Either someone found an unopened case somewhere or Honneamise is reprinting it, because I found a copy of the remastered Gunbuster OVA and I'm over the moon about it!

HOLY SHIT Gon

looks like one more episode before the fight begins in full force ARGH shonen tropes

WAIT SHIT'S HAPPENING NOW (i'm only a little over halfway through the episode)

DAMN GON DAMN

(that hair)

I'm actually really glad I'm watching this animated instead of reading the manga. In part because I know the art got bad and in part because this is pretty well done.

Holy FUCK wtf Gon.

Dat hair omg dat hair.

I actually heard that bit was really well done in the manga. The artist goes through phases of good art to bad art to squiggles on a piece of paper which kiiinda looks like gon.

So is Gon dead? Would be awesome if so but I'm guessing that's not going to happen. This is how you create a good shonen show, by doing an epic thing to the MC and then piling on the foreboding that this lad is going to be fucked. up. afterwards.

That's what I don't like about Luffy's Gear Third is that Chopper says that it's not good for his bones, and it'll fuck him up later, but he just keeps on doing it regardless. So much stuff like that gets ignored in favor of 'the rule of cool' as my friends put it.

Another good example is Naruto's wind rasengan which was said multiple times that it'll fuck up Naruto's arm, only for him to use it another billion times without any care in the world. Although now Naruto is just big monsters smacking bigger monsters, smacking meteorites. ugh. So stupid.

Also check out this stupid awesome gon fig:

GONSAN.jpg

IT'S BIGGER THAN A BOOK. WTF.

ooohh yeah nested spoilers. It's a huge image, that's why.

Haha I saw that figure. It's fucking absurd and I kind of want it just because it's fucking absurd.

There's been a huge dump of translated chapters of a manga i've been following on batoto called Gokukoku No Brynhildr, looks like its will be finished soon. It's p good. Finally got my copies of the first 3 (only ones in english) volumes of Kohta Hirano's Drifters (he did Hellsing), so pretty excited there. Fedex lost my first order of them so amazon re-shipped it.

Ping Pong continues to be almost absurdly good. I'm maybe even talking possibly top 2-3 anime I'd recommend to anyone good.

There's just so much energy in every shot. In addition to its art style (I'm not sure what to call it even, rotoscoped super deformed maybe?)It's got a consistently vivid colour pallet and some really dramtic shot composition.

The musical/sound is superb too i love the punkish track at the opening in particular but I think there's some great work creating character with sound throughout. The 'hero appears' track has a great video game feel to it, like something that would play at the start of a bonus stage. Not quite a chip tune, but it feels like there's some influence there(probably deliberately considering Mr Tsukimotos video game playing and 'robot' nickname), the feudal drumming for The Kairo players while pretty easy choice is still used well, as is kazuma's monster music. I think my favourite little thing is when the almost fairground tunes that accompany Peco early on get switch out for a far more intense synth beat track we get when he plays when he plays kong for the 2nd time, and then switches again to a even faster almost desperate track as our viewpoint switches to Kong as he begins to realise he's going to loose. Plus there's a few really nice more low key tracks when they are needed (often for flashback or exposition who's slower pace they fit perfectly) and the generally hyper kinetic match music (which is kinda trancy/clubby at times).

Plus they not afraid to cut the music completely to really bring the sound of the game, that iconic TWHAK TWHAK TWAK of a Ping pong ball shooting back and forth when it's needed.

Anyways it's just damn frikkin amazing

It is interesting and it definitely makes some sense. It also just shows how much of a societal limitation incest is (which, of course, developed because it results in poor genetic development in offspring). But I guess that's a different discussion. To expand on it a little, the exceptionally creepy part is that it's almost always a LITTLE sister, which also taps into the gross pedo angle that so many anime employ. The gross pedo angle is something that can be hilariously creepy (ymmv), as in Azumangah Daioh, but when it's treated as a totally normal Thing that just happens in Japan, it's absolutely repulsive. Man...

Conversation appears to have mostly moved on, but I'll note that little girl pedo-stuff has historical precedent in classical Japanese literature:

Genji is frustrated by his forbidden love for the Lady Fujitsubo and is on bad terms with his wife (Aoi no Ue). He engages in a series of unfulfilling love affairs with other women, but in most cases his advances are rebuffed, his lover dies suddenly during the affair, or he becomes bored of his lover.

Genji visits Kitayama, the northern rural hilly area of Kyoto, where he finds a beautiful ten-year-old girl. He is fascinated by this little girl (Murasaki), and discovers that she is a niece of the Lady Fujitsubo. Finally he kidnaps her, brings her to his own palace and educates her to be his ideal lady — that is, like the Lady Fujitsubo.

It probably has precedent in a lot of classical literature (Twig ignorantly proclaims), but this is the 21st century!

also

Finally got around to starting Mushishi, oh man I'm in love with this show already. I can't remember anything that had this tone to it, I watch an ep or two in bed each night and get totally lost in it, then wake up the next morning remembering it like I'd seen it in a pleasant dream. So good.

