I despised the first half of the Chimera Ant arc, but these past few episodes, while extreeeeemely slooooow have also been the most intense episodes of the entire series thus far. The latest one in particular was just fuuuuck.

I dunno if I like it more than Soul Eater. I really enjoyed Soul Eater at the time, and remember immediately wanting more once it finished. Never read the manga to compensate for the lack of anime, though.

What I'm saying is I still really like Hunter x Hunter. Weakest arc was the dumb Yorknew City (dumb name too) arc. Dumb dumb. Never liked that, even when I read the manga (until the guy broke his wrist or something and basically stopped drawing it for years or however long).

Agreed. I really like how they've strayed away from the tropey anime thing of having a conversation mid-attack, and instead letting the narrator narrate everything that's happened. And it's narrated in a bizarre way too. Like it's some kinda post-mortem or history documentary. Which makes sense I guess as it's kinda making history? (that sounds super lame, I know)

What was so dumb about Yorknew City? I liked that arc a lot. The spiders are really cool.

I also didn't know that he broke his arm. I thought it was because he had some crippling illness. That and he's also married to the mangaka of Sailor Moon, so has no need for writing stuff for money or fame.

Hey everyone. I just joined and thought I'd say hey. I probably won't post very often though. 

Also, I really like Yowapeda. 

I like Yowapeda too. The latest episode was a bit silly though.

Why didn't he just ask to change his pedal instead of doing like 5 laps walking?

The best bits are after the Ending credits when they chat inane shit. Always makes me laugh. You should probably check out Kuroko's Basketball, as it's similarly ace, if not better.

What was so dumb about Yorknew City? I liked that arc a lot. The spiders are really cool.

I also didn't know that he broke his arm. I thought it was because he had some crippling illness. That and he's also married to the mangaka of Sailor Moon, so has no need for writing stuff for money or fame.

Yorknew was BORING so slow and BORING and nothing HAPPENED. BORING.

I did say "or something"! I don't know what actually happened, but I do know that the result was the art got really bad and updates slowed to the point I eventually gave up on it, assuming it was dead. Granted, could have also been the scanlators losing interest because the art got so bad.

After some actual research instead of mere hearsay, his first hiatus (which I believe is around Greed Island ending) was due to an illness. Then his wife got pregnant, but most importantly now, is that he's an insanely busy person. Having to manage other mangakas as well as his own work (he produced Kuroko's Basketball - another excellent series (sorry to sound like a broken record. I've mentioned it numerous times in this thread)) as well as the HxH film that was released this year he apparantly produced.

As well as being busy he also makes a ton of money, with HxH volumes constantly being in the top 10 manga, even when no volumes have been produced for a while. So I guess Shueisha are happy with him releasing what he can when he can. He also has a special contract due to the stress caused when writing YuYu Hakasho. 

There's no solid reason why he's on hiatus now (apart from everything above), but he has stated that he does not want the current anime to catch up to the manga. After the Chimera Ant arc there are apparantly a 21 chapter arc and a 1 chapter start of a new arc left. And that was in November. Source.

I recently started watching an anime called From The New World, apparently based on a novel. Sort of a speculative fiction but also kids with psychic powers. One of those stories that takes place far in the future, but looks like it takes place in the past. Seems pretty good so far though. It looks like the novel hasn't been translated, which is a shame, because It might be interesting to read that story in that format.

I like Yowapeda too. The latest episode was a bit silly though.

Why didn't he just ask to change his pedal instead of doing like 5 laps walking?

The best bits are after the Ending credits when they chat inane shit. Always makes me laugh. You should probably check out Kuroko's Basketball, as it's similarly ace, if not better.

Yeah I thought that stuff was a bit silly too. I guess they just wanted to find a way for Teshima to help him. 

The ending bits are amazing and always super funny. I do watch Kuroko too and love it. Looking forward to Haikyuu this spring as well. 

I recently started watching an anime called From The New World, apparently based on a novel. Sort of a speculative fiction but also kids with psychic powers. One of those stories that takes place far in the future, but looks like it takes place in the past. Seems pretty good so far though. It looks like the novel hasn't been translated, which is a shame, because It might be interesting to read that story in that format.

