Spaff

ScummVM DS - Sam and max video

I guess I missed this existing for a while, but it's what everyone always wanted: Scumm games on DS using the stylus as a mouse = genius. it seems to be a huge pain in the ass to get it working though, anyone here bothered or going to try it out?

Scumm VM DS:

http://www.drunkencoders.com/scummvm/

Maybe I should go update Mojo... I bet I still can ¬¬

That's quite possibly the only thing that has ever made me want a DS.

Lucasarts/ Nintendo: do it. Do a proper version. DoTT, too. Now.

That's quite possibly the only thing that has ever made me want a DS.

WHAT.

Yikes that's complicated.

I have ScummVM running on my PSP and it's great. So far i've only played Monkey1, but it runs perfectly (or at least, it does now that a newer version fixes the crash-when-swordfighting bug).

I'm hopefully going to be able to do that within a month. I just ordered the stuff I need, so I've just got to wait a few weeks for it to arrive. I can't wait. It really looks like he's improved the DS version of scummVM a lot.

That's cool. I didn't know that you could use GBA flash cards and still use DS features. Although all these multiple techniques do look like quite a pain in the arse...

How much extra equipment is necessary for this? I'd love to play Sam and Max on my lite while on the bus or something, but I don't want to have to worry about too much hassle.

Also: Dan, how could you not be interested in the DS? Even with all the gaming opportunities I have available to me when I'm at home, I'll often just end up sitting on the couch playing on the DS. It's easily my favorite of any current-gen tech, and has so much variety. You should really look into it, man.

It all depends on what version of firmware is on your DS. I luckily have an older version so I just need a PassMe (~$15), a GBA MP2 (~$20), a compact flash card writer (~$5), and a compact flash card. Since you have a DS Lite it's a bit more complicated, and I don't think there's been a lot of research done yet. Towards the end of this page is some info on a guy who has flashed his DS Lite.

Why aren't any of the classic adventures coming out on DS?! I mean, Broken Sword made it to the GBA, why can't others?! This proves it can be done - even if its a bit jerky.

But importantly - can you save in these games?

Jesus Christ, I have to go as far as shorting the damn thing? Hell with that, I'll get a cheap old pocket PC and run ScummVM on that.

scummvm is great, I have it running on my smartphone

playing a bit of Indy4 instead of those half-assed overpriced games they sell for phones.

Also: Dan, how could you not be interested in the DS? Even with all the gaming opportunities I have available to me when I'm at home, I'll often just end up sitting on the couch playing on the DS. It's easily my favorite of any current-gen tech, and has so much variety. You should really look into it, man.

Hmmm. Sonic Rush tempts me. But everything else I've seen looks... weak. Sorry. Different folks, different strokes, I guess...!

Jesus Christ, I have to go as far as shorting the damn thing? Hell with that, I'll get a cheap old pocket PC and run ScummVM on that.

You don't have to short it. Well, you do if you want to flash it, but you don't have to flash it. Flashing it allows you to play homebrew stuff without having to use a PassMe (a PassMe 2 in your case) every time you want to play homebrew stuff.

Oh, ok. And if I just wanted to run Scummvm, what would be required then? That link you put up was all about flashing the thing to run the games.

There are several different ways that you could do it. I don't really know the specifics or which is the best way to go as I haven't really investigated them thoroughly. You for sure need a PassMe2, and then it looks like you'll either need a M3 adapter or a GBA flash cart. Apparently, the GBA MP2 with a compact flash card doesn't work on the new firmware. I've heard that the M3 thing isn't the greatest, so your best bet is probably a GBA flash cart. This site appears to be a good source of info on them. Obviously, you'll also need someway or writing the games to the cart. I believe that it's possible to use a GBA to do this, but I'm not entirely certain. You could always get something like this that includes both a 256meg cart and a writer. That's about all I know. I've never actually done any of it myself, so you'll probably want to read around some more before deciding what to do.

Ok - I have had flashcart for my gba (EZadvance powerstar 256). It comes with a writer - which is a gbacart-slot with an usb-cable. And then there is a piece of software where you basically put stuff on the gba-cart. There are tons of uses - I used it mostly to play nes-games with a nes-emulator which of course is totally great. But you can also put movies (in shit quality) and music (in shit-quality) on it etc. The passme for the ds basically links (either by cable or wifi) the nintendo-ds slot with the gba-slot. So that the ds thinks it gets the data from the ds-slot (as nintendo has done some magic basically to fight piracy so that the gba-slot really can't use the touch-screen etc....). The shorting is convienient so that you don't have to use the passme every time. I haven't messed with my ds in this way and my flashcart just stopped working - so I can't really say if it is really difficult on the ds....

I've been tempted to get a flash cartridge for the same NES-playing purposes, but have always wondered about the quality. Now I have to wonder more. :waluigi:

Well it worked really good, for half a year - and then for some odd reason it suddenly crashed... So I guess I could just have it replaced from the dealer - but it was imported from US so I didn't really take the time... they are not cheap, about the price of two games - but if they didn't stop worling it would be totally worth it...

Yeah, I think going the rout of compact flash and a GBA MP2 is actually cheaper. I got a 1 gig compact flash card for about $20, which is a heck of a lot better than you could do on a GBA flash cart. The one I got has a life-time warrenty on it too, so even if it does crash I'd have no trouble getting a new one.

Could something like this not be used for scummvm and other homebrew instead of a Pass Me?

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=17&i=8997&s=8

Not sure if it has been released yet and don't know if it is compatible with the DS Lite (I am assuming it would have to be).

Edit: Just found a review... http://maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=7135

Could something like this not be used for scummvm and other homebrew instead of a Pass Me?

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=17&i=8997&s=8

Not sure if it has been released yet and don't know if it is compatible with the DS Lite (I am assuming it would have to be).

Edit: Just found a review... http://maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=7135

Wow, that looks great. The review isn't positive though...hopefully they'll work out the kinks on it. A 4 gig hard drive and scumvm would rock.

Yeah, when I looked over the product page I became pretty damn excited. Finally an easy way to handle new media on the DS!

The review broke my heart though. Figures it has to be some shady shit, instead of them actually delivering a decent product. Maybe it'll be functional in a few years or perhaps another company will present something that does what this offers.