Anyway this made me think of something that's bothered me in the past, and is kind of relevant to the topic of conventions in anime - what's the deal with opening/ending themes? Like, having a title scroll with a theme song is hardly unique to anime, and a credits sequence even less so, but the way they're formatted and presented in anime seems really tied down by convention in many cases. I got thinking about this because the opening to Mushishi is really muted, it's barely animated at all and has a really laid back theme in comparison to most anime OPs (the only other theme I can remember being this modest is Now and Then, Here and There, which... well, I don't dare imagine that show with a typical opening animation). Is this simply a matter of doing what's expected, or is there some other explanation?

Edit: Also just because I've had it on constant repeat again lately, the Madoka soundtrack is so good you guys. So good.

Also just because I've had it on constant repeat again lately, the Madoka soundtrack is so good you guys. So good.

I'd probably have a better response to the politics and dynamics of anime OPs (usually made by a different studio that's just given the show's art and an explanation of the themes by the producers) but I'm wiped out today, so I'll just say that the Madoka staff's Latin use continues to be the death of me. I've never seen vinco used in the passive with numquam to indicate a state of being and it freaked me out a little. Either Non vincar (which is still ugly because indicative shouldn't be carrying intent) or Numquam victus sum (which I don't think conveys the futurity they seem to want). I'd almost say Non victurus sum, but that's more medieval than classical, so maybe just pick a better word like supero or succumboVinco really shouldn't be used too extensively in the passive if it's not preterite.

Yeah, I know. Sorry!

I think Haikyu!! may be my favorite sports anime ever, 10 episodes in. The dynamic between all of the characters is so fun and charming and DARE I SAY IT heartwarming. I always feel good after an episode. Man.

Oh, I did start watching Kuroko's Basketball, as well. It's definitely very good! Kinda makes me want to go back and watch Slam Dunk, which I remember liking a lot. Or... did I read the manga? I think I read the manga.

And I started watching Eyeshield 21 again, which was my first sports anime. WOW I FORGOT HOW LONG IT IS WHAT HAVE I DONE. Also it's definitely geared toward a much younger audience. It still features high school students, as do most sports anime, but it's much more... childish. Not like in a bad way, I just can't think of the neutral word for childish because my brain died. Well I guess it's sorta "bad" because I'm not as into it as I was when I was younger, I think. But I still enjoy the arcs of continuous growth and discovery that's so prevalent in all sports anime. Humph.

Yowapeda continues to be fun. The main character is so happy. I love when he sings. HIME HIME DAISUKI

I watched the first two episodes of Madoka. That was a while ago. I haven't felt inclined to go back. I know everyone says "watch at least to episode three" but man. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it?

I guess that's enough rambling for now. Didn't expect Eyeshield 21 to claim most of my attention in this post...

Huh. I'd forgotten all about it, but there's a point in Eyeshield 21 where an American high school team visits Japan to play the Devilbats (the Japanese team the anime follows), and the American coach is just super incredibly racist. Like he refuses to let the single black guy on the team play because he was a worthless monkey or something. And he frequently referred to the Japanese as yellow monkeys. But that seems to be absent from the anime, which means that I must've read the manga last time I experienced Eyeshield 21.

Either that or: the subs for CR's version of Eyeshield removed that characteristic of the coach because it's kinda not good? Or: the manga scanlation I read added it in for some reason because they thought it'd be funny?

I'm not sure! Weird. Anime.

With Sailor Moon and Ranma on Hulu and not much to watch on Crunchy Roll( now that Kill La Kill is over), I don't really have a reason to watch anime there now. :|

It's strange that Sailor Moon still seems amazing to me and Ranma is also still good, although it's kinda annoying that nobody seems to know the secret of those cursed the the Jusenkyo even when they transform right in front of them....

On Crunchyroll there is: Nanana's Buried Treasure, Mushishi, Jojo, Mekakucity Actors, and The World Is Still Beautiful. Also Haikyu!! is one of the better sports anime although not everyone's into that sort of thing.

There are a few more I'm watching, but nothing of that quality (although YMMV as always) and/or super long-running anime that you already know about and have decided not to watch already. Anyway Mushishi is better than literally any other anime, so Crunchyroll wins. Also Nanana is quickly becoming my favorite New Anime for this season. And by quickly, I mean it has been for a while.

Some of the genres of those shows don't seem to be to my taste, but some of them do look worth watching for an episode or two. I'll add them to my watch list.

Guys. There's one more episode of Ping Pong left This saddens me greatly :(

Although It has been confirmed that this season of JoJo will continue for 4(!) seasons! :D I really hope they knock out the third arc in the next season and get onto the 4th and 5th arcs. I love those two arcs so much. The 4th arc is great. Much better than the 3rd arc, which is really dull closer to the end of the season, as the plot is just 'go there, fight guy, win'. Although that is very much the plot now, just more enjoyable because of some character growth.