Shin Sekai Yori, right?

I watched the first two episodes a while ago and am definitely interested. Just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

After some actual research instead of mere hearsay, his first hiatus (which I believe is around Greed Island ending) was due to an illness. Then his wife got pregnant, but most importantly now, is that he's an insanely busy person. Having to manage other mangakas as well as his own work (he produced Kuroko's Basketball - another excellent series (sorry to sound like a broken record. I've mentioned it numerous times in this thread)) as well as the HxH film that was released this year he apparantly produced.

As well as being busy he also makes a ton of money, with HxH volumes constantly being in the top 10 manga, even when no volumes have been produced for a while. So I guess Shueisha are happy with him releasing what he can when he can. He also has a special contract due to the stress caused when writing YuYu Hakasho. 

There's no solid reason why he's on hiatus now (apart from everything above), but he has stated that he does not want the current anime to catch up to the manga. After the Chimera Ant arc there are apparantly a 21 chapter arc and a 1 chapter start of a new arc left. And that was in November. Source.

Hm. None of that really explains why the ART got so bad at one point. I could've sworn it was either because he broke his wrist or maybe got carpal tunnel syndrome and switched hands for a while or somethingggg. But hey I guess I was wrong! Maybe it's just that as he grew sicker, he grew less concerned with making the art good and more concerned with trying to get it out in as timely a manner as possible.

Shame he's so busy now. I'd love for HxH to be finished properly soon so the anime doesn't come to an abrupt end!

Shin Sekai Yori, right?

I watched the first two episodes a while ago and am definitely interested. Just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

Yup that's the one. I found it browsing crunchyroll (which I signed up for mostly to watch kill la kill). I've watched the first like 8 or so episodes and I'm enjoying it.

Yup that's the one. I found it browsing crunchyroll (which I signed up for mostly to watch kill la kill). I've watched the first like 8 or so episodes and I'm enjoying it.

It's a solid series overall even if it does tread some familiar ground at times. I quite like the relatively constrained colour pallet which contrasts nicely with what is some very characterful and distinctive creature design. Worth spending some time with overall.

Yeah I thought that stuff was a bit silly too. I guess they just wanted to find a way for Teshima to help him. 

The ending bits are amazing and always super funny. I do watch Kuroko too and love it. Looking forward to Haikyuu this spring as well. 

My missus is super into Haikyuu. I'm looking forward to watching it in the spring. And it's done by I.G. Production, so will hopefully be super good. And right off the back of Kuroko too. They must have a thing right now for sports anime.

There are a couple of people who annoy me greatly in Yowa. Mainly the fucking arrogant jerk who thinks he's hot shit but he's not. I know that's the whole point of the character, but it's done so well and he rears his fucking head at the most irritating times, like when they win a race or something, and his whiny fucking voice pierces my eardrums and I want him to die. Especially annoying because he doesn't get any comeuppance that affects him or changes his personality.

Kuroko spoils:

Also the 'zone' shit in Kuroko is kinda lame and stupid. It feels very super saiyan in that it's pretty obvious I think that soon everyone's going to be in 'the zone' and then it's just going to be fucking stupid. It feels like they have reached the roof of credibility with it, and any additional 'super zone' shit will be stupid. But i'm still enjoying it.

Hm. None of that really explains why the ART got so bad at one point. I could've sworn it was either because he broke his wrist or maybe got carpal tunnel syndrome and switched hands for a while or somethingggg. But hey I guess I was wrong! Maybe it's just that as he grew sicker, he grew less concerned with making the art good and more concerned with trying to get it out in as timely a manner as possible.

Shame he's so busy now. I'd love for HxH to be finished properly soon so the anime doesn't come to an abrupt end!

I remember the art getting bad at around the end of Greed Island. I think that must have been when he was sick. I want the same thing too. I'd hate for the re-boot to have like 12 OVA's like the original run did.

My missus is super into Haikyuu. I'm looking forward to watching it in the spring. And it's done by I.G. Production, so will hopefully be super good. And right off the back of Kuroko too. They must have a thing right now for sports anime.

