When you say "budgeted", what do you mean, exactly? Because from what I've seen of his works, they're all very well-animated.

My apologies, I'm not sure if I know of a better way to say it, as I'm pretty sure Satoshi Kon movies all tend to be higher budget for Japanese productions.

I mean budget as in terms of available animation frames not really in available movie budget, although they are related as well. Paprika doesn't really fit this bill but the other two I've seen, Tokyo Godfathers and Perfect Blue, to me it's obvious they have a high amount of frames they can work with but I don't necessarily agree with which scenes get a higher amount of fluid animation and which ones are stills or pans or something similar. Really it's just distracting to me as both follow the usual Japanese production method of putting most animation budget on action scenes and leaving the character or talking scenes with little movement, but that may just be more Japanese taste.

Usually it's the animation supervisor in animation productions figuring out how to distribute which scenes have so many drawn frames, so it's probably not exactly attributed to Kon himself.

I guess most of my favorite Japanese animation doesn't often skimp on character acting frames. I have noticed in general it seems Japanese animation is taking more cues on character acting the last decade and incorporating it as essential. I must say when Japanese productions do character acting type stuff, it's incredibly easy on the eyes and makes sense because they are not doing it in the flail around overact traditional CalArts/Disney/Pixar animators do. They still do the character animation in the usual Japanese frame conserving kind of way, which leads to most things masterfully making use of pauses and character beats while the general mainstream American method is to have every character darting their eyes constantly, jerking their faces around, and swinging their bodies all over the place even when delivering the most simple of lines like some sort of drug addict.

Er.. year, either way, I always like the stories and characters in Kon movies I've seen, so I think I should really revisit soon.

So, Honneamise...

The animation and artistic direction are nothing special, but its strong script clearly makes up for it : it is one of those rare sci-fi movies that manage to put great details in the sci-fi elements while knowing they should act as a background to a characters-centric plot; and in this case, since plot is enjoyably thought provoking, it's pretty great... at least for 95% of the movie.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but to me, the major drive of the movie is the confrontation of two outlooks son life - blasé pragmatism with no 'higher aspiration' vs Manichean moral compass completely divorced from reality - that are not only bankrupt, but also fail to communicate and feed on each other when they could; and when you expect they would.

I find this approach interesting and it is very well handled for 90 minutes, so much so, that its natural conclusion - to have no closure on this confrontation - seems pretty much guaranteed ... but in the last 15 minutes, the movie suddenly decides to pick side; in a preachy ending that stinks of 2001 memes.

It's a shame but it still remains worth watching.

So I finished watching Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) a while ago, but i've been sitting on Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya) for a month or so. I didn't want to watch it because I worried I wouldn't enjoy it and it would then ruin the series, which I loved.

Today I watched it, and in keeping with the show, it was one of the best thing i've ever seen. Visually it looked incredible, I don't think i've seen a better looking anime, and in terms of story it was just as batshit insane as the series.

I loved every second of it.

Unfortunately, you have to watch the entire series to understand ANY of what is going on in the movie and that is harder than it should be considering the multiple viewing orders, however I would recommend it above anything else. If you want help figuring out how best to watch the show, PM me.

Movie trailer:

SC8z--pDQhE

Edited by Thompson

How many parts are there in the Suzumiya Haruhi saga?

How many parts are there in the Suzumiya Haruhi saga?

Let's see:

11 Light Novels

2 Manga Adaptations, 1 with 5 volumes, the other being a comic strip spin-off.

2 anime series, one with 2 seasons with a total of 28 episodes, one a parody with 25 episodes based on the above mentioned manga spin-off.

1 movie

An audio drama series

6 video games

If you want help figuring out how best to watch the show, PM me.
If you're looking for a engrossing time, call...

A month or so ago a dead body was found hanging from a (Detroit-area?) TV transmitter. Let me tell you, that got a lot of people in /v/ quite excited.

attachment.php?attachmentid=674&stc=1&d=1303079172

post-2535-13375603382582_thumb.jpg

I loved The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but the second season got kind of hard to watch with the whole Endless Eight part. Also the ending, i felt, was a little lack luster, and left me wanting more. Over all it was great.

About the Persona 4 anime dose any know when its coming out? I really enjoyed the Persona 3 anime

I loved The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, but the second season got kind of hard to watch with the whole Endless Eight part. Also the ending, i felt, was a little lack luster, and left me wanting more. Over all it was great.

About the Persona 4 anime dose any know when its coming out? I really enjoyed the Persona 3 anime

Endless Eight was indisputably a disaster, many of the people who worked on the show left because of it.

Fall 2011 for P4A.

A month or so ago a dead body was found hanging from a (Detroit-area?) TV transmitter. Let me tell you, that got a lot of people in /v/ quite excited.

attachment.php?attachmentid=674&stc=1&d=1303079172

I feel horrible, because I was like "OH MAN, HELL YES!!!!", and then I was like, "oh. It's a real person, now I feel like a jerk". ;(

I feel horrible, because I was like "OH MAN, HELL YES!!!!", and then I was like, "oh. It's a real person, now I feel like a jerk". ;(

Yeah, apart from it being a real person, the timing etc was exquisite for it to be a viral p4 anime teaser.

Any of you folks keep up with currently airing animes?

A lot of legitimate simulcasts these days.

Any of you folks keep up with currently airing animes?

A lot of legitimate simulcasts these days.

One episode left on Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai, sadly.

I could translate that roughly and what the hell... Is there any current anime that isn't creepy? O_O

I could translate that roughly and what the hell... Is there any current anime that isn't creepy? O_O

It does have a really creepy name, but in reality it's not what it sounds like. Read this.

Kyosuke Kosaka, a normal 17-year-old high school student living in Chiba, has not gotten along with his younger sister Kirino in years. For longer than he can remember, Kirino has ignored his comings and goings and looked at him with spurning eyes. It seemed as if the relationship between Kyōsuke and his sister, now fourteen, would continue this way forever. One day however, Kyosuke finds a DVD case of a magical girl anime which had fallen in his house's entrance way. To Kyosuke's surprise, he finds a hidden eroge (an adult game) inside the case and he soon learns that both the DVD and the game belong to Kirino. That night, Kirino brings Kyosuke to her room and reveals herself to be an otaku with an extensive collection of moe anime and younger sister-themed eroge she has been collecting in secret. Kyosuke quickly becomes Kirino's confidant for her secret hobby.

Comedy ensues.

^ This man seems to be into the moe animes.

Anyways...

Hey, let me recommend something current that looks cool.

I don't know what the world-wide availability is though, if that's blocking any of you, apologies.

So that's an official funimation simulcast of a new series, and that youtube channel will be updating weekly with new episodes if anybody is interested.

I think Thompson is 16 or 17, so he's allowed without it being creepy. :grin:

Yes, that is blocked for me. What's it called?

Yes, that is blocked for me. What's it called?

[C] - Control.

Uhhh, not really sure what it'll end up being, but it seems to be people using their "futures" as collateral in crazy gorgeous technicolor summoning battles, with a lot of ponderous naval-gazing concerning money and banking. It's very weird, but it really seems like it could be very cool.

^ This man seems to be into the moe animes.

:finger:

I think Thompson is 16 or 17, so he's allowed without it being creepy. :grin:

:yep:

Say what you will:

Snap_20110428_14h02m08s_002.jpg

The anime in Anime.txt are anime that i've seen recommended but haven't gotten around to investigating yet.

Anime.

:finger:

Hey, don't take it the wrong way, i'm not bitching you out for it, i don't care.

I saw the first few episodes of Steins Gate on Crunchyroll, which is all that has aired thus far, it seems pretty cool.

Also, with FLCL and NGE in there, i hope you've also seen TTGL. Heh.

Hey, don't take it the wrong way, i'm not bitching you out for it, i don't care.

I saw the first few episodes of Steins Gate on Crunchyroll, which is all that has aired thus far, it seems pretty cool.

Also, with FLCL and NGE in there, i hope you've also seen TTGL. Heh.

I was joking, but the internet is bad for transmitting mirth.

You have no idea how many times people have recommended TTGL, someday i'll have to watch it.