Sign in to follow this  
hermes

Loom

Sharans we call them.

:yep:

Sharans? Funny, 'cause sharan means carp in Serbian - as in the edible freshwater fish.

... I hate 2001 - A Space Odyssey, anyway.

I keep trying to really watch that movie, but I never get past the first half hour. It's a remarkably boring movie.

I keep trying to really watch that movie, but I never get past the first half hour. It's a remarkably boring movie.
That is why it is so amazing. Do you think that Stanley messed something up and came up with a boring movie? No, he set out to make a boring movie. Instead of screaming I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!, how about taking the slow action as an integral part of the experience?

That is why it is so amazing. Do you think that Stanley messed something up and came up with a boring movie? No, he set out to make a boring movie. Instead of screaming I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION, PIGDOGS!!!, how about taking the slow action as an integral part of the experience?

Are you kidding?! Just because he wanted it to be boring, doesn't mean that it's going to be any better or worse than watching another boring movie!!!

It wasn't even the boredom that got me, it was the lack of characterization or any character that I could empathise with. Which of course, was part of the aim of the movie, too. But again, that doesn't mean that it wasn't there.

Jeez. If I wanted to sit down and waste a couple hours of my life watching a boring, slow, characterless movie, I'd rent out The Cube.

"Pigdog"?

Anyway, I don't know if it's possible to go further off topic, so let's find out! 2001 was a clever and well made movie, but the one thing it lacked (for me) was personality. All the people in it are like robots, it left me cold.

I still get goosebumps when I watch the first bit though.... duh.... duh.... dun-duhhhhhh!!!

Great stuff.

Kind of like if I look at a picture of a Clown for about two hours before I sleep, I will probably think of the clown and be too afraid to sleep on account of the image of the clown in my head, and that I would probably dream of it if I closed my eyes.

2001 was a clever and well made movie, but the one thing it lacked (for me) was personality. All the people in it are like robots, it left me cold.
Erm that was kind of the point though?

It was a rhetorical question so you're supposed to say "yes".

(The soberness of the characters was done intentionally to contrast with the extremeness of them being in space. The whole overarching theme of the movie is that while man uses more and more tools (with space faring taking it to ridiculous extremes) mankind also becomes more and more detached. That's a perfectly valid reason for making the characters so cold, even though you may disagree with it. For the record, I do know what you mean about it making the movie a bit less enjoyable.)

Anyway, we were talking about Loom.

I think you're not supposed to answer a rhetorical question. Rather nod politely and come with some witty remark about the weather... sort of...

I think you're not supposed to answer a rhetorical question. Rather nod politely and come with some witty remark about the weather... sort of...

You mean like: Beautiful weather we're having to-day... too bad the global warming will destroy the world as we know it in the next 50 years, so much so that the western free-market democracies will completely crumble and be replaced by one massive communist technocracy... Well, have a nice day!

Kind of like if I look at a picture of a Clown for about two hours before I sleep, I will probably think of the clown and be too afraid to sleep on account of the image of the clown in my head, and that I would probably dream of it if I closed my eyes.

So you wouldn't watch Stephen King's 'IT' with me before we're going to bed?

it.jpg

--Erwin

the only other two-solution puzzle I can remember from that time period was the Orat part in the first Space Quest. the origins of non-linear gaming?

Zork had different ways to solve puzzles - one that I sort of recall off the top of my head out is the Loud Room puzzle, where you could type ECHO (changed room acoustics), or wait until after you'd emptied the dam (no more noise from the water rushing nearby) to progress beyond it.

Still, maybe infocom text adventures are prior to the time period you're referring to? ;)