There are a couple of people who annoy me greatly in Yowa. Mainly the fucking arrogant jerk who thinks he's hot shit but he's not. I know that's the whole point of the character, but it's done so well and he rears his fucking head at the most irritating times, like when they win a race or something, and his whiny fucking voice pierces my eardrums and I want him to die. Especially annoying because he doesn't get any comeuppance that affects him or changes his personality.

Kuroko spoils:

Also the 'zone' shit in Kuroko is kinda lame and stupid. It feels very super saiyan in that it's pretty obvious I think that soon everyone's going to be in 'the zone' and then it's just going to be fucking stupid. It feels like they have reached the roof of credibility with it, and any additional 'super zone' shit will be stupid. But i'm still enjoying it.

Yeah, lots of awesome sports anime. I really like free! too, but not for the first season's plot. There's some soccer anime coming later this year too, but I can't remember what it is. 

I think it's really funny you hate Sugimoto so much, lol. My boyfriend really hates him too, but I think he's just kind of funny since he's so oblivious. He's clearly not a very good "experienced cyclist". Speaking of hating characters though, I have to mention the fucking weird psycho freak that is Hanamiya in Kuroko. I'm endlessly weirded out that he has a fanbase when he literally tries to injure other players. Really really hope he snaps his leg one of these days. 

And Kuroko's total insanity with that stuff and the moves that all have specific names everyone uses is part of the reason why I love it. Just the tone with the incredible seriousness of the in-game moments are so crazy, I can't help but smile and laugh most of the time. 

One sports anime I will say I didn't like was Ace of the Diamond. Just watched the first 4 or 5 episode but I didn't like most anything about it. The focus on the main character and the taking of everything way to seriously in the most boring way made me just give up on it. I might be unfair to it though, seeing as I'm a huge baseball fan and my favorite anime happens to be Oofuri. 

Sports animes are great at selling the sport to you.

Watching Eyeshield 21 made me almost join an american football team.

I have Cross Game sitting on my hard drive, but otherwise I tend to avoid sports anime myself.

Anyway, I'm going to keep using this space to bitch about Chuu2Koi, which I would have dropped after the second episode were I sane. The fifth one is about a napping competition with another school. A NAPPING COMPETITION. And the worst thing about this utterly inane plot (more inane than that episode of Bleach where they have to bake a cake using their shinigami powers in order to keep a ghost chef from turning into a Hollow) is that the writers set it up in a way that rules out any sort of character development or consequences. Rikka just blurts out the challenge to the other school, even though it's been established five minutes before that she'll always back down from confrontation, but then it turns out the other school is full of napping savants(?) whom they still manage to beat after the standard anime pep talk about friendship.

If the writers had had the courage (or the inclination) to make the show about Kumin, the senior who just sleeps all the time, we could have learned something about at least one character, instead of having another episode about how Rikka is a spaz and how the friends she inexplicably has band together to protect her from her own mistakes and restore the status quo. Imagine an episode where Kumin, with her passion for being asleep, is the driving force behind the napping competition, instead of Rikka's (inconsistently) big mouth! She challenges the other school, then makes the rest of the characters practice a brutal napping regimen that causes them to resent her, but when they show up, they blow the other team away thanks to Kumin's training and realize they had a pretty good time after all (and learned more about Kumin in the process). Now that's character development, even in the framework of an inane episode, but it'll never happen, since Chuu2Koi 2 is all about a friction-free group of "friends" among whom the only conflict is whether the two lovers will ever get the courage to hold each other's hand. Fuck this show, even K-On! has more drama.

Sports animes are great at selling the sport to you.

Watching Eyeshield 21 made me almost join an american football team.

I bought a road bike because of Yowapeda! I needed a bike anyway, and just had to get a road bike after watching the show. 

I have Cross Game sitting on my hard drive, but otherwise I tend to avoid sports anime myself.

