Erkki

Catching up

I haven't played games much for some time now so I started catching up: got Desperados 2, upgraded PC and got Oblivion. Then I remembered I had stopped playing FEAR due to a fucked up patch and the PC being slow, so now I'm playing all three. Mostly Oblivion.

Today I also got me a PS2 again with Shadow of the Colossus and God of War. Both have been amazing so far, but God of War seems to get a lot harder suddenly when I reached Athens. Before that I didn't die once from enemy attacks, only from falling a couple of times.

The horse (Argo was it?) in Shadow of Colossus is pretty cool. Those wooden ones in Oblivion are nothing compared to Argo. Well, The Elder Scrolls games always did feel kind of Don Quijote-ish.

So far Oblivion is the one that has kept me up for a couple of nights. I haven't done a lot of quests yet, but that part of it seems promising

currently breaking the siege in whatever that town was. The one where you're supposed to look for the heir.

, but there seems to be some lack of depth compared to Morrowind (I think this was also discussed in the Thumbs review and/or that long Oblivion thread). If the quests make up for it, I don't mind though. Seems to become more similar to Gothic, which I think is good.

Damn, that's a lot of games to play at once. Pick a game and finish it. :)

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. I'll probably play Oblivion mostly, then switch to something else for a while, and occasionally take down a colossus or two.

I have to say, F.E.A.R. is fucking scary. I've never been so frightened to walk down a corridor in a game. There are times when I'm almost jumping at the sight of my own shadow.

Yeah, catching up on missed games is fucking great. I take it from your statement that this is your second PS2, did you ever play Katamari on the first one? It was an obsession around here for a long time for quite good reason. Also, Gitaroo Man if you can find it. I dug up a game that I'd never heard of called Mr. Mosquito and I'm enjoying that as well. The PS2 is by far the best console to catch up on, so happy playing.

I've been catching up on SNES stuff personally, I've never played any of those old-timey consoles before relatively recently. Link to the Past is quite a mind-blowingly good game, to name but one.

I've got my own backstash as everyone else, of course. Right now I'm enjoying myself with Skies of Arcadia Legends, the Gamecube remake of the Dreamcast game. It's awesome. The designs are terrific and it actually features GOOD dialogue (which is not at all common in especially JRPG's).

I guess buying tons of games and never finishing them all is part of what takes you above casual gaming or something. I'm currently playing Dreamfall and I've got Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the back burner, since I bought it used but haven't really played much. Of course I've got a couple of games left over that I'll probably never take the time to finish, so I'll leave those out of this.

Yeah, catching up on missed games is fucking great. I take it from your statement that this is your second PS2, did you ever play Katamari on the first one? It was an obsession around here for a long time for quite good reason. Also, Gitaroo Man if you can find it. I dug up a game that I'd never heard of called Mr. Mosquito and I'm enjoying that as well. The PS2 is by far the best console to catch up on, so happy playing.
I had the first one for a short while and then later borrowed one from a friend. The only games I played on it for more than a couple of hours on it were ICO, GTA San Andreas and Way of the Samurai. So I actually have a LOT of catching up to do there :) I haven't seen Katamari in local stores though.

I guess buying tons of games and never finishing them all is part of what takes you above casual gaming or something. I'm currently playing Dreamfall and I've got Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on the back burner, since I bought it used but haven't really played much. Of course I've got a couple of games left over that I'll probably never take the time to finish, so I'll leave those out of this.

Twin Snakes was fucking great. Although it may be that that was the first Metal Gear Solid game that I played (not the first Metal Gear though. I started with Ac!d) so the whole atmosphere was new to me. I still have to finish Snake Eater, now that I think about it. I'd just gotten to the final Boss fight (capitalized intentionally. Those who've played understand.) and then got sucked into Phoenix Wright. (finished it two days ago! great ending) Other games I may never finish but enjoy: God of War, Kingdom Hearts, Ninja Gaiden Black. Oh well...

I'm sad that I never got to really play Twin Snakes before I sold the Gamecube (yeah yeah, I know.. still, I bet the Wii's backward compatibility is better than the 360..), but what I saw of it while my son was playing disappointed me in some ways. Mainly it was the change in the voice acting, I think - the loss of accents bothered me.

I don't have much of a stack to catch up on right now because I've been curtailing my game purchases, but I plan on running through some 8- and 16-bit titles before selling our old consoles off (moving). In particular, I never actually finished Super Mario Bros :o

I'm sad that I never got to really play Twin Snakes before I sold the Gamecube...
I read this as Twin Peaks and took a double take. This world needs more David Lynch-inspired video games.

EDIT: I guess the first Dune game qualifies somewhat, no? That was a good game. I want an Eraserhead RTS Adventure.

Granted, but Gurney Halleck looked like Patrick Stewart and Paul looked like Kyle MacLachlan and Lady Jessica looked like Francesca Annis, etc. The art directions were fairly uniform and so on. The handling of the story wasn't as trippy, but it was good all the same.

If I remember correctly, David Lynch was going to do a computer game in the midst of the late 90s "interactive multimedia" trend. It never got completed because it would have been too boring a game, apparently.

If I remember correctly, David Lynch was going to do a computer game in the midst of the late 90s "interactive multimedia" trend. It never got completed because it would have been too boring a game, apparently.

lol