miffy495

New Super Mario Bros.

I'm in the final world now on New Super Mario Brothers and can happily say, all my insecurities about the controls have disappeared. The whole Mario having more weight thing finally makes sense and even the wall jumping feels almost natural now.

There's just so many great ideas and stages I am looking forward to playing over and over again for their incredible level design.

I'm as happy as can be and in total harmony with myself and the world around me (Mushroom Kingdom, apparently).

Yeah, it's a good game. I enjoyed it thoroughly, although I've lost interest in digging up all the secrets by now. There's just not the same motivation to hunt everything down that there was for games like Super Mario World. I'm actually thinking about getting Super Princess Peach now, as despite the stereotypical sounding emotion-based powers, it seems to do much more in terms of innovation and risk-taking than New SMB. The complaints that I heard about it were that it was a bit too easy and that the emotion stuff wasn't really opinionated in a way that is different from me. I can accept both of those provided the gameplay is decent, so I may give it a shot.

I've been thinking of getting that too. Videos looked nice.

i thought it looked too pretty.

mario was better with the simpler, 2d graphics.

in the previews, it looked too much like they were trying to fit next-gen-handheld graphics into a classic style of gameplay and frankly i thought it was too ugly to buy

I spent almost all of my money while I was in England.

Hopefully I'll get my paycheck for my summerjob when 30th June comes.

I can't wait to play this game, all the videos and screenshots look so sweet. :tup:

i thought it looked too pretty.

mario was better with the simpler, 2d graphics.

in the previews, it looked too much like they were trying to fit next-gen-handheld graphics into a classic style of gameplay and frankly i thought it was too ugly to buy

Totally disagree. It looks beautiful.

I just got New SMB today and frankly it's a slight disapointment. I still really like it and I've had some fun with it, but it's not as good as I was hoping. There are mainly two things that I feel take away from the game: the gravity based Mario feels pretty bad in combination with the dashing and the saving is too limited for a portable game.

I really like the walljumping and the new power-ups, but it could have been better in my opinion, if they had only tweaked it a bit more. I wish you could have dashing on the shoulder buttons instead too.

I've really developed a taste for the weighted Mario. I've come to like it quite a bit. Oh well, decided to grab Super Princess Peach now to try and get something a bit different as well, so I'll report back later on how that worked out.

EDIT: So, I've cleared the first world (out of 8) of SPP and am having fun with it. It's more Yoshi's Island kind of difficulty (read: none) but luckily keeps the atmosphere nice and light and if you can ignore the slightly sexist undertones of the "emotional powers" they do add a nice element to the gameplay. And hell, in the opening cutscene, Bowser gets hit by the emotional wand thing too, so it's not JUST Peach that has these powers. I don't know about going full price on it, as it's supposed to be really damn short (though strangely, people were saying it was way too short at about "6-8 hours" which is more time than New SMB took me) and doesn't pose much challenge, but it's good fun so far. If you can find it used and don't mind the cashier looking at you funny, I recommend it.

Oh, also: I don't really have a problem with Petey Piranha, but does he have to be a boss in EVERY new game in the Mario Universe? You even fight him the same way as in Sunshine, only this time instead of using FLUDD, you just cry really hard.

I've really developed a taste for the weighted Mario. I've come to like it quite a bit. Oh well, decided to grab Super Princess Peach now to try and get something a bit different as well, so I'll report back later on how that worked out.

You, sir. Are a very brave man indeed. :yep:

Well, with the pace of the course I'm currently taking, I needed something silly and easy to take a break from the endless tidal waves of Japanese homework. Peach seemed appropriate. Although yeah, very weird looks from the other people in the EB. On the other hand, I got to download the Tetris demo to my Lite and try it out, which gathered a small crowd of people going "ooooooh... a lite..." which was enjoyable. Then I bought Peach and instantly lost their respect.

Oh yeah, Tetris demo = :tup:. I was almost sad to turn off the DS to pop in Peach.

EDIT: Peach Update #2: Just finished World 3. Kinda addictive, although still not challenging. I like that there's a new breed of Boos that are too pissed off from Bowser's emotion-tampering to be scared of you. Thus, if you run into a Boo with crazy eyes, it'll go after you whether you're looking at it or not. The various emotional kinds of enemies (Pissed off koopas and sad goombas are my favorite, though the blissed out piranha plants are kinda cool too) keep things fresh and add some new dimensions to the Mario series. Easy as all hell and kinda girly or not, I'm quickly being won over by this game. Plus there's a little glossary for every enemy that you've encountered, which is a nice touch. You can go through and browse 7 pages of enemies and read some single-scentence blurbs about them.

There is one problem so far though. When you get to a boss for the first time, you're forced to play a stupid little touch screen minigame, which is different for each boss. These mini-games are HORRIBLE. Lame, don't control well, and somehow always seem like a badly made attempt at the balloon trip part of Yoshi's Touch & Go. Just terrible. Luckily, once you've cleared them once you're given the option to skip them on subsequent run-throughs, so it's only a minor blemish on the game.