Anyway, I'm going to keep using this space to bitch about Chuu2Koi, which I would have dropped after the second episode were I sane. The fifth one is about a napping competition with another school. A NAPPING COMPETITION. And the worst thing about this utterly inane plot (more inane than that episode of Bleach where they have to bake a cake using their shinigami powers in order to keep a ghost chef from turning into a Hollow) is that the writers set it up in a way that rules out any sort of character development or consequences. Rikka just blurts out the challenge to the other school, even though it's been established five minutes before that she'll always back down from confrontation, but then it turns out the other school is full of napping savants(?) whom they still manage to beat after the standard anime pep talk about friendship.

If the writers had had the courage (or the inclination) to make the show about Kumin, the senior who just sleeps all the time, we could have learned something about at least one character, instead of having another episode about how Rikka is a spaz and how the friends she inexplicably has band together to protect her from her own mistakes and restore the status quo. Imagine an episode where Kumin, with her passion for being asleep, is the driving force behind the napping competition, instead of Rikka's (inconsistently) big mouth! She challenges the other school, then makes the rest of the characters practice a brutal napping regimen that causes them to resent her, but when they show up, they blow the other team away thanks to Kumin's training and realize they had a pretty good time after all (and learned more about Kumin in the process). Now that's character development, even in the framework of an inane episode, but it'll never happen, since Chuu2Koi 2 is all about a friction-free group of "friends" among whom the only conflict is whether the two lovers will ever get the courage to hold each other's hand. Fuck this show, even K-On! has more drama.

Amazing. The writing was on the wall for me though, as there is no follow up light novel that has been released since the first season, so I kinda predicted this. They wouldn't dare try something that could provide any character development because what will happen when the author writes the third book and they did something stupid like evolve characters? Then we have a fuck up of Shaman King proportions. And Rikka and the main guy's celibacy shit is annoying and stupid too. Has the OC lass that was hinted in the OP reared her head too? Is there the predicted jealousy between her and Rikka because she is the main guy's childhood friend? I would also say that the whole of the first season is moe shit until the last 3 or 4 episodes. At least it isn't Endless Eight.

I worry for the same thing with Free! 2, but less so because it's pretty much all OC, but based off a book about when they were kids. So they can go fucking nuts with that I guess.

Amazing. The writing was on the wall for me though, as there is no follow up light novel that has been released since the first season, so I kinda predicted this. They wouldn't dare try something that could provide any character development because what will happen when the author writes the third book and they did something stupid like evolve characters? Then we have a fuck up of Shaman King proportions. And Rikka and the main guy's celibacy shit is annoying and stupid too. Has the OC lass that was hinted in the OP reared her head too? Is there the predicted jealousy between her and Rikka because she is the main guy's childhood friend? I would also say that the whole of the first season is moe shit until the last 3 or 4 episodes. At least it isn't Endless Eight.

I worry for the same thing with Free! 2, but less so because it's pretty much all OC, but based off a book about when they were kids. So they can go fucking nuts with that I guess.

There's several funny things here. First, Kumin (probably the best character right now, which is saying something when she's always asleep) and Dekomori (who needs to go drink bleach) are anime-original characters, so there's absolutely zero risk in giving them more development. They could move away or die or anything and it wouldn't affect the arc of the anime, really. I mean, the fourth episode actually does explore Dekomori's crush on the cheerleader girl, which made it bearable in theory, but it was really bearable more because we didn't have to deal with the two awful main characters at all. Not a good sign.

Also, the "OC lass" you mention is actually not OC, but rather the linchpin of the second light novel, otherwise you're absolutely right. I may have said it before in this thread, but her thing is that she's Yuuta's childhood friend and hugs him occasionally, which we're meant to see as an immediate and insurmountable threat to his inhumanly chaste relationship with Rikka. It drove one bit of character development in the second episode (Rikka agreeing to hold hands with Yuuta sometimes, but only under the usual fantasy-driven bullshit requirements), but otherwise is being played only for laughs when What's-Her-Face gets excited about positive developments in Yuuta's life and gives him a hug, then we cut to Rikka tearing up and going, "Uguuu..." Laughter, applause, next scene. It's seriously the tightest holding pattern I've ever seen in the hundreds of anime I've watched, which feels silly since the source material isn't that stellar anyway. I really don't know why I'm watching it, except that... no, there's no good reason.