On the other hand, anyone looked at the new season? Tokyo Ghoul looks awesome, as well as Zankyou no Terror. Also Space Dandy 2! Yay!

Someone mentioned Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time earlier in the thread. Just wanted to pop in and mention that I've also seen that show, and liked it a lot. I really appreciate that you pretty much never learn anything about Seki besides his penchant for slacking off by way of increasingly stupid and elaborate bullshit.

Also, it's one of the few times when I've watched something in a foreign language and felt really cheesed off because I recognize a phrase in the original language and know it isn't being translated correctly. You can't fool me, Crunchyroll! I know the series is really called My Neighbour Seki-Kun! I've seen Totoro and Seinfeld!

Haha yeah that's a weird localization. I don't think My Neighbor Seki-kun is at all an awkward title in English. Works perfectly fine in context.

...That said, I don't think I would've tried it without a recommendation based on that title. "Master of Killing Time" is immediately more interesting to me, and that's the only reason I checked it out. SO MAYBE THEY DID RIGHT.

Also Nanana is quickly becoming my favorite New Anime for this season. And by quickly, I mean it has been for a while.

Nanana is amazing, although they have a really weird way of ending episodes.  For that matter there have been a couple of times that they started an episode and I felt like I missed something.  Still love that show though.

I just watched the first episode of Nanana, coz of Twig's statement that it's better than both Ping Pong AND Jojo? Madness.

For the first 10 minuets I was worried. Same stupid light novel tropes. Then he spent 2 hours doing a shit and it got a lot better. I guess I'll keep watching.

This also made me laugh:

Also the new Hunter x Hunter was amazing. I have a worry though.

Isn't the poison inside Pouf just going to kill that whole crowd of zombified people? What about the other dead body that's now just spreading out poison to the wind. Like seriously. Sure it kills them, but it's just going to kill a whole civilisation too. da fuk.

I just watched the first episode of Nanana, coz of Twig's statement that it's better than both Ping Pong AND Jojo? Madness.

To be fair, I haven't seen Ping Pong. I definitely think it's way better than Jojo, though. Jojo's good but it's good for entirely different reasons than I usually like anime. Jojo's sort of... its own thing. It's off in the distance being ridiculous and muscular and contorting itself into what should be incredibly painful positions. I love it, but I struggle when trying to compare it to the other kind of anime I tend to like. Even typical shonen anime like Hunter x Hunter. I mean, Jojo still has a massive buttload of tropes. It's basically built on tropes. It would be nothing without them... But it's also different? I dunno I can't words.

(Speaking of HxH, yes, your worry definitely worries me, too.)

Anyway I love Nanana. I was definitely extremely hesitant at first, but with each new episode the series grows on me more and more.

Jojo's sort of... its own thing.

This perfectly explains Jojo. It's everything you've seen before, but has this bizarre (lul) twist to everything that makes it so fucking great. There's over the top, and then there's Jojo. And yet Jojo still manages to make you care about characters. Even the ones that are only in it for a fight and then dies. It's also totally refreshing to see people die in fighting manga. I feel that people now days are too scared to kill off characters, because it'll hurt the fanbase.

Also did you know that there's a bunch of people who go out into parks and try to pull Jojo poses? apparantly there are levels of poses too. I'm pretty sure that some are definitely physically impossible, yet people still try. Some are pretty darn good though:

1339214686769.jpg

I really hope that HxH addresses my worry. That'd be sweet. HxH is great for. I don't think it's that typical either. It's not about Gon being the best, like most other big shonen (*cough* Naruto, One Piece *cough*), but him just finding his Dad. I mean, he's not even fighting the big bad guy in this arc. He has only killed one of the 3 royal guards. I really love HxH.

I like Nanana too. I'll watch more methinks.

Apparently there exists a Bayonetta anime movie, so I guess I'm gonna watch it.

I was excited for this too, but then realised it was done by Gonzo, and I'm super weary about it. I also think it's just a retelling of the first game. So.... idk. It has that little kid in it, who surely can't be in any other Bayonetta related games after the first one, Right? It doesn't look like she'll be in 2. Or at least, she hasn't been mentioned.

I was excited for this too, but then realised it was done by Gonzo, and I'm super weary about it. I also think it's just a retelling of the first game. So.... idk. It has that little kid in it, who surely can't be in any other Bayonetta related games after the first one, Right? It doesn't look like she'll be in 2. Or at least, she hasn't been mentioned.

Yeah I think you are right, if it has Cereza in it. Considering the story of the first game, it is unlikely she will make another appearance. Still, ill at least give it a try and report back.

I think my vote for most disappointing anime this season goes to Rowdy Sumo Wrestler Matsutaro. I wanted to like it because I figured it'd be a fun sumo romp. Instead the main character is just a douchebag and has shown literally no remorse for any of his actions so far. And most episodes are pretty boring, just following Matsutaro around as he does whatever the hell he pleases and everyone else tries to talk him down from beating up some random old man or whatever.

Yowapeda:

Oh man they finally caught up!

So good I cried.