Marek

Microsoft: hey why not buy a Wii?

Here's what Peter Moore told Reuters (as quoted in the Washington Post):

"Tell me why you would buy a $600 PS3? People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid."

Funny how positions have changed from the previous generation. The forum pundits even refer to this combo as the "wii60", pitting it against the PS3 as if it were a single console.

I have to agree completely with Mr Moore in this case. IF I'm ever going to buy a console next to my wii it won't be a ps3. NOt for the current pricetag.

Pity Ninty and Sony aren't teaming up. I would have fancied the ability to use a Wii controller as drumsticks to complement Guitar Hero.

Harmonix are a third party aren't they?

They'll likely go with the larger installed userbase......

(besides they MUST be checking Wii out.... I mean..... how could they not??)

I find the Japan quote at the end of that article pretty interesting too:

"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'

Impressively honest to admit what really might be true - that they simply have no idea what Japanese gamers want. And if they are meant to be turning profitable next year, they can't afford to just keep throwing money at the problem.

Honestly, I was somewhat disgusted by both Sony and Microsoft's console offerings until this e3, where I've realized that Microsoft is kinda neat and quaint and Sony is kinda doomed. Man, look at the three press conferences for a very stark illustration of each respective corporate culture. Microsoft is full of somewhat dull computer geeks who think they can take over the world, Nintendo is full of gleeful artistic stoners, and Sony is a soulless, statistic-spewing, flowchart-loving corporate monstrosity in which creativity might as well be severely stifled.

I wonder if anything can happen between now and then that will turn the tables.

Typical poor little Microsoft. They are doing the same in the Internet space, villifying the market leader Google and even trying to team up with the third giant Yahoo! by making their MSN messenger communicate solely with Yahoo's to fight the big bad wolf. Once the market leader is out of the picture, they will strike hard. Wooohoooo monopoly. There's only gaming that is not owned by Microsoft yet :finger:

Or I could buy two or three Wiis for the price of one Xbox 360, and give them to my friends as presents.

I predict a total collapse the day the ps3 and the wii are finally out. People won't make up their minds on what they should pay for (too cheap, too expensive, too crappy, etc. etc.) and will spend the next 5 years (a whole "generation") debating which one to get. :erm:

I gotta admit, while before this week I was thinking of getting a WiiS3, now I've definitely gravitated towards the Wii60. Or just a Wii. Or just use the Wii up until a few months before the Xbox 720 and PS4 are out and then get the older, end-of-the-life-cycle consoles.

I gotta admit, while before this week I was thinking of getting a WiiS3, now I've definitely gravitated towards the Wii60. Or just a Wii.

The way I see it, Nintendo will have Nintendo games and Nintendo games will be worth the price of entry. As for the other two consoles, it really seems totally 50:50 now as to which will become the publishers' preferred system. I bought a Gamecube this gen around and got to see how depressing it is when everyone abandons a platform, so I'd rather wait and see which one ends up on top before putting down the much bigger amount of money. I still got my money's worth from my Gamecube, but if I dropped $600 on a PS3 and then it flopped, I'd be pretty gutted.

You know what, I think that despite the huge technological and ludical (does that word even exist?)letdown that is the PS3, the console will be a huge success and Nintendo, while still having the most profitable console on the market, won't conquer the market it once dominated.

Why?

Because, PS3 is mainly targetting the bottomless pool of teenagers/young adults eager to be cool, you know , the ones gullible enough to buy the crap the Sony marketing machine produces everyday. I know that once, I did and lots of my pals too.

On the other hand, Nintendo is adressing what used to be the mainstream market and is now a niche : the executives say " Look, our console is actually FUN, you might be a little ridiculous at times but hey, there's no way you're going to find something as fun as this"... and that's fine, but most customers are receptive to this" Eyh, guy, our console is cool and it will make you look cool".

And that is the main line of Sony; it has successfully been that way for a while(since the PS2) and their products gained momentum from that whereas Nintendo have to fought to be in the heart in gamers

Don't get me wrong, I'd to see gamers prove me wrong, but I think we're doomed to see this gen dominated by Sony.

Don't get me wrong, I'd to see gamers prove me wrong, but I think we're doomed to see this gen dominated by Sony.
You're so wrong. You're so very wrong. I venture to postulate vehemently that based on nothing else than this cool factor you speak of, Wii has the upper hand this time around.

I will have a Wii for the interface alone, and the awesome games that will undoubtedly follow.

I may be forced to buy a PS3 if Metal Gear Solid 4 and Assassin's Creed are both exclusives. I just won't be able to pass them up.

I'm not sure why I would want a 360. I don't like Halo.

Personally I am now much more impressed bu the 360. Until a couple of days ago I hated it and couldn't see why I would ever want want, but after seeing some of the games and the way they work online, I'm a bit more impressed.

The thing is, I'm not sure if there'll be enough of these games to warrent me buying the console.

Like a lot of people I will definately be getting a wii. There's no doubt about it, the system just looks incredible to me.

As for the PS3... I thought this was going to be the strongest of the generation by a long way. Now I don't see it quite the same.

There'll definately be some awesome games that I'll be desperate to play, but like the 360 I don't know if there'll be enough to make me fork out for one. Especially with a price like that.

Currently I'm with miffy on using a wii until the price tags fall way, way down.

Because, PS3 is mainly targetting the bottomless pool of teenagers/young adults eager to be cool, you know , the ones gullible enough to buy the crap the Sony marketing machine produces everyday.

So if I actually liked the PS2 with all its exclusive Ratchet and Clanks, Jaks, ICO's, Shadows of the Collusi, Katamaris, Slys, Gods of War, Metal Gears, Dragon Quests, Guitar Heros, plus all the other great third party support, does that make me a teenager eager to be cool?

Talking about appealing to the teenager crowd, how about the Tattoo weilding Moore, or the leather jacket wearing J Allard who enjoys middle stage crouches. Or maybe that MTV unveiling.

SoccerDude28, don't play dumb : what I meant is that teenagers eager to be cool are Sony's primary target and that it indeed represents a big part of their consumers (or at least that's what I think) ... that doesn't make you one.

I'd buy the Playstation 4, if it were to have time-travelling functionality.

Talking about appealing to the teenager crowd, how about the Tattoo weilding Moore, or the leather jacket wearing J Allard who enjoys middle stage crouches. Or maybe that MTV unveiling.

J Allard is a total tool. Moore, on the other hand, I've actually grown to like after watching more interviews with him. I disagree about the tattoo thing...I saw it as a commitment to the release date of Halo 2--not as a "hey look kids, I'm DOWN, yo!" Just him showing how serious they were (of course in hindsight, I would have rather they actually FINISHED the game).

Reggie is the best, though, despite his corniness--no wait, because of his corniness.

I actually don't think Reggie is corny. What's corny about him? I'm not asking this in his defence or anything, I just don't see anything of the sort on him.

I'd be very surprised if as many people buy the PS3 as past PS's. When I was a Wii wee one, I know I never could have convinced my parents to get me an NES, Genesis etc. if they had cost $600. A lot of kids are going to be dependent on their parents to get ahold of one, and I think it'll be a tough sell. But like Sony said, "the PS3 isn't a gaming console, it's a status symbol."

You're so wrong. You're so very wrong. I venture to postulate vehemently that based on nothing else than this cool factor you speak of, Wii has the upper hand this time around.

Yeah, and Wii will get you lots of chicks!