I was joking, but the internet is bad for transmitting mirth.

You have no idea how many times people have recommended TTGL, someday i'll have to watch it.

I think it's probably one of the coolest things i've ever seen, it's amazing, i love it so much. (Shares a lot of talent with FLCL, so that is kind of an indication of the tone.)

Don't watch the dub, the american voice actors are largely unable to do the hot-blooded antics justice.

I think it's probably one of the coolest things i've ever seen, it's amazing, i love it so much. (Shares a lot of talent with FLCL, so that is kind of an indication of the tone.)

I think FLCL and TTGL are very different kinds of anime : they both feature full limited animation and completely accept their own silliness, but FLCL is deeper, more complex and has a better and more interestingly structure as well direction (mise-en-scène, never know the proper world in english) than TTGL, which is basically a race for making the manliest, most ridiculous, most over the top giant robot anime ever.

But then again, FLCL is my favorite anime and one my favorite movie thingy ever.... So perfect on all aspect.

One thing that makes TTGL more interesting for those who haven't watched it yet, is to start at episode 17, ignoring the first half of the storyline; the void of explanation is making it much more interesting IMO.

edit: two many 'and's

Edited by vimes

Don't watch the dub, the american voice actors are largely unable to do the hot-blooded antics justice.

Bah, dubs are the worst. The only anime i'll ever actually watch a dubbed version of will be P4A because i'm used to those American voice actors, presuming they get the same ones back like they did for the Japanese version.

One thing that makes TTGL more interesting for those who haven't watched it yet, is to start at episode 17, ignoring the first half of the storyline; the void of explanation is making it much more interesting IMO.

Sounds interesting, can I get a second opinion? As a total outsider to TTGL, it sounds like a good idea.

Vimes... No, dude... You shouldn't recommend something like that for any kind of arc-driven series, even if it is just crazy dumb fun. A major, major part of what makes the insanity of those final episodes so completely memorable is how far the characters have come from the start of the series. TTGL is a series that just keeps one-upping itself at every turn.

I... I... No, you absolutely shouldn't start with the end of the show, that's a terrible idea. No. No. No.

I would recommend trying to keep a level head about the series though, there's a lot of hyperbole that has been spewed about it, given how massively memetic it went on the internet, and it does lead some people to have needlessly elevated expectations.

I mean...

Gainax made a really fun and exciting super robot show, you might have a lot of fun, and it probably won't change your life.

Can you keep that in perspective? Heh.

If you've also managed to avoid spoilers, stick to that. It is an arc-driven series, and the plot does swerve in some unexpected directions.

Ah, well ... depending on how high your tolerance to shonen character and storyline stereotypes is, watching the first 16 episodes could makes sense.

Mine is very low (I hate character screaming the name of whatever stuff they are doing) and starting the series in media res at episode 17 was a blessing : I went back to the earlier episode after going all the way to the end, and it turns out it was more interesting to guess what were the dynamic of the cast before the change of story arc (and lots of stuff are referenced) ; than to find out what they really were (i.e. big fat sterotypical shonen relationship).

My opinion is that TTGL is worth seeing for some of the animation and from a meta perspective, to witness a genre being push to its limit in a decadent, don't-give-a-fuck kind of way ... the characters, writing, storyline or even universe are really nothing special at all.

I feel like maybe you missed out on some of the fun with the way you watched the show, but all the same you probably wouldn't have given it a chance otherwise.

If somebody is willing to commit to watching the whole series though, i don't see why they wouldn't want to watch it through from the start. It's not exactly an especially long series either, it's not a huge investment of time. (Relatively speaking.)

You know, and i don't know if you're giving it enough credit. It was kind of a celebratory reinvention and reconstruction of those kind of fun idealistic super robot archetypes, after years and years of sort of darker and deconstructive mecha shows.

So it's big, and it's dumb, and hilarious, and it keeps surpassing itself to ever more impossible degrees.

The only anime i'll ever actually watch a dubbed version of will be P4A because i'm used to those American voice actors

Aha, is this our chance?

The anime in Anime.txt are anime that i've seen recommended but haven't gotten around to investigating yet.

Anime.

Oh man, I used to compulsively keep a list of all the stuff I watched, because I watched so many at the same time... Let's see if I can find it, then people can see what I wasted much of my teenage years on. :grin: (this is a terrible idea)

Man, Shammack is revealed to be no fun.

I kid, but also wish I could customize my ringtone on my current phone. My first phone had a little thing where you could ponderously arrange notes on a chart and have them played back as your ring. I spent way too long recreating the LeChuck theme from Monkey Island (from memory!), but it was totally worth it.

They've put out a whole bunch of trailers for P4A, but this latest one includes the opening song, which i'm so-so on. Also, Nanako.

v3v-QP6MCAA

Other anime:

I watched Angel Beats!, which was amazing, one of the better anime i've seen. It's all about the afterlife, god and finding a purpose in life.