I thought Super Princess Peach was really cool, actually. Sure, it's pretty easy, but it's a pleasant romp through pretty looking pixel art worlds, which I haven't seen in a long, long time. And it's got the Amazing Flying Hammer Bros.. Besides, finishing the game fully takes a bit longer than you might think! I really need to go back to it and finish it off. Also, I love hearing Peach's gleeful "WHEEEEE!" as she glides through the air. Hilarious.

My copy of New Mario Bros arrived from Canada as well and I'm enjoying it. Although it's really fun and I'm having a blast finding secret passages that instantly teleport me three worlds further, what scares me is how FAST you get used to it. For weeks (months) I was really looking forward to playing a Mario and stomping on baddies, but it took about half a minute before I was used to it again and I was; oh yeah, this is just Mario again. It's still great fun, but it's frightening how fast -through the sheer comfortzone of the game- you take it for granted.

I've unlocked the last world with the cannon, but I'm still playing World 6 in order. I'm also trying desperately to get World 7, but avoiding Petey Piranha as Tiny Mario is really hard! Not to mention it's really difficult to get hold of a Mini Mushroom in the first place!

I'm still addicted though. I probably won't get Super Princess Peach, but I'm looking forward to both Yoshi's Island 2 and Super Paper Mario.

I'm also trying desperately to get World 7, but avoiding Petey Piranha as Tiny Mario is really hard! Not to mention it's really difficult to get hold of a Mini Mushroom in the first place!

There's an easier way..

Go to World 4's ghost house and find the hidden exit. I remember it not being so hard to find.

And I'm loving this game. I'm pleasantly surprised in almost every level. Nearly every level has a little homage to almost every iteration of Super Mario, or something entirely new. Mario controls better than ever, IMO.

About saving, you can either just put the DS in sleep mode (closing the lid) or just go to the nearest Star Coin gate (if you have the right amount of Star Coins, of course.) I think it's a nice system.

The Mega Mushroom is useful for getting some easy 1-ups. Although, if you're used to playing the Super Mario games, 1-ups are pretty easy to get.

The only new thing I think is pretty useless is the double and triple jump.

Saving was instantly made better the second I beat Bowser. After that, welcome to save-anywhere town. It is a happy place, one where the children are free to play for however long they like, and just put it on hold when they need to, rather than when circumstances force them to.

Totally disagree. It looks beautiful.

Hmmm. Thanks for the footage. I'm not sure what to think. It looks nicer and less jarring than I had expected, and the levels are pretty inventive, but I still don't like the updated graphics. Just something about them...

I'd stick with Warioland for GBA. That was a fun game.

I just got an exciting e-mail!

Your order for New Super Mario Brothers has been posted.

Please note PLAY MAIL ORDER will show on your statement.

Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

:clap::woohoo::tup::pwned::wtf:

I just mine today! I only played a little and I'll probably be too busy to play until tomorrow... But it's awesome so far! :grin:

Apparently someone's found a code to get some sort of Challenge Mode. Nothing too fancy, just means that you can't go backwards in most levels. But hey, hooray for more classic gameplay.

Holy crap!

NSMB arrived to my mailbox today! I've been playing it all day, I couldn't even do much work today because the game is so damn good. :)

Wow, the game is so much better than I expected. :woohoo:

I was dreaming of a polished, "old-school" Mario with few new features, but expecting something similar to modern platformers like Mario 64 with lots of 3D camera moves or minigames I usually don't appreciate.

Haven't had fun with a platformer for a decade ! I'm smiling all the time playing it (it hurts) :D

Oh, and it says "Bye bye" and "It's a-me, Mario !" when you enter and leave sleep mode. :clap:

Haven't had fun with a platformer for a decade !

Hey now, be fair. Did you ever play Sonic Rush?

Hey now, be fair. Did you ever play Sonic Rush?

Sonics rush sucks :( I tried playing it again last night and I just don't like the idea of starting over in zone 1 after making a tiny mistake in zone 3 :frusty:

SMB on the other hand doesn't punish me in that way.

Hey now, be fair, Did you ever play Sonic Rush?

I am being fair with myself.

I'm not saying no good platformer has come out these last ten years. It would not only be wrong but also dishonest for me to say that because it's a genre I wasn't interested in anymore.

I was exclusively playing on the PC until the DS and I never plugged a joypad on it. The fun that comes from achieving the moves turns into frustration with a keyboard, especially when you're left-handed.

Last thing I tried close to a platformer was Tomb Raider Legend : :tdown:

About Sonic Rush DS which I recently learned about here (thanks to you IIRC), I will wait for the re-release of Sonic the Hedgegog on DS instead (which is great news I first read about in Idle forums too !). ;)