miffy495

New Super Mario Bros.

Just got it myself. Not bad, I like some of the new items. Wearable Koopa shell in particular. Anybody else playing it? Thoughts?

Yeah, I just picked it up today using a rebate that I got when I bought my DS this past Christmas. I haven't played a ton so far, but it seems pretty good. I'm a bit confused on how the saving works. Is it possible to save whenever you want? While it's fun, I don't enjoy Mario nearly as much as Wario Land 2 & 3. Those games kick ass, and yet they sadly won't run on my DS. :( I did just order a GBA MP2 though, so pretty soon now I'll be able to play them again along with Monkey Island! Woohoo! I can't wait.

Hmmm... I never played any of the Wario Lands, despite how good I've heard they are. I just beat the tower halfway through world 5 now, and the only thing I really feel is amiss is the ability to fly. With SMW's cape and SMB3's tail, it felt like flying items had become a full part of the series. I can understand the whole "get back to Mario's roots" thing, what with the flags at the end of levels and stuff. Hell, I really like that. I just miss flying, dammit. Being able to go into a turtle shell and wreak havok is cool, and I like the addition, but it just ain't the same.

Yeah, I wish you could fly too. I just got to the second world. I got all of the coins in the first world save the middle one in the level after the middle tower (1-4, I think). It's the one that you see directly above you when you go down a tunnel. I can figure out how to get up there. Can anyone give me a hint? Also, Miffy, is it only possible to save at the half-way world point, after you finish a world, or when you pay five coins to unlock something?

You've got to play to play Wario Land 2 & 3. The first Wario Land is fun, but nothing special. It's basically a Mario game except with Wario. The second and third games are amazing and completely different. You can't die. It's a lot more puzzle based usually involving Wario changing into a bunch of really weird things. You should definitely check them out. I haven't played the fourth one, but I hear that it's not very good.

Technically you can fly. Those cloud-riding guys that throw the spikey-shells can be piloted around as usual. But yeah, I miss the cape, and no Yoshi feels a little weird, if only because the last side-scrolling Mario had him.

No saving beyond those three instances, Moos.

You can't save except for those situations, however you can always put the DS into sleep mode if you need to stop for a while. Works fine.

I'm enjoying the game too, but the gameplay feels sort of like the Super Mario Bros. 2 that should have been -- like an extended original SMB, but without the depth of the later third sequel. Which is too bad as the third is the greatest platformer ever. Haven't even noticed (yet) anything completely random and cool and fun like the SMB3 Shoe guy. It all just feels par for the course.

The music is sort of weak too.

yeah, the music is nothing special, but I love that the goombas and koopas will dance to it.

Moos, when you're down that tunnel, don't grab any of the coins. Before you go into the pipe at the other end, there's a Blue P-block hidden in the solid block closest to the exit pipe. Hit it, and the coins will form a staircase straight to that coin for you. Hope I've helped and you haven't got that one on your own already.

EDIT: Whups, forgot the spoiler tags on the hint for Moos.

Thanks, miffy, that worked great. I can't believe I didn't notice that the coins were leading up there. I have one other question, is there a secret exit to the big canon in the first world? What's up with that thing?

Yeah, the dancing to the music is awesome. Just had to smile when I first noticed it.

Would you say it's worth importing? It doesn't come out here in a month and a half, so I'm just curious if it's so good I'll want to hurt myself for not getting it earlier, when it hits the shelves here?

Anyone know when the Lites and Mario Bros come out in the UK?

As for flying, I'm actually kind of relieved to hear that! I never really enjoyed doing it in SMW, SMB3 or M64, mostly because I feel a bit out of control while doing so. I don't know, I just didn't like it much.

Anyone know when the Lites and Mario Bros come out in the UK?

As for flying, I'm actually kind of relieved to hear that! I never really enjoyed doing it in SMW, SMB3 or M64, mostly because I feel a bit out of control while doing so. I don't know, I just didn't like it much.

Super Mario Bros. comes out June 30th in Sweden, so that's most likely the UK date as well. Lite is set for "June", so possibly at the same time?

Thanks, miffy, that worked great. I can't believe I didn't notice that the coins were leading up there. I have one other question, is there a secret exit to the big canon in the first world? What's up with that thing?

The cannon is accessed in the first Tower.

You've probably already got the coin from that room with no floor and just a bunch or blocks shifting back and forth, but if you look at the right side of that room, there's one space near the top of the wall that never gets smaller than Super Mario can fit through. If you walk into that as Shell Mario, you'll come into a room that has a few blocks on the floor blocking your movement. Go into shell form and spin through the blocks and you'll make your way through to an alternate exit, grab the flag and the path to the cannon opens.

Kinda tricky, but if you want that warp to World 5, you've gotta work for it.

