toblix

Lost in Blue

So I'm playing Lost in Blue on my DS, and I'm thinking, is there some special Japanese school of game design where the level of frustration and torment the player has to experience at a given time is ruled by some complex mathematical function that makes no sense?

I mean, this game could be wonderful if it had that increasing feeling of control and that sweet, sweet reward of having repetitive tasks be automated for you as you progress, leaving you free to pursue more complex activites and concentrate on bigger problems, but instead the game is strangely hard at first as you struggle to find food, shelter and primitive tools, then it becomes easier as you learn the lay of the land and know where to find the stuff you need, and then it gets very much harder as you have to move further and further away from a home that exhibits minimal increase in autonomy as you progress.

If complex crate shoving puzzles aren't hard enough, you have to keep track of all sorts of physical parameters both of yourself and another person as you solve them. Should I push this wooden crate to the left, or shall I drop everything and run towards home because my friend is dying of thirst? Oh, and I have to pick some berries on the way or she'll starve. And not the pink berries, or she'll be poisoned! Oh shit, my fire maker's broken, we'll die of the cold! It's ridiculous!

You have to be one of those crazy Asians who can play the Super Mario theme on two guitars and a saxophone simultaneously to be able to finish this game.

Yeah, it's much, MUCH harder than Survival Kids for GBC. In fact, I think it's the only game where I've managed to die in the opening cutscene.

Yeah, it's much, MUCH harder than Survival Kids for GBC. In fact, I think it's the only game where I've managed to die in the opening cutscene.

HAhaha that's hilarious - tell me how excatly did that happen.....

HAhaha that's hilarious - tell me how excatly did that happen.....

It's easy, you die if you don't find food and shelter before your stats drop to zero...

And don't go thinking your stats begin at 100% either.

"I'm hungry...I'm hungry....I'm hungry....I'm hungry..."

*eats mushroom*

"I'm sick...I'm sick...I'm sick...I'm sick...I'm sick..."

YOU ARE DEAD

In fact, I think it's the only game where I've managed to die in the opening cutscene.

You mean you didn't do it in Out of this World too?

I'm really enjoying this, but I got cramps from playing it too much with my 6'3" frame hunched over the DSlite, blowing at the screen and fiddling with the building furniture shit. I'm wasting my life.

It's like an RTS crossed with Zelda.:tup::bomb::tup:

I bought this game while on vacation because I'd heard nothing but good things about it and promptly returned it when I got home

Jesus, the main characters of this eat more than I do in a given day and they spend it all on death's doorstep. Letting them perish is all for the best. :frusty: