General Fuzzy McBitty

Dreamfall question

I bought mine, the xbox version, at a store. It was EB Games I believe. Now, not sure about the pc version....

european release is in about 3 days

Uh, I think it's been out here for almost two weeks or something now.

I was quite pleased, I went to Best Buy yesterday and they had Dreamfall on their front shelf just as you walk in. They had a decent number of them, and it also looked like they'd sold quite a few.

Uh, I think it's been out here for almost two weeks or something now.

Well a couple of online retailers in the eu have it marked to be released on 26 may.

Interesting to note that the funcom webstore is run from germany and they have been selling the game since 26th of april

Also, everyone has really creepy eyes.

I haven't finished yet, so I'm not going in the spoilers thread. :erm:

Yeah, the eyes are bad and the animation overall is even worse. There's also a lack of gameplay and puzzles that aren't incredibly easy. At times it's just "move character forward and trigger the next cutscene". When a large point of the game seems to be to drive the story forward and not promote a decent gaming experience, I get sort of ticked off. I still mostly like it though...

Yeah, the eyes are bad and the animation overall is even worse. There's also a lack of gameplay and puzzles that aren't incredibly easy. At times it's just "move character forward and trigger the next cutscene". When a large point of the game seems to be to drive the story forward and not promote a decent gaming experience, I get sort of ticked off. I still mostly like it though...

So far I like it. I'm just a little sad about the fact that they included a "multiple paths" interface without actually giving you multiple paths.

It doesn't matter that you took the time to hide, because the same thing happens to you no matter what.

I'm really enjoying the story so far, but I expected a bit more in the way of puzzles. I like to pick up items.

So far there were a few really annoying scenes where I had to "go fetch the item" run it back. "Go someplace" oh no, back track... OH! now go back to where you just were!"

Those were the moments where I feel the gameplay is suffering. I can handle it being a story on rails... but don't bore me.

Hell, I started playing adventure games because they feel like books that I can interact with.

On a side note, do we still have spoiler tags? I don't remember how to use the bloody things.

On a side not, do we still have spoiler tags? I don't remember how to use the bloody things.

It should be [ spoiler ] text [ /spoiler ], without the spacing.

I still have yet to find a copy myself. Can anyone recommend between the Xbox and PC versions? My PC is very capable, so compatability isn't a problem, but from what I've heard this seems like it might play a bit better with a gamepad.

I haven't played the xbox version, but the pc controls actually work quite well after you get used to them. Mind you, the default settings suck, but they're easy enough to change.

once you get used to the defaults, they're not too bad. You just have to turn the mouse down, otherwise you're camera spends most of its time jumping around like a chipmonk on crack.

I still want one of those things that usbs your ps2 controller.

Interesting to note that the funcom webstore is run from germany and they have been selling the game since 26th of april

Only if by "selling" you mean "taking orders for and then stalling until about a week ago when they finally started shipping the game."

Did anyone else notice that the hard drive space is HUGE for the amount of actual game you end up with?

A combination of poor compression and a lot of unique content that only shows up once.

A combination of poor compression and a lot of unique content that only shows up once.

Actually... the archives are the "cooked" files used for seek-free loading which is required for better loading speeds on consoles. Because of this re-used content is included in every archive (scene) instead of just once. I think that the game would be at least half te size if they didn't use the cooked files for the PC.

Actually... the archives are the "cooked" files used for seek-free loading which is required for better loading speeds on consoles. Because of this re-used content is included in every archive (scene) instead of just once. I think that the game would be at least half te size if they didn't use the cooked files for the PC.

I could pretend I knew that and that's what I meant by "poor compression", but I'll suppress that urge for now.