DanMarshall

Sonic Rivals Gameplay Trailer

Complete shit. The camera seems terrible and the graphics are pathetic. :tup:

Yeah, the graphics and animation don't look good, but it's uplifting to see that they have finally gone back to the side-on view, like everyone has been telling them to for years.

I just think it looks boring—the races on sonic 3 (I think, could be two) were much more interesting. Here, it just seems to be a loop, a spring, the occasional barrier.

animations are horrible, graphics and camera too:deranged:

the 3d portion of sonic jam (saturn) looked waaaay better.

instead of releasing those terrible sonic3d games, they could try some kind of new NextGen *full2D* game, with nice 2d graphics and all...and not in a "revamp the classic" state of mind...but creating some new 2d sonic with all the new characters and contents they created over these years.

Sonic Rush on the DS is actually brilliant, the best handheld Sonic for my money. This just looks terrible. Either go full 3D or go 2D, that's what the likes of Pandemonium and Crash Bandicoot taught us before Super Mario 64 turned up.

I must admit I was pleasantly surprised when Shadow made an appearance, though. Still, the camera's horrible (Deja vu 3D Sonic games?).

I showed this to my mother who is a Sonic fan, and she said : "Oh, 3D Sonic. The camera...well : no".:grin:

@ Tingler : Didn't know there was a Sonic on DS, just another reason to buy it, thanks.

Thank God I realized this was the PSP game, for a moment I though you guys were talking about the next gen one!

Maybe they just rushed this game so the PSP owners could have at least one Sonic game?:erm:

Mmmm... Sonic Rush. So good. Play it, Erik. Best Sonic game in a long time. As for this game, it looks like the camera is substituting style for functionality, and will probably screw me up quite a few times if I try to play it. I actually have a backlog of games to play on the PSP (Megaman Powered Up and Metal Gear Ac!d 2) so this does not make my list.

It looks like it's supposed to be good, but they didn't do a very good job of it.

Either go full 3D or go 2D, that's what the likes of Pandemonium and Crash Bandicoot taught us before Super Mario 64 turned up..

Klonoa disagrees with you :finger:

Klonoa disagrees with you :finger:

Man, I remember playing the Klonoa demo quite a few times. Never bought it though, but I'm confident in saying it was great anyway.

Okay seriously, was anyone even *playing* in that video, or did they just tape the analog stick to the right?! That didn't look very fast, very fun, or very interesting...I hope the other levels are better. I don't have a PSP anyway, so, whatever. And I have Sonic Rush. :)

Hmm. Can't say I've heard of Klonoa. (rushes off, finds it) Oh. Again, looks kind of pointless - regardless of the game behind it, if you can't move in 3D it might as well be a proper 2D game. Lemmings Revolution is another good example - that was just an exercise in pointlessness. So what did they do with Lemmings on the PSP? They made it 2D again. 3D characters are acceptable though (Sonic Rush and New Super Mario Bros to name two), as long as the levels themselves play in 2D. If you're going to have 3D-graphics in a basically 2D game - forget the 3D camera!

I'm waiting for someone to mention NiGHTS...

NiGHTS rules. But the camera in that is good, and the whole thing makes sense. Viewtiful Joe, also awesome...but the camera didn't really move in 3D as far as I can remember, or not much.

Looks pretty good to me.

The graphics are great ... bright and vibrant like Sonic is supposed to be. The animation was alright too, but that's something that can definitely be tweaked/polished up before the game goes gold. I dunno what the complaints over the camera are for ... it could do with a bit of zooming out, and there were some bits (the spiral) where they didn't quite show you enough of what was up ahead (in the case of the spiral, I think that was on purpose), but other than that it looks fine to me.

My main problem is the one that Tommy Gun brought up ... it really doesn't look like the game needs much human interaction at all. I'm guessing this is an early level though, so maybe the later levels heat up.

SiN

Also, Sonics legs don't turn into a circle-y blur anymore. Why the hell not?

Half Life 2: Aftermath (Episode 1 is a dumb name. I'm sticking with the original)

With you there. 'Episode 1' just doesn't make any sense. Was HL2 'Episode 0'?

Are you going to be first in line for a Nintendo Revolution, as well? :grin:

[...]Klonoa [...] looks kind of pointless - regardless of the game behind it, if you can't move in 3D it might as well be a proper 2D game.

and then..

3D characters are acceptable though (Sonic Rush and New Super Mario Bros to name two)

The Sonic Rush boss battles play like Klonoa, for the most part. It works fine (and Klonoa 2 is a great game, find it if you can)

Hmm, true, but they're only brief - not the full game. I'm prepared to admit defeat if it really NEEDS to look 3D like that, but I'd have to play the game first - although I don't know how easily obtainable it is.

Are you going to be first in line for a Nintendo Revolution, as well? :grin:

Actually, I like the name Wii now. It's grown on me. Episode 1 though, makes absolutely no sense and has that whole "Star Wars" thing dragging it down.