesn't look good.

Besides that, I'll be watching (at least at first) Lupin III, Ninja Slayer, and... that's it as far as full series go. Actually, I'll try Kekkai Sensen, too, as it looks like it might be a good junkfood anime, but I don't have much faith in it. We'll see.

Also the new DBZ movie of course!!!!!!!!!

I watched the teaser for Punchline and it was just panty shot after panty shot after panty shot... It doesn't look good.

Yeah, I didn't like the trailer either. But I still want to give it a go. There's also something by Gainax that I'll give a go. I swear there was a Trigger anime this season too, but I could have been thinking of the next season.

In the end I watched the first season of Pretty Cure while playing games, while it did grow on me I still think it's good, but I can see how this show has so many sequels, look at this ridiculous list:

Futari wa Pretty Cure (2004–2005)
Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart (2005–2006)
Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star (2006–2007)
Yes! PreCure 5 (2007–2008)
Yes! PreCure 5 GoGo! (2008–2009)
Fresh Pretty Cure! (2009–2010)
HeartCatch PreCure! (2010–2011)
Suite PreCure (2011–2012)
Smile PreCure! (2012–2013)
DokiDoki! PreCure (2013–2014)[1][2]
HappinessCharge PreCure! (2014–2015)
Go! Princess PreCure (2015–present)[

That's... that's just silly.

We've discussed us doing a podcast before. I say we do it. We should choose a series from the next season and focus on that throughout. My vote goes towards either: Hibike! Euphonium, digimon or Lupin III.

Also Shiro Bako ended last Thursday. Man what a show. It's definitely a favourite of mine. The end of the penultimate episode had me in tears.

So next season looks alright, like next seasons always do. Anyone looking forward to anything? Punchline looks... alright? Apart from that, nothing's really grabbed me. 2nd season of my husband doesn't understand me will hopefully be as good as the first. And I need to catch up on the SNAFU anime before the second season.

Codicier and I have talked a bit about a podcast, too. I would love to contribute, maybe even buy a microphone to replace what is no doubt my shitty webcam mic, but I don't know about doing a currently airing series, especially because this coming season looks so barren. Still, talking about anime with cool and smart people who know a lot about the genre would be a lot of fun, and maybe other people would like to hear it, too.

Also, yeah. Shirobako is hands-down the best anime of last season, maybe of the past year? Using a detailed industry procedural to tell an ensemble of interesting stories about careers, ambitions, and failure is really genius.

In terms of sound quality, I accidentally left my nice Yeti microphone in another city while visiting, but if any of this happens next month I will possibly have it back. 

Whether we do a new or old show, I think it should be at most a 13-episode series, just to start simple.

Recently I haven't had much time to enjoy anime so what I have been watching has mostly been very light, half-cour shows. The format seems perfect for pure gag series, but really bad for more plotty shows (Kuragehime was really bad), so I'm not sure if an episode by episode podcast thing is worth doing for those series.

Speaking of barf-cour shows I just watched Love Lab because I really like the animation and gags:

tumblr_mplbdhMZYx1r53yzko1_500.gif

But beyond that it's just girls spending 13 episodes looking for boyfriends. So boring, so stupid, so impenetrably pointless. Why did I watch all of it.

Side note: it also has a crazy amount of joke explaining and indication disguised as tsukkomi, and doesn't make up for it with wit, originality and unpredictability. That kind of thing seems to be endemic, even in shows that I really like and think are funny.

Speaking of barf-cour shows I just watched Love Lab because I really like the animation and gags:

tumblr_mplbdhMZYx1r53yzko1_500.gif

But beyond that it's just girls spending 13 episodes looking for boyfriends. So boring, so stupid, so impenetrably pointless. Why did I watch all of it.

One of us! One of us! I found myself rewatching Upotte! while doing some editing last night because I wanted to hear highly technical jokes about firearms while watching cute girls do cute things.

Has anyone been watching Your Lie in April? The story starts out pretty Manic Pixie Dream Girl (With a Secret), and it definitely relies on some anime-isms, but it also has some gorgeously animated and directed scenes. I especially like what they do with the musical performances. The underwater visuals to illustrate the kid's anxiety, the way it cuts around like a fight, and the really amazing performances by the musicians definitely make the performances the high points of the show!

Edited to link to a scene from episode 2: 

Codicier and I have talked a bit about a podcast, too. I would love to contribute, maybe even buy a microphone to replace what is no doubt my shitty webcam mic, but I don't know about doing a currently airing series, especially because this coming season looks so barren. Still, talking about anime with cool and smart people who know a lot about the genre would be a lot of fun, and maybe other people would like to hear it, too.

Also, yeah. Shirobako is hands-down the best anime of last season, maybe of the past year? Using a detailed industry procedural to tell an ensemble of interesting stories about careers, ambitions, and failure is really genius.

Yeah? next season is looking to be one of the better ones, imo.

