Ben

Sony's E3 Conference Thread

I think it's a mistake though to think of Nintendo as real competition.

Given the position in the market they aim to take with the Wii, I think

it's safe to assume that they will be running another race.

Amongst my friends at least buying the Wii is a done deal.

So the real fight is between Microsoft and Sony.

I still think it's probably going to take at least two year until we will

know who wins this one. I still think Sony is a favorite but they are really

dropping the ball at the moment.

As far as prices are concerned I don't think it's really a fair comparison

you guys are making. After all, everybody who paid 499€/$ for the

regular XBox 360 with the 20GB drive gets the exact same deal

with a next generation Bluray Player to boot when buying the PS3.

And all those people will have to shell out another 99 €/$ to get the

HD DVD drive. I only wonder how long it will take untill Microsoft releases

their games on HD DVD only. Given the huge advantage that gives them

with the PIRATES!!! And we all know how concerned everyone is about

those! Another problem that the 360 is running into with its "optional"

Harddrive is the fact that by making it optional they removed it out of

the specs and -I'm sure- made some developers think twice about

using it for their games, which to me is a step backwards.

As far as the controller is concerned I can only say that I am looking forward

to playing the new WipeOut on the PS3! Games like that should be ace

and the controls could usher in a new era of space-simulation-shooters á la

Colony Wars!

I wouldn't mind a PS3, but it is sad that they ripped off Nintendo. It really makes me sad that they ripped it off so half assidly.

Anyhow, I still think that the only console I could afford (and thus the only one that matters) is the Re... Wii.

So far it looks like the only way I'll end up with a PS3 is if someone tells my girlfriend that there is a Kingdom Hearts III.

Questions:

Why do you need a 60 gig hard drive? Is the 20 gig sufficient? How gimped is it?

What the hell happend to my Bat-arang controller!? If Sony won't let me be Batman, what good are they?!

Why do you need a 60 gig hard drive? Is the 20 gig sufficient? How gimped is it?

It's not just the hard-drive. If you get the loser console, you also lose built-in WiFi, a multicard reader, and an HDMI port. What fucking use is Blu-Ray if you can't output to HDMI?

At least with the 360, if you got the core pack you could always add-on the stuff later. How are you going to to add on an HDMI port to the PS3 if, a year later, you decide to buy yourself a new TV? :fart:

Ok, Nintendo's conference will start in about 20 minutes (as if they're gonna go live on time, ha!). Gamespot has the stream up now, so grab your spots.

If a thread hasn't been created when there is 10 minutes left, I will start writing one and we'll go from there.

Nintendo fanboys shouldn't really worry too much about this controller. It is not a wii controller for sure. It can detect 6 axis of motion, left/right tilt, forward/backward tilt, and up/down, but you can't just move it around like a mouse to point at something, so it lacks the precision of the wii. Also It doesn't understand the notion of depth, so I believe the experiences will definitely be different. I don't believe it is a total ripoff in terms of implementation, although the idea of having motion sensored movement(although there is no sensors) seems like a ripoff.

I think what bummed me most about the PS3 over anything else is the price. I thought 400 for the 360 was expensive, so if the PS3 will fail, it will be because of its price point.

In addition to the "3-posture-axis" of roll, pitch and yaw, "3-dimension acceleration information (X, Y, and Z)" can be detected in high-precision and in real-time.

Am I missing something here? I get hearing it can only detect tilt like that old Sidewinder, but that's not what Ben's post says.

"acceleration" does not equal full positioning, just how fast you're tilting it, or something. Not even close to the wii.

Sensing acceleration means sensing movement of the controller. It won't tell the controllers position in relation to the console, but it will tell the controllers position in relation to it's original position.

Not quite, It'll be able to tell that it has moved in a direction, but not how far.

Sensing acceleration means sensing movement of the controller. It won't tell the controllers position in relation to the console, but it will tell the controllers position in relation to it's original position.

Here's an exercise for you. Between point A and point B, hand X is moving at a constant speed v. What is the acceleration?

Zero.

Therefore, knowing how much it accelerates will not tell you what v is, nor where B is relative to A.

I only wonder how long it will take untill Microsoft releases

their games on HD DVD only. !

That's one plus that HD DVD has over Blu Ray - You can have both the HiDef version and a standard DVD version on the same disc. It is actually part of their standard. It is a feature Microsoft will be making use of as it saves huge amounts in production costs. You can't actually do this with Blu Ray unfortunately.

Think what sony could have done if they had done something 'innovative' like invented a controller that would be used both:

- as a standard dual analog game controller if held horizontal

- and as a single handed thing if held vertical.

..then nintendo wouldn't have been all smiles today :)

(Quick nintendo patent that one. )

It's not just the hard-drive. If you get the loser console, you also lose built-in WiFi, a multicard reader, and an HDMI port. What fucking use is Blu-Ray if you can't output to HDMI?

Sorry for sounding stupid, but I didn't understand this part. Without Wi-fi, does it mean that you can't use the PSP with the PS3?

What is a multi-card reader?

And what is the impact of not having an HDMI port? Does it mean that you can't run games in HD, or you can't watch movies in HD?

Here's an exercise for you. Between point A and point B, hand X is moving at a constant speed v. What is the acceleration?

Zero.

Therefore, knowing how much it accelerates will not tell you what v is, nor where B is relative to A.

It won't work if you throw the thing, but generally you keep the controller in your hands and whenever you change it position the controller gets accelerated. I can't claim to know that the controller can keep tabs on it's position at all times, but "six degrees of freedom" certainly includes x, y, z, yaw, pitch and roll. Unless they lied, of course.

It is odd how I expected Microsoft to be the buttboy of this generation, but now more than ever it seems Sony will take that oh-so-venerated place.

:kd:*

:wtf:

:innocent:

:tup::miyamoto:

:tmeh::fries:

*) We don't have any Sony-centric corporate icons amongst the smilies; this is the closest I could come.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but I didn't understand this part. Without Wi-fi, does it mean that you can't use the PSP with the PS3?

What is a multi-card reader?

And what is the impact of not having an HDMI port? Does it mean that you can't run games in HD, or you can't watch movies in HD?

Nah, not really stupid questions. The Wi-fi is for internet. As the PSP and PS3 will be communicating through Bluetooth, I believe this compatibility is unaffected. A multi-card reader is one that can read multiple different kinds of card. Memory Stick Duo, SD, etc. If you have a recent 3.5-inch floppy drive, odds are it has a multi-card reader in it. Have a look. HDMI (or High Definition Multimedia Interface) is being touted as kind of a cure-all for media playing. Uncompressed video and audio and such. It's possible that the PS3 will support a kind of HD without the HDMI using DVI, as HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI, but the signal from this would be inferior to true a HDMI signal.

Goddamn. So many abbreviations...