Ben

Nintendo's E3 Conference Thread

That was pretty good, all the people I watched it with agreed. A lot of what Iwata-san spoke about was not simply marketing pap (as often is with these types of presentations). A while Reggie occassionally drifted into that kind of talk, what he said about the whole experiencing the controller and gaming experience on their machine, rather than simply seeing or being told about it, is most definitely true and spot on in my experience.

I would have liked to see more third-party titles, and it would have been nice to have a confirmed launch date, but oh well - we can't have it all now. Oh and Ouenden getting a western release = :tup:

Finally, thanks to Oath for the text updates. Nice job.

No problem, hope it was up to standard. I've never tried doing that before, so it came out a little rough, but I think I've fixed all the spelling and grammatical errors now.

I think, from a gamers standpoint, this was an excellent conference. Lots of games shown, almost no numbers or lame marketing attempts made and some fun appearances by Miyamoto. I know I really enjoyed it!

Edit: Hold on, just spotted this on the official site:

photoclassic5bp.jpg

From here. Higher resolution here.

Rumour told of a regular pad to go along with the Wiimote, guess here's the proof. Certainly solves the problem of how you're supposed to play SNES and N64 games on it though, not to mention Mega Drive and Turbografx.

Just realised this will probably entail shelling out for two pads. Dammit.

I don't know if this has been covered, but any chance the two controllers making up the Wii symbol in the flash movie is evidence of the rumour of two controllers coming with the machine? Just a suggestion.

It looks like a Super Nintendo controller with analog sticks.

Hehe, damn you guys are fast - i was just newsing that.

I don't know if this has been covered, but any chance the two controllers making up the Wii symbol in the flash movie is evidence of the rumour of two controllers coming with the machine? Just a suggestion.

Yeah, this has been talked about elsewhere, but without knowing their price-point it's hard to make a guess. If they're going in at $249, which has been rumored a lot and mentioned in some magazine recently, then they might bundle two remotes right away. Lower than that, then probably not a package, since the remote is supposedly a bit expensive to produce.

Two classic controllers would be a bit far-fetched though, since the VC functionality isn't something that everyone will be taking part in.

It looks like a Super Nintendo controller with analog sticks.

That's the N64 for ya, right there. Uh... well that's what they're for anyway.

The N64 controller looked like some sort of alien weapon.

Rumour told of a regular pad to go along with the Wiimote, guess here's the proof. Certainly solves the problem of how you're supposed to play SNES and N64 games on it though, not to mention Mega Drive and Turbografx.

Just realised this will probably entail shelling out for two pads. Dammit.

It has a GameCube controller port. You can still use the GameCube controllers for those games.

Nintendo just made Sony's conference look like a 4th grade book report.

(Written by a drunk yak).

A new adventure game of course!

I'd say "check out the video", since I've heard that it looks great, but it keeps crashing both Firefox and Explorer for me.

Well, time to preorder. The only bad thing about the whole deal was that they're doing separate releases for Zelda. Bah, I say. I guess it would've had to ship on 2 disks anyway if they were just doing one release, but still. :shifty:

If they're going in at $249, which has been rumored a lot and mentioned in some magazine recently, then they might bundle two remotes right away.

I was hoping for cheaper, but I think that it will end up at $249 now that Sony has announced a price that would make anything look cheap. Maybe if Sony had made any effort to produce an affordable console, they could have made Nintendo go down to $200.

I'm still hoping for a €200,- release. If it were 250, I think I may start to doubt whether I'd get one immediately.

That said, I woke up this morning (just now) and I COULD NOT STOP BEING GIDDY. As I brushed my teeth and everything, I was simply so excited about the Wii and the presentation I was acting like a fool. I love it. I couldn't help myself. Did anyone else experience this?

Well, time to preorder. The only bad thing about the whole deal was that they're doing separate releases for Zelda. Bah, I say. I guess it would've had to ship on 2 disks anyway if they were just doing one release, but still. :shifty:

You were expecting the same package to play on both GameCube and Wii?

I was too. I clearly remember them saying that the new Zelda played on the (then) Revolution would allow for the controller to be used in new and amazing ways. I guessed that implied that you would just insert the Gamecube disc into the Wii and run with it--but no.

That's it! I'm bying a Wii. Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda looked freaking awesome!

I think Nintendo is right when they say that Wii will seriously attract those who haven't played before or have lost interest in gaming ages ago. My sister (five years older than me) used to play Super Nintendo a lot. However, she didn't really care for any of the Playstation games I had (except for Tekken and Driver) and just the other day she described the computer games I was playing as confusing.

Then a while ago, she asked if we could play some of the SNES games again. We tried, but the controllers didn't work too well anymore for some reason. She told me that she had tried EyeToy somewhere and really liked it, and asked me whether the game was available on Playstation. I explained that it only worked on PS2 and that I had broken my PS anyway. So she lost her interest in gaming again.

I think Wii is a great answer for this problem. First, we can dowload all those Super Nintendo classics and start playing them again. (I imagine that the price can't be too high. Any estimate?) Second, Wii will probably feature lots of simple (and possibly EyeToy-like) games. I'm sure that my sister would soon find a bit more complicated games interesting too, (being a huge Zelda and Mario fan and all).

To sum it all up: I may not have to pay for this console alone.

That said, I woke up this morning (just now) and I COULD NOT STOP BEING GIDDY. As I brushed my teeth and everything, I was simply so excited about the Wii and the presentation I was acting like a fool. I love it. I couldn't help myself. Did anyone else experience this?

I'll second that. I can almost see it under my TV already. I was an inveterate Nintendo fanboy for years, and just when I finally feel I've exorcised all my prejudices, when I finally felt ready to consider a PS3, this happens. It just seems like...so much fun. :woohoo:

Yeah. Me too. It seems so naive now...

I'll second that. I can almost see it under my TV already. I was an inveterate Nintendo fanboy for years, and just when I finally feel I've exorcised all my prejudices, when I finally felt ready to consider a PS3, this happens. It just seems like...so much fun. :woohoo:

I have the exact same feeling. I have never had a console - just playing on pc and handheld nintendo's (I didn't have a tv) - but recently I found one in a dumpster that I use to watch dvd's from my pc. And after watching the Nintendo presentation I really wanted a wii. And despite what Nintendo says I will never pronounce it any other way than WIIIIIIII (which I think is the real pronounciation - just remember Miyamote dancing...)

Some of the moves described in the previews seem quite complicated. There's going to be a learning curve and the tutorials have got to be good.

The preview I found most interesting so far is the red steel one because of the sword fighting. You have to get a target lock first before you can engage the enemy with the sword and apparently, the fighting is not free hand but it sounds like you basically block or do different attacks by positioning your hands differently while pressing down on a button. Pity you can't do free hand sword duels but i guess that's too complicated to implement.

Heh, all that talk about gestures in those previews made me think of Black and White. Wouldn't that game fit well with Wii?

Pity you can't do free hand sword duels but i guess that's too complicated to implement.

One quite an old PC game, "Die by the Sword", kind of did this. There were various options for controlling the sword, one was with the mouse, I think, another was with the keypad. I bought it just recently, but didn't play much because the game kind of sucked or was too hard.

But eventually, Wii will have to get at least one game that does this really well.