Also, I liked the "Endless Eight" arc. It may have been excessive, but it was trying to do something artful. This is just KyoAni wanting the revenue from a second season of Chuu2Koi but being scared of alienating the author/fans of the source material, so making million-dollar filler instead. I get a little sick just thinking about it like that.

There's several funny things here. First, Kumin (probably the best character right now, which is saying something when she's always asleep) and Dekomori (who needs to go drink bleach) are anime-original characters, so there's absolutely zero risk in giving them more development. They could move away or die or anything and it wouldn't affect the arc of the anime, really. I mean, the fourth episode actually does explore Dekomori's crush on the cheerleader girl, which made it bearable in theory, but it was really bearable more because we didn't have to deal with the two awful main characters at all. Not a good sign.

Also, the "OC lass" you mention is actually not OC, but rather the linchpin of the second light novel, otherwise you're absolutely right. I may have said it before in this thread, but her thing is that she's Yuuta's childhood friend and hugs him occasionally, which we're meant to see as an immediate and insurmountable threat to his inhumanly chaste relationship with Rikka. It drove one bit of character development in the second episode (Rikka agreeing to hold hands with Yuuta sometimes, but only under the usual fantasy-driven bullshit requirements), but otherwise is being played only for laughs when What's-Her-Face gets excited about positive developments in Yuuta's life and gives him a hug, then we cut to Rikka tearing up and going, "Uguuu..." Laughter, applause, next scene. It's seriously the tightest holding pattern I've ever seen in the hundreds of anime I've watched, which feels silly since the source material isn't that stellar anyway. I really don't know why I'm watching it, except that... no, there's no good reason.

Also, I liked the "Endless Eight" arc. It may have been excessive, but it was trying to do something artful. This is just KyoAni wanting the revenue from a second season of Chuu2Koi but being scared of alienating the author/fans of the source material, so making million-dollar filler instead. I get a little sick just thinking about it like that.

TIL. I didn't know any of this, as I haven't read the light novels, so just made awful assumptions. Also I haven't actually watched Haruhi, just heard of it's awfulness. I'm the worst.

Also don't forget the Chuu2koi film, which I didn't even know was a thing till I read the wiki. It seems like a completely missed opportunity by KyoAni. I really hope this fails, as for every Hyouka and Nichijou there's a Tamako Market and Chuu2koi2. here's hoping that they make something interesting next. Which I think is Free! 2?

This is just KyoAni wanting the revenue from a second season of Chuu2Koi but being scared of alienating the author/fans of the source material, so making million-dollar filler instead. I get a little sick just thinking about it like that.

It seems there's always a lot of high budget, zero imagination series about.

I wonder if anyone can think of some good examples of anime which are the polar opposite of that, by which I mean good well written series with zero budget behind them.

It's hard for me to think of many series that have done great things with very low production values, &/or without a famous director/author/studio behind them.

I've been watching Log Horizon which Twig recommend a few weeks back and although it's nothing special it feels like it's doing well with its small budget. But equally it feels like it's the sort of story which is perfectly fitted to that sort of low budget, entertaining rather than outstanding in any way.

Is anime just a medium where money talks in a way it doesn't in many others?

It seems there's always a lot of high budget, zero imagination series about.

I wonder if anyone can think of some good examples of anime which are the polar opposite of that, by which I mean good well written series with zero budget behind them.

It's hard for me to think of many series that have done great things with very low production values, &/or without a famous director/author/studio behind them.

I've been watching Log Horizon which Twig recommend a few weeks back and although it's nothing special it feels like it's doing well with its small budget. But equally it feels like it's the sort of story which is perfectly fitted to that sort of low budget, entertaining rather than outstanding in any way.

Is anime just a medium where money talks in a way it doesn't in many others?

There's a revolution of limited-animation shorts lately. Teekyuu is the really big one, but they and their contemporaries are making two-minute "episodes" that are getting "not anime" hate like Gone Home or Dear Esther is getting "not a game" hate. You can also look at a few basement auteurs like Shinkai Makoto, although his budgets have ballooned after his first movie.