There's a lot of stuff that looks good, if not great. Studios MAPPA and Trigger are high quality studios that haven't completely worn out their welcome in the way that Kyoto Animation and BONES have. So I'm gonna check out Punch Line and Ninja Slayer. That said, I will probably still check out Hibike Euphonium and Kekkai Sensen, just for the animation.

Plastic Memories is written by the guy who wrote Steins;Gate.

Digimon tri has a lot of nostalgia value. Speaking of which, I'm also curious about Lupin III, which seems like a back to basics take on it.

May check out Owari no Seraph and Shokugeki no Soma, to see if anything Shonen Jump makes can still appeal to me.

Ore Monogatari has a cute premise, and I thought the manga had a sweet earnestness to it.

Fate season 2 and Arslan Senki are two things that I'm much more confident will be totally great. Hiromu Arakawa is amazing.

Soooo yeah. Lots of stuff to check out. I predict my list will end up looking more like Arslan, Fate, Ninja Slayer, and Digimon pretty quickly. Maybe ore monogatari as well

Arslan the manga is not really any good, unfortunately.

Anyway I'm definitely in the "this coming season looks so barren" camp. There's just not much going on. ):

I very much doubt Mako was a direct tribute to Sailormoon, but Kill la Kill unquestionably has a debt to Sailormoon in innumerable ways. The sailor uniform as source of power, most obviously, and the magical girl transformation sequence.

Mako was a big bundle of characterization jokes though, some of which were probably directed towards Usagi. I recall that scene. The animation on those tear blobs grossed me out a lot for some reason.

In terms of sound quality, I accidentally left my nice Yeti microphone in another city while visiting, but if any of this happens next month I will possibly have it back. 

Whether we do a new or old show, I think it should be at most a 13-episode series, just to start simple.

Basically my attitude about a community podcast is this:

We have a really nice group of fairly articulate and open minded to discussion people from a reasonable mix of backgrounds and locations (although like so many things on the net it would be great to have more women's voices) but i don't think leaping straight from that to a in one step podcast will work

Imo possibly the best sort of template to work from if we really want to make this work is something like the GWJ Conference Call. It's somewhere in between the general ramblings of the thumbs and the focused discussion of 3MA. 

They have a couple of people who can sit in the host seat on any given week, and bring other people on week by week if that weeks topic interests someone, normally leaving the podcast's size somewhere between 3-5.

Their format is based on the typical "what you been playing/watching" section and then followed by the topic discussion, and I think that's perfect for a group like this forum who might have some people who might feel really passionate about one show or genre but not necessarily always be watching the latest on air stuff. With something like that we could 

My suggestion is perhaps we make a list of all those who might be interested in being regulars see what effect timezone etc have on possible recording times and then organise a skype/mumble/whatever conference call and do one (or maybe a couple) of "off air shows" just so people can get to know each other a bit people and can work out technical glitches, discuss things like the exact format/length, update schedule, future topics, & pick a podcast name etc. 

Picking one person to act as overall/primary host would also be something wed probably have to make a decision on.

I've suggested to Gorm before that I think he'd be a good choice for that for a number of reasons (primarily but not limited to: the fact that he already critically writes about anime occasionally, he's one of the most active posters and seems to get on with most people on here) but fact is once we get talking on air it may be that someone else is better fit for the group for any number of reasons.

We also need to know who has audio editing experience because just as it's good to have backup host's it good to have backup editors when none of us is a professional (I used to be fairly competent with Audacity, but I'm out of practice but i was planning of doing a few short form monologue/audioblogs to get back into practice in the next few weeks anyway so hopefully that's one name into the hat for that particular job).

So yeah I'm up for doing this but I do think we need to give ourselves a solid but adaptable and above all realistic framework to operate around. I know that's not the most exciting part of the idea of doing a show but its a big old chunk of the reality of any cooperative creation.

Sidenote: Although a lot of you guys seem to like it I have more than a few gripes with Shirobako (although i'm only half way through atm) so maybe that's something we could try as a practice/opening topic since it's still fairly current.  

omg the last episode of yowamushi pedal is currently streaming on my other monitor i'm so stoked i'm even going to watch the op

o: o: o:

EDIT:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ahem. It's over!

Anyway I haven't really spoken up yet but I'd be interested in doing a 'cast thinger buuuut I've done a VOIP 'cast before and gosh it is rough.

Ahem. It's over!

Anyway I haven't really spoken up yet but I'd be interested in doing a 'cast thinger buuuut I've done a VOIP 'cast before and gosh it is rough.

I've seen remote casts work well if each host tries to replicate each others' recording situation and record their voices independently, and use some VOIP software that doesn't do the muting thing.

omg the last episode of yowamushi pedal is currently streaming on my other monitor i'm so stoked i'm even going to watch the op

o: o: o:

EDIT:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oh man I cried like 3 times in that final episode. It was amazing. God damnit I love that anime so much. Best sports anime ever? I think so.