I loved, loved, loved the first season. How was the recent season?

's all right

Finished Space Dandy. Really loved it. Might be one of my favorite shows ever. There were so many episodes that were just so good I can't decide which one was my favorite. Although it might have possibly been "A World Without Sadness, Baby". That soundtrack too.

A couple months ago I purchased the recent Blu Ray release of Cowboy Bebop since I've never seen it and everyone says it's the best thing ever made. Seven episodes in and it's pretty awesome so far. But it hasn't reached Dandy levels of awesome... yet. I kind of wish I would have watched Cowboy Bebop first since I'm already noticing some things that were referenced in Space Dandy and it might have furthered my appreciation of that show. Oh well.

I've never paid any attention to who makes what when it comes to anime. I kind of just go with whatever I see you guys recommending. But now Shinichirō Watanabe is on my radar and I think I need to watch whatever else he's done because his style is fantastic.

Watanabe!

Samurai Champloo is great for similar reasons.

Kids on the Slope is good for entirely different reasons, although the ending really brought it down for me.

I honestly wouldn't bother with Terror in Resonance.

Okay, well I guess when I finish with Cowboy Bebop I know what my next two are going to be.

Also, I watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. Seems like a pretty cool concept. I'll get back to that after I attend to these other more important matters.

Also, I watched the first episode of Tokyo Ghoul. Seems like a pretty cool concept. I'll get back to that after I attend to these other more important matters.

Honestly, Don't bother. It's really slow and it only gets interesting at literally the last episode.

Seven episodes in and it's pretty awesome so far. But it hasn't reached Dandy levels of awesome... yet. 

This is such a weird sentence to read, given my very high opinion of Bebop and fairly low first impressions of Dandy. I guess I need to give Dandy another shot, cuz I thought the first few episodes were just embarrassing (if attractively animated).

This is such a weird sentence to read. I guess I need to give Dandy another shot, cuz I thought the first few episodes were just embarrassing (if attractively animated).

Yeah, I wasn't totally sold on it at first. It probably took about 9 or 10 episodes before I started to really enjoy it. Thankfully, there are a good number of episodes with more serious or abstract concepts that are handled really well and I think do a good job of balancing out the goofy, dumb episodes. Plus the soundtrack was just absolutely fantastic. I'm a sucker for shows and movies with good musical scores and it is an integral part of the experience for me.

Oh my god Mushishi is amazing. It's really simple and kind of insultingly clear about everything but the plots and atmosphere and character design and sense of place carry it to infinity. I'm only done with three episodes so I'm in no place to start hypothesizing about an overall theme but so far everything's been about things kind of really sad sensory repression and lonelinesses that's incredibly evocative and ghhhhhhh

I have no idea if it's gonna get weird and intricate but so far I like that it's straightforward and minimal, not leaning on gimmicks, stereotype characters or crazy bombast.

There are some episodes later on that delve into the backstory, but iirc it never becomes burdened by too much plot or exposition, thankfully.

Hey guys I know another series about a mysterious, white haired, amnesiac, protagonist with a great knowledge of supernatural creatures who use a kinda "alchemical science" to deal with the problems these animals bring up in small communities he comes across as he wanders from place to place trying to make a living, & which explores its world landscape through a series of tales which are morally grey at the best of times, and sometimes darker still.

Its called the Witcher :D

:getmecoat

Man I can't wait for the episode where Ginko collects all the naked mushi trading cards.

Obviously he's keeping them in one of those draws in his travelling cabinet

More seriously theme's surrounding Misogyny of "olden times" do creep up occasionally in Mushishi (unhappy forced marriages, & abusive patriarch being a particular recurving ones) but are generally dealt with pretty well

Yeah speaking of that, what time period does this take place in? It seems to be kept deliberately ambiguous, with Ginko looking like some modern high school teacher wandering around what looks like feudal/imperial japan. Not complaining or anything, and I should probably watch the rest of the first season, but I wonder if it's kept ambiguous.

So for a half a minute today I considered buying the new-ish blu-ray edition of Cowboy Bebop, since it was my favorite anime once upon a time and I intend to re-watch it to see if that's still true.

