Ben

Nintendo's E3 Conference Thread

Ok, same drill as last night... kind of. I will not be doing live text updates as I am at work and will instead just be watching it with work collegues on a big projector :D Anyway, as before, please keep comments on topic and as much as possible Nintendo related!

If anyone has a stable live feed, then feel free to do text updates yourselves - sure it would be appreciated by others. But don't worry, we have not just dropped our own Thumbs coverage... watch this space... ;)

Seeing as how I've being going on and on about it, I'll do the text updates if no one else wants to claim that. Hopefully I won't lose interest halfway through. Timestamps will be done in local, PDT, time. These things usually take about 2 hours.

Live video streams:

Live text updates: (will be done in this thread as well)

Manually written text updates, prepared with love and haste:

[10:41 AM] Reggie stresses the importance of feeling over seeing, ends show.

[10:33 AM] Back to Reggie. Miyamoto will announce the lucky person who gets to play the Wii on stage (there was a sweepstake held together with AOL). Miyamoto shows how to play the tennis game from Wii Sports. Reggie and Iwata will play against Miyamoto and "Scott". Reggie fails to serve. Miyamoto wins in the end too.

[10:31 AM] Wii Sports will be a launch title and include tennis, golf and baseball.

[10:28 AM] He goes on to speak of how Wii will be able to load up very quickly, just a few seconds to load a VC game. Wii will also never turn off, still providing services when it appears to be shut down. They call this "Wii Connect 24" and it will use the same power as a miniature light-bulb. He goes to give examples of how this impacts games by showing a slide with Animal Crossing character and mentions how they will be able to communicate with your friends over the internet even when switched "off".

[10:23 AM] Nintendo president Satoru Iwata takes the stage! Talks about targeting a new consumer group, just like last year. Yawn. Keeps pressing Nintendo's "disruptive entertainment"... Nintendogs, Brain Age, the standard stuff.

[10:21 AM] DS promo video, with some Starfox footage along several new and a few known titles.

[10:18 AM] New DS games: Starfox DS, Yoshi's Island 2 and Diddy Kong Racing revealed. Also, more footage from the new version of Final Fantasy III.

[10:14 AM] Enough Wii stuff, George Harrison comes on stage to talk about the DS. The DS has, during the 18 months it's been on the market, sold more than 16 million units. After that it's basically a recap on sales numbers for individual games and Wi-Fi connections and other marketing talk.

[10:08 AM] Developers from Ubisoft France are now on-stage to show off Red Steel.

You move by using the nunchuck and control the weapon by the remote. The graphics looks pretty great, reflections on the wet street and some cool lighting effects. Turning seemed a little slow, but I guess that's something the player can decide on. They then showed off "freeze-time"... ugh, but it's actually not so unoriginal. You can tag spots on the enemy and when time catches up, you fire on those locations.

[10:05 AM] Time for some third party titles: Hyper Sonic, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles, Madden, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, Rayman. It's just a quick run-through of the titles, no new footage shown. 27 different Wii games will be at E3, though Reggie won't specify a launch number.

[10:03 AM] Metroid Prime 3: Corruption gets some more coverage. Nobody has time to think about that though, as Reggie moves along to reveal Super Mario Galaxy. Now it's time to show off three new franchises: Excite Truck (deforming terrain, hold remote as steering wheel), Project H.A.M.M.E.R. (which seems like a melee-based action game) and finally Disaster: Day of Crisis.

[10:01 AM] Zelda demonstration ends. Game will be playable on show floor. Back to Reggie.

[09:59 AM] Nunchuck has built in motion sensoring, also as has been rumored. Huge magnet and iron boot action in Zelda also demonstrated.

Playing Zelda using the remote seems very fluid. There's no weird spinning around or getting stuck on walls. So far so good.

[09:57 AM] As has been rumored, the remote has a small speaker that for example in Zelda gives of the sound of the bow-string and the sound of the arrow zipping forward.

[09:56 AM] Time for some NoA guys to play Zelda using the Wii controller. They list of a bunch of controls. Gameplay shows Navi is circling around Link, only on Wii. As a note: Zelda looks fucking fantastic. They display sword use, bows and so on.

[09:55 AM] Zelda: Twilight Princess will be alongside Wii during this fall's launch. What that means, I'm not sure.

[09:52 AM] Ok promo time; Metroid Prime 3, Dragonball, Dragon Quest, Disaster, Fire Emblem, SpongeBob... some THQ racing game... FINALLY the new Mario, Super Mario Galaxy! After that it's a Gundam game, Tony Hawk, some samurai game, Necro-Nesia, Excite Truck, Elebits, Red Steel, Rayman 4 (looks cool), Super Swing Golf, Hyper Sonic... Lost track here... Madden, Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles (pre-rendered video shown, I'm presuming) and finally, again, Zelda: Twilight Princess.

[09:50 AM] More fun for less money, but will not state a price at this time. The fourth quarter of 2006 however, will see the release of the console.

Time to talk about the name, and the reasoning behind it. Bullshit market-speak about gamers coming together. "[Wii] is the sound of the future"!

[09:49 AM] Reggie says "Wii" for the first time.

[09:46 AM] Back to Reggie, gives short introduction to this years Wii presense. Says Nintendo will not reveal all at E3, deliberately. Talks about video gaming as an esoteric form of entertainment.

[09:41 AM] A promo video for the Wii begins; tennis, golf, conducting and racing are shown.

Also, new Mario on video? Seems so! Hudson's flight sim also displayed. Next game is Metroid, but I can't tell if this is old Gamecube footage or not. Something similiar to WarioWare, with tons of mini-games also shown.

Now it's Red Steel time. Looks absolutely fantastic. After that Twilight Princess Wii functionality was displayed. Bows and arrows, swords and boomerangs, all were displayed. Fishing too... The end of the promo video shows the Wii logo and "2006".

[09:39 AM] Reggie Fils-Aime offers a short introduction. Playing is believing.

[09:38 AM] Different games are being shown by people playing on stage. Video seems prerecorded.

[09:37 AM] We're starting. Miyamoto is conducting a virtual orchestra with a Wii controller!

[09:30 AM] Ok, the time has come... to wait some more.

watching the gamespot version. Now all I'm getting just some fancy house-mix. Not entirely my style. Nicely mixed tho.

Also watching gamespot. I might actually start liking house...:blink:

Hmm... I should get a second monitor from the other computer so I could watch this thread in one and the conference in the other.

I'll just be recapping the video feed and browsing some forums trying to pick up stuff as we go. If you stick with the video you're not likely to miss much.

This is better than waiting for Sony's massively delayed press conference, during which they decided to play Sony's staple of old and tired music (I think they played Van Halen et al.)

awesome list of lauch titles!

zelda, ff:cc, supermario in space, red steel, pangya golf, dragonball Z, and some more I didn't catch. nice!

two motion sensors independent of eachother in each part! neato!

Awesome so far, except the guy controlling Link was a bit too stiff.

Hmm, here I was thinking that there'd be one Zelda game that'd just be differently controllable based on what system it was in... but they're just releasing two different versions. Hmm.

"The Name of the Game is still Games" :shifty:

27 wii games at e3! more on video. Does that mean 27 games on launch day?

27 wii games at e3! more on video. Does that mean 27 games on launch day?

No.

mr iwata speaking now, explaining ninty's goal of luring in new players and gamers who lost the interest