Actually, come to think of it, I've been rewatching Berserk for the first time in almost a decade, mostly because a friend was curious. With my more experienced eye, it's painfully obvious that OLM has no money. More or less every other shot is a tracking still, although they draw blood on top of most to give some "movement" to them. Maybe it gets better once money from Pokémon started rolling in, but I think the first half of the series fits your criteria perfectly.

There's a revolution of limited-animation shorts lately. Teekyuu is the really big one, but they and their contemporaries are making two-minute "episodes" that are getting "not anime" hate like Gone Home or Dear Esther is getting "not a game" hate. You can also look at a few basement auteurs like Shinkai Makoto, although his budgets have ballooned after his first movie.

Actually, come to think of it, I've been rewatching Berserk for the first time in almost a decade, mostly because a friend was curious. With my more experienced eye, it's painfully obvious that OLM has no money. More or less every other shot is a tracking still, although they draw blood on top of most to give some "movement" to them. Maybe it gets better once money from Pokémon started rolling in, but I think the first half of the series fits your criteria perfectly.

Voices of a Distant Star was one of the few one man things i could think of immediately as a example of a original work rather than a adaptation. 

Your absolutely right to call out Berserk as a good example of something with a ultra low budget in the early episodes, in some ways it and a few other early anime seem to have been the early ancestors of the  modern "motion comics" which get put out for many western superhero comics these days.

However Berserk isn't quite what I'm after in some ways since it had the benefit of a successful manga behind it (same goes for Teekyuu i guess), so it could at least count on having a fanbase to pull it along.

Also it's more that it ignored it's limitations rather than worked within them. Almost like it was just trying to get away with as much as it could.

But i do take your point that it managed to pack quite a impact despite its early budget limitations

it's nothing special

):

Nah I can understand that feeling but I still really enjoy it. By far the best "we're all in a video game" anime I think I've ever seen. I say that as someone who LOVED .hack as a teenager but pretty confident that I'd decidedly not love .hack now.

They did just basically pull a

"let's exploit the pretty princess' prettiness", though, and while I can see where they were going with it I doubt she'll change out of her sexy warrior outfit in the future when she finally grows out just being a pretty princess and that disappoints me. Especially because she's my favorite character otherwise. Or was. Hmm I dunno. Whatever!

):

Nah I can understand that feeling but I still really enjoy it. By far the best "we're all in a video game" anime I think I've ever seen. I say that as someone who LOVED .hack as a teenager but pretty confident that I'd decidedly not love .hack now.

They did just basically pull a

"let's exploit the pretty princess' prettiness", though, and while I can see where they were going with it I doubt she'll change out of her sexy warrior outfit in the future when she finally grows out just being a pretty princess and that disappoints me. Especially because she's my favorite character otherwise. Or was. Hmm I dunno. Whatever!

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it, it's just I doubt I'll remember a thing about it in a year or two.

I actually really liked the first half of Sword Art Online, but MAN did it go off the rails in the second half. I mean, those rails were sabotaged, halfway point just rigged with esplosives that send the train flying into a ravine filled with jagged rocks.

It's not good, is what I'm saying.

I actually really liked the first half of Sword Art Online, but MAN did it go off the rails in the second half. I mean, those rails were sabotaged, halfway point just rigged with esplosives that send the train flying into a ravine filled with jagged rocks.

It's not good, is what I'm saying.

Couldn't agree more.  The first half was becoming one of my favorite recent series but that turn in the second half was pretty bad.  I wish they didn't have those major time jumps in the first half and just extended it out to at least a full season in that setting.

I refuse to watch Sword Art Online. I almost refused to watch Log Horizon. I'm glad I didn't.

I'm now 15 episodes into From the New World. Hey this shit is pretty good, yo. Someone mentioned the colors earlier in this thread as really standing out. Or, rather, almost the opposite. I agree. I love it. Man. Also this anime is sort of unnerving. It disturbs me frequently. I love it.

I refuse to watch Sword Art Online.

I'm not gonna say that's the wrong choice.

BPZWr1y.gif

From the New World is great though! Just don't read the manga - it's porn!