DanMarshall

My First Review (Gibbage related ¬¬)

Sorry to go back to blithering on about Gibbage, but:

Woo hoo! PCZone's review of Gibbage is out today, and it was raaaather favourable! I'm extremely happy!

I'm off to count the doubtless neverending tide of money that's about to start flying my way...!

Dan

ps ooh, there's more info on what they said here.

Wow, that's great! Have they done reviews of independant games in the past or is this a first?

They do a round up of 5 Indie games each month.

This month, I'm number one, which is the best number to be.

The loneliest number...

Unfortunately though, I've heard that two can be as bad as one.

In all seriousness though, grats man. Now I can say "I communicated with him on a forum once in a while way back when..."

Unfortunately though, I've heard that two can be as bad as one.

Me too, but on the other hand I've also heard somewhere that one is much much worse than two. What's the deal with that?

:shifty:

Anyway, congratulations! I have seen the name Gibbage many times here in the forums, but for some reason I never took a closer look at the game. I probably confused it with some other game I knew wouldn't interest me. Now that I have checked the screenshots, it looks pretty cool. I'm going to try the demo tomorrow.

Groovy. Let me know how you get on...!

Cheers for the comments, guys. It just got reviewed on GameTunnel who, moments after deciding it was 'meh' offered to sell it for me taking a large slice of the profits. Unbelievable.

Groovy. Let me know how you get on...!

Cheers for the comments, guys. It just got reviewed on GameTunnel who, moments after deciding it was 'meh' offered to sell it for me taking a large slice of the profits. Unbelievable.

DON'T DO IT... they're just after money (oh yeah - this is capitalism - sorry I forgot....)

DON'T DO IT... they're just after money (oh yeah - this is capitalism - sorry I forgot....)

Not a chance! After the creidt card peoples' fees and transfer fees, I make little enough cash out of this little enterprise as it is!

Not a chance! After the creidt card peoples' fees and transfer fees, I make little enough cash out of this little enterprise as it is!

Not a chance that you will do it or not? ... sorry for being daft...

There's no way I'll let them sell it. Until sales comepletely dry up, at which point I'll let any old crook flog it in the hopes of making a little extra beer money...!

Niiice. I guess your comments have stirred up the Game Tunnel guys a bit. While I think GT does a great job in making people aware of indie games, I think their reviews can sometimes be damaging for a game if the particular group of reviewers doesn't like it, and I think the Gibbage review is one of those cases, Seth's comments aside. I don't think you got an unfair deal, and the guys who didn't like it seem very apologetic about it, but that big 6.5 lumps your "this-would-be-great-if-I-liked-it" game with the big pile of mediocre releases that come out every day.

I just think that when you're dealing with an industry where a couple of lost sales means the difference between making a profit or not you should be able to say "This game is great even if I don't like it".

Sorry I'm rambling. 2 hours sleep twice in a row.

I guess your comments have stirred up the Game Tunnel guys a bit.

Yeah, I figured I'd better stay out of it.

My favourite bit is where Russ says: "My guess is that Gibbage saw some sales due to the round-up."

Nope. Not one.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. I bet the 8+ score games see sales from the round-up, because if most people are like me, they want to spend their hard-earned cash on something worthwhile, but it's burning a hole in their pocket and they have to act fast and don't have time to read ;)