Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

World of Warcraft movie

Is it actually coming? A Warcraft movie? That seems awesome. If they can get the storylines in there and the cool stagings of the franchise... could be superb! I'm hoping the whole thing will revolve around Arthas.

Worst case scenario: we get a bunch of smalltime adventurers we don't know and that get to do some random quest. I want to see all the larger-than-life heroes and legends!

Also, I don't know what to think yet about the speculation that I could be live action. It seems good for mass appeal, but bad for, you know, the artistic view.

Ah well, as long as Orlando Bloom isn't in it...

How is that a good idea? How about a fantasy movie that is not generic?

Warcraft is simply somewhat the most striking fantasy series. The setting is strong and well-crafted, but it's mostly about the iconic characters that make up the cast that are interesting. Everything about the franchise's story has this iconic feeling to it. In that respect it would be diminished if the setting were not high fantasy.

That said, how many true fantasy movies are there? It's not a common filmgenre at all. But maybe you're on LotR overdose ;)

[edit: yeah I made a whoopsie with penultimate. Sometimes I just choose words on basis of what sounds coolest)

Warcraft is simply somewhat the penultimate fantasy series. The setting is strong and well-crafted, but it's mostly about the iconic characters that make up the cast that are interesting. Everything about the franchise's story has this iconic feeling to it. In that respect it would be diminished if the setting were not high fantasy.

That said, how many true fantasy movies are there? It's not a common filmgenre at all. But maybe you're on LotR overdose ;)

I don't think "penultimate" means what you think it means.

Besides, there are many fantasy series that have a better story than Warcraft. Also, there is no such thing as watching too much LotR!

Well yes, many stories are better than that of Warcraft, but I've grown fond of it. Maybe it's the simplicity, or the grand gesture, or the cinematic direction, but it's well-crafted pulp and I love it. And I'd love to see a movie capturing its bold design and powerful events.

I don't even like the LotR movies. Warcraft is the most boring fantasy setting since Warhammer. Even Dragonlance is more interesting.

Odd, I find Warcraft and Warhammer background a lot more interesting than any of the D&D universes. The D&D worlds bore me to death, especially forgotten realms. It's like the fantasy universe equivelent of being overly PC: every race and every monster must have it's own little country, gods, eponymous metal etc. It's so homogenised and stale. Elves in D&D are humans with pointy ears, dwarfs are short humans with beards. Gnomes even shorter people. There's no culture. And don't even get me started on their theory of magic.

Warcraft has never stood still. It's a world created for an RTS of all things. Everything is much bigger and simpler than life, but there's always a sense of history, progress and change. Maybe becuase of that the races clearly are different, and have different cultures and world views - even races that are supposed to be on the same side. It's cartoon, comic book fantasy, but it does that extremely well.

brkl, what fantasy universes do you consider "good"?

I've heard a lot of good about some "recent" fantasy novels, haven't read many of them yet, but my own favourite has recently become Robin Hobb's "Farseer" series (Assassin's Apprentice etc.). I'd like to see games/movies based on that.

I used to be a fan of LOTR about the time when there first started to be rumors about the movies, but I kind of lost interest even before the first movie was screened. I still liked the movies though.

Wait.. did warcraft change recently? I though it was orcs vs humans and a couple of other things around it. Itself isn't isn't a great movie plot.

Then again, maybe they will simply create a movie from that Warcraft adventure game they cancelled a long while ago.

Ah, well, novels yeah. A novel is nearly always going to be deeper than a game world. I'm wondering if they will attempt a His Dark Materials game after the movie. As a movie licence, it would probably suck (apparently they are downplaying the the gnostic/blasphemous aspects in the screenplay, big surprise).

edit: elmuerte; the whole orcs vs humans thing changed in Warcraft III. The orcs are no longer generic tolkienesque(/warhammer) orcs. If anything they are now more the good guys than the humans, who have been increasingly depicted as racist and reactionary. Also with WoW the other races are getting just as much if not more emphasis. The Horde and the Alliance are still skirmishing, but there is no all out war, and they frequently have to work together against some much bigger threats. In a lot of ways they have been bringing more Diablo-type stuff into the world, nearly to the point where the Diablo universe seems a bit redundant.

And they actually DID turn the adventuregame into a novel, called Lord of the Clans (I know). I actually own almost all of the Blizzard novels.

Dan, I agree that with the inclusion of more emphasis on the gods of the Warcraft universe, it has become more Diablo-esque, which is practically a treatment on the gods and mythology of that world. Still, I'd put Diablo in the horrorgenre and Warcraft still absolutely in fantasy. And where Diablo is still more or less simply the factions of good and evil fighting, Warcraft is much more multi-tiered, with all those races and factions and cultures having their own agendas. And yet, throughout it all it's still very strikingly iconic, which is what gives it the appeal of ancient myths of our own Earth.

brkl, what fantasy universes do you consider "good"?

Planescape, Glorantha, Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia, Tamriel to name a few.

elmuerte; the whole orcs vs humans thing changed in Warcraft III.

figures, never touched that one

Why the hell not? It was amazingly good. First RTS I actually bothered to finish simply because of the story. The expansion was redundant, but still fun. It's pretty cheap now too. Pick it up.

Planescape, Glorantha, Raymond E. Feist's Midkemia, Tamriel to name a few.

The Planescape setting is good, I'll give you that. Tamriel has yet to grab me. I'm not familiar with the others.

I'm pretty dissapointed that this movie is going to be live action. Blizzard make THE best prerendered cinematic cut-scenes in the industry, better than most animated short films. I've been wanting to see a feature length from their guys for ages. It would beat the pants off the Final Fantasy attempts. I've got a fealing that using real actors will just be too cheasy.

What!? I'm not sitting through anouth 10 hours of that again

What's wrong with Advent Children?

Maybe the facts that:

- the scenario is using the most cheesy cliches ever.

- the facial animations are crappy

- this is more a collection of scenes than a movie

- there is no direction (as in mise en scene) whatsoever unless you consider a bunch of guys crapping their pants after discovering free movments via digital camera and slow motion, people with a viable artistic approach.

- the overall rythme is shit