LOPcagney

Final Fantasy for the PC

Does this emulator thingie mean that soon I will be both not owning a PS2 and at the same time playing Ico and Wanda and the Mysterical Robots (or whatever it's called, the one with the big robots and the horse), and those big ball games with adhesive rolling action?

Any other PS2 games worth waiting to play on an emulator?

Does this emulator thingie mean that soon I will be both not owning a PS2 and at the same time playing Ico and Wanda and the Mysterical Robots (or whatever it's called, the one with the big robots and the horse), and those big ball games with adhesive rolling action?

Any other PS2 games worth waiting to play on an emulator?

Well, most games are still unplayable and it often crashes on cinematics etc. so it could take a while still. You'll also need the PS2 BIOS, which you would have to dump yourself or download illegally! Maybe it'll be worthwhile in a year or so.

You'll also need the PS2 BIOS, which you would have to dump yourself or download illegally!

Obviously, I'd purchase a PS2 console in order to dump its BIOS and play the games on my computer.

Obviously, I'd purchase a PS2 console in order to dump its BIOS and play the games on my computer.

Yes - I've also had a plan for many years to mount a computer inside a tv-case, and build a cardboard ps2 - beside it - then run only emulator on it- so it would look like I had a ps2 - just for the style you know....

so it would look like I had a ps2 - just for the style you know....

Yeah, the PS2 is beautiful. I think that with a cardboard PS2 you could have the pretty styles of it, and also a lighter weight. Why hasn't anyone thought of this?

Or you could get a SNES Emulator and play Earthbound instead.

Well, I'd get a NES emulator and play Earthbound Zero (Mother as it is called in japanese), if we're getting into that.

Or just get a GBA and wait for Mother 3. (Or Earthbound 2. Whatever they're calling it.) Either way, Earthbound is the first thing I'm getting on Virtual Console.

They're like Final Fantasy, except (from Earthbound/Mother 2 onwards) a) you can see the enemies, and B) they're utterly hilariously insane.

For example, the enemies you face include a New Age Retro Hippie, a Piece Of Abstract Art, L'il Flying Saucers and Killer Mushrooms (see below for what they do to you).

Characters are also similarly great. The Cat Who Swims In The Ground is a personal favourite, along with the iconic Mr. Saturns who have their own font.

Earthbound is probably the better of the two (haven't played 3 yet), mainly 'cause you can see the enemies. It's also becomes quite clever, as when your character becomes more powerful, lower enemies become afraid of him and run away! You can chase them!

Don't listen to him! There is little to no adhesion in Earthbound.

There's a mushroom that sticks to your character's head... and you have to visit a hospital to have it removed. If you leave it your controls get messed up.

There's a mushroom that sticks to your character's head... and you have to visit a hospital to have it removed. If you leave it your controls get messed up.

Yep, you're right. Me running my big mouth again...

"Earthbound Zero" is something very close to impossible, and even Earthbound starts pretty hairily until you've cleared the first couple of towns. It's the writing that makes it though, almost every line is genius. I've never been a Final Fantasy fan but Earthbound certainly has a beguiling charm.

It's also becomes quite clever, as when your character becomes more powerful, lower enemies become afraid of him and run away! You can chase them!

Quite why this hasn't been implemented in all RPG's is actually beyond me. And if you get the jump on them you get a free surprise attack. It's the little touches...

Okay - that's it ... What's so great with these mother games?

It's just the weirdest series of non-conventional JRPG ever produced.

A tale of children, fighting supernatural causes with their psychic power whilst cruising a vast pixilated world bathed in an atmospheric music.

Ok that's it. - I'm sold... Thx goes to the thumbs earthbound panel for their expert knowledge....

Considering you can find both games for free (indeed, unless you speak Japanese Earthbound Zero is ONLY available as a free ROM!), you don't have much to lose!

Damn good games. I'm learning Japanese right now (Just started a month ago, know Hiragana and most Katakana, and can carry on conversations capably, but not amazingly well) and when I feel competent enough that I'll be able to work out what's going on, I think I'll import Mother 3. That, or just pray to god that they decide to localize the bugger, which they probably never will. I just wish that my university would allow me to take the next level courses sometime other than starting in January. I'll be finished this course in a month and sitting around waiting for the next one for the better part of a year. Bastards.