That music... it had an English sound to it, but I was unable to decipher it.

Sort of like this:

Ov_UksYViOc

That's why i'm so-so on it. I like the sound of the music and the way the vocals sound, but the content is just sadiashfjaioghdkjsghkjadhajskfasfljagoijoiagndlagndslgksslowlyiojasdfoaghdjakljfriendsakljagkljaff.

Some crazy people have apparently figured it out:

Glaciers of ideas importing

To my friends then exporting

To the next keeping it open

No we want closing

Even without doughs our thoughts

Can be dope and

This mind train no one can stop

An act of thinking is terrible to stop

We just wanna change up not drop

And my crew can rock it like uprock

Life is tedious if it ain't flowing

Copy and paste?

Constant defaulting?

Put my courage to it

Begin showing off

That's the way we wanna live

Keep going. Yeah.

Love it so much

Transfer and see

Turning too bright

It's intention

Instinct tells me to keep going together,

going together...

It's breathtaking moments in life

Addicted to a widescreen light more and more

I believe in you and I can do anything

We can change the world

It's best to leave your wake and spread wings

Too long this time for

Together we go

Notttt really anime, but a live-action adaptation of an anime/manga: yesterday I saw the Space Battleship Yamato film from last year. It was entertaining, but a bit of a mess too. It had major problems. A shame to see, since the whole thing reeked of potential. It could have easily been Japan's answer to BSG, but it never became more than a washed-down version of (what I can only assume was) the original story of the manga.

That's why i'm so-so on it

I agree, I'm not there yet. It's odd - it doesn't sound like Shoji Meguro, and yet it is.

Also could they at least have kept the translation of the Junes theme consistent (even if the original was incorrect)?

Edit: Eeeee! Prisencolinensinainciusol!

It is a lot like the intro song to Persona 4, in that regard.

VKrPtx6LzrU

So I guess it does work?

We are living our lives

Abound with so much information

Come on, let go of the remote; don’t you know you’re letting all the junk flood in?

I try to stop the flow, double clicking on the go, but it’s no use; hey, I’m being consumed

Loading loading loading, quickly reaching maximum capacity

Warning warning warning, gonna short-circuit my identity (ahhhhh)

Get up on your feet, tear down the walls

Catch a glimpse of the hollow world

Snooping ‘round will get you nowhere

You’re locked up in your mind

We’re all trapped in a maze of relationships

Life goes on with or without you

I swim in the sea of the unconscious

I search for your heart, pursuing my true self

So apparently they've started doing some live broadcasts of the show on Nico Nico Douga which are being hosted by the voice actors, they've put out this trailer from the new footage:

wBXdFco4hdg

It's looking pretty great, seems like it might actually be fairly dark which i'm all for.

I was on a big Dutch Japanese culture convention last weekend and saw some episodes of Gainax' Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt from recent years. This is typical Gainax fare: very dynamic, 6-frames a second animation and chock full of punch-in-the-face jokes. If you like that sort of stuff, check it.

Edited by Rodi

It's looking pretty great, seems like it might actually be fairly dark which i'm all for.

Weird, I just went through Giant Bombs persona 4 play through. I am not an anime fan, but have to say with all the weird stuff it defiantly got my attention and admiration in the same way Deadly Premonition did.

I think without all the odd gamey stuff and hilarious observations of giant bomb, I'm not sure if I could do an anime. Though I am curious as to how they handle the main character since he was a null object in the game.

How will he act, what are the relationships like and why am I wondering about this crap? I dunno, but I may check it out, lol.

Hey dudes, and etc. I like the Japanimations. They are fun. Here's a list of all the embarrassing shit I've watched over the ten or so years I've been watching anime.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_3scf2ITGzdDJhLVN3bFhIbkg5LTg5clhRSGJkVkE&hl=en_US

I AM UNASHAMED.

Well okay there's some stuff on there that makes me question the worthiness of my own existence, but whatever. Also, there's probably some stuff I'm missing from my teenage years, because I didn't start this list until some time after I started watching anime, and the list has made several transitions, and it's only in the past few years that I've actually started being OCD about this. I really should add a ranking system - more than just YES/NO. Oh well.

Recommendations?

I realize the question is vague - in no small part because it's only one word long - but I do tend to like things from many different genres, as long as they're quality. Normally I have this friend who tells me the name of an anime, and I watch it immediately based solely on his recommendation without any other information, because he's yet to steer me wrong. But he's been silent lately and I find I spontaneously have a hankerin' for anime.

Recommendations?

Most of the things that i've seen are on that list, but I can not believe you haven't seen 'Welcome to the NHK!'. In my opinion that show is a masterpiece, you owe it to yourself to watch it immediately.

I see you've seen Kemonozume which I still need to watch. I would guess you could watch Kaiba or Tatami Galaxy, two other Masaaki Yuasa directed series, but I have no idea if they are any good or not.