I've almost finished my run through the main game, although I still need to get to World 7 (I believe it involves beating Petey Piranha as Mini Mario, like you had to do with the boss of World 2 to get to World 4) but I've only got 3 levels and the final castle left in World 8, so I'm pretty near the end. I probably won't have much more gaming time today, but by tomorrow night I should have seen the credits at least once. Then the quest to find all the coins and secret paths begins...

EDIT: Dammit, I keep on forgetting those spoiler tags.

Saw the credits, which means I beat the game. Already. Now I just have to go back and try to find a way to some of those pipes and cannons and things that I can't get to. Also need to get into World 7.

Game's alright, but that Mega Mushroom is practically useless.

Game's alright, but that Mega Mushroom is practically useless.

How so? I use it all the time. You have to save it for certain open levels, or boss fights. In the open levels, it can get you a ton of 1-ups, and it basically wins you the boss fights instantly.

Alright, even though nobody answered my question of whether it was worth importing, I went ahead and did just that. YesAsia really won me over with how fast they were at getting me Ouendan. Ordered on the the 9th, shipped on the 12th and I received it today, on the 18th. For $35 that's great value, and seeing as how the processing time on Super Mario Bros. seems to be lower, it should be here real soon.

I haven't used it for anything but novelty yet...:erm:

I used it to beat bowser (in world 1 boss form) in one hit, and then I felt guilty for it.

The game is surprisingly easy, and each individual world is a bit short, which is disappointing. I'm still having a really great time with the game, but I was hoping we'd see some touches of later Mario 1 levels, or basically any Mario 3 level in terms of length and complexity.

Yeah, even a throwback level on an airship would be awesome. And you kind of proved my point with the using of the mega mushroom to beat Bowser. You could go the classic route and hit the switch, or even just hurl a bunch of fireballs at him. The mushroom is totally unnecessary.

Ok, it has to be really obvious and I'm just missing it but how do you store the mega and mini mushrooms? Whenever I pick them up, they are used instantly.

And I agree with everyone else, it's a pretty awesome game. If this is a sequel to Mario Bros 1 and 3, I'd like them to do the same thing Mario Bros 2.

The mega mushrooms are stored by going into one of the houses shaped like a mega mushroom. It'll give you a mega that simply goes straight into your storage place. Tap and activate whenever you want. As for the minis, I have yet to be able to store one and I'm not sure if it's possible or not. I did manage to stay mini in world five long enough to beat Petey Piranha and unlock world 7 though, so I can't really see why else I'd really need one aside from finding a few more coins.

EDIT: Hmmm... on closer examination, it looks like they can be swiped from one of those regular item houses, the ones that look like a regular mushroom. It's one of the options that the box will toss out, although it's more to chance there. The mega houses will ALWAYS give you a mega mushroom. The regular houses, not so much.

Got my copy yesterday, and am since then wondering: why do I have to press towards the wall when doing walljumps? In every game I remember you had to press away from the wall to do so. Is there a way to change this?

Also, Mario seems to react a bit slow, especially when changing directions. Could be only me though, or just the fact that I hadn't played a sidescrolling Mario game for years now.

Besides that, I'm loving it so far.

The slow reaction seems to be almost like they're taking a page from Prince of Persia. Mario seems to have weight now, and as such it takes him a while to go from a full out run in one direction to moving in another. Once I got used to it, I actually kinda liked it better to be able to move a bit more realistically.

Got my copy yesterday, and am since then wondering: why do I have to press towards the wall when doing walljumps? In every game I remember you had to press away from the wall to do so. Is there a way to change this?

You need to press into the wall a little so he will actually start sliding down it. It's the same in the 3D mario games as well. Pressing away from the wall makes him drop down instead of slide. Makes sense to me...

You've got to play to play Wario Land 2 & 3. The first Wario Land is fun, but nothing special. It's basically a Mario game except with Wario. The second and third games are amazing and completely different. You can't die. It's a lot more puzzle based usually involving Wario changing into a bunch of really weird things. You should definitely check them out. I haven't played the fourth one, but I hear that it's not very good.

Alright, so on your recommendation I eBayed Wario Land 3. Something like $20 (CAN) so it seemed like a decent deal. It arrived today and I've sunk a whole lot of time into it. Great, great game. I just put in an order for Wario Land 2, and (allowing for homework) should be finishing this game right about when it arrives. Damn this is fun, although the "not dying" is a double-edged sword. Sometimes all that it means is that my ass catches on fire and I need to run around waiting for it to go out so I can get on with the level.

...I gotta say, though I liked New SMB, Wario Land 3 is currently kicking it's ass.

excellent. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. It's going to be the first gb game that I get going on my ds next week after I get my GBAMP. I can't wait.