But then I realized how I haven't bought a TV show or movie on physical media since... 2011 maybe, and it feels very silly to start doing it again now.

Does anyone have the newest version of Bebop on blu-ray and have anything good or bad to say about it? I have Hulu plus... does anyone know if the version of Bebop on Hulu the same as the one on the new blu-rays ( ads and the potential for streaming-related quality dips aside )?

I have the blu-rays but I haven't turned it on yet. I got the Amazon one with the artbooks, so that was kind of neat. I would guess the Bebop on Hulu is the blu-ray version because it premiered on the service around the same time of the rerelease.

So for a half a minute today I considered buying the new-ish blu-ray edition of Cowboy Bebop, since it was my favorite anime once upon a time and I intend to re-watch it to see if that's still true.

But then I realized how I haven't bought a TV show or movie on physical media since... 2011 maybe, and it feels very silly to start doing it again now.

Does anyone have the newest version of Bebop on blu-ray and have anything good or bad to say about it? I have Hulu plus... does anyone know if the version of Bebop on Hulu the same as the one on the new blu-rays ( ads and the potential for streaming-related quality dips aside )?

I have it and am about halfway through the series right now. I've never seen it before so I have nothing to compare it against but I appreciate that they kept the 4x3 aspect ratio instead of cropping it to make it widescreen like they did with the DBZ orange bricks. It looks really nice and crisp and I appreciate not having to watch ads all throughout the show. It seems like Hulu Plus has been getting more and more egregious with their ads over the last couple years so if it's a show I'm pretty confident I'll like then I prefer to just pick up the dvd or blu ray and watch it that way.

It also has 100% of the extra features of the previous Remix release plus a few new ones. The DVD nerd in me loves that shit.

Yeah speaking of that, what time period does this take place in? It seems to be kept deliberately ambiguous, with Ginko looking like some modern high school teacher wandering around what looks like feudal/imperial japan. Not complaining or anything, and I should probably watch the rest of the first season, but I wonder if it's kept ambiguous.

There's absolutely nothing that allude as to how or why he came to adopt that style of dress anywhere I've seen in the anime or manga as far as I'm aware.

Even when we see him as a youngster he's dressed traditionally, it's just something he seems to have mysteriously picked up.

I'm sure someone more historically knowledgable about Japan could nail down a exact era for the setting, from the tools, dress etc, but Ginko himself seems very much apart from it.

There's absolutely nothing that allude as to how or why he came to adopt that style of dress anywhere I've seen in the anime or manga as far as I'm aware.

Even when we see him as a youngster he's dressed traditionally, it's just something he seems to have mysteriously picked up.

I'm sure someone more historically knowledgable about Japan could nail down a exact era for the setting, from the tools, dress etc, but Ginko himself seems very much apart from it.

I mean, the general sense of the show's historical era is the early 1800s, shortly before the Black Ships, the opening of Japan, and the decline of the bakufu. There are elements from before that time and elements from after, but they mostly combine to give a very "once upon a time" feeling, which I think is the intention, to set the show in a past just beyond living memory.

Last night I finally finished Chihayafuru! Well, the first season anyway.

I'm looking forward to the next season! I do like the anime but man does it like to harp on Chihaya's infatuation/obsession and Taichi's jealousy/competition with Arata. I suppose that's partially the shoujo roots, as opposed to the typical sports anime which is much more shounen. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if Arata was actually present for all this attention, instead of in another city...

But anyway the next season is set up for some new characters. Five of them, even! So hopefully that'll alleviate the focus on Arata, at least partially.

Last night I finally finished Chihayafuru! Well, the first season anyway.

I'm looking forward to the next season! I do like the anime but man does it like to harp on Chihaya's infatuation/obsession and Taichi's jealousy/competition with Arata. I suppose that's partially the shoujo roots, as opposed to the typical sports anime which is much more shounen. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if Arata was actually present for all this attention, instead of in another city...

But anyway the next season is set up for some new characters. Five of them, even! So hopefully that'll alleviate the focus on Arata, at least partially.

I enjoyed S2 once I had given people time to settle in but a warning Mr twig, so far there's no clear sign of a S3 as far as I know & plot threads are left hanging

I'm used to that in anime so oh well.