Marek

New Spore footage + interview

The new Spore footage starts at 29:00, including some interview snippets with Will Wright. The game itself looks phenomenal all over, except for maybe how there's some minor popups, like trees and rocks, when he's hovering over a planet. I guess they're working on removing that though.

Besides the looks, I just love how it sounds too, even over a video stream. Both the music and the effects are perfect for what we're seeing. That's a definite improvement over the first GDC video we saw, where the sound mix was sort of harsh and just didn't really seem all that good. Wright is also spot on with his assessment of what's wrong with massively multiplayer content and the single player approach to that which he's taken is great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that works, in action.

It also seems like they've got a few framerate issues, particularly in more populated cities, but otherwise it looks as cool as ever. I can't wait to play it.

I have no idea if that's the same footage or not because 1up doesn't work for me. Also, I just read on this site that Spore won't be coming out till 2007.

I have no idea if that's the same footage or not because 1up doesn't work for me. Also, I just read on this site that Spore won't be coming out till 2007.

Wow, that video is coooool. Still looks super promising!

:clap: spore :clap:

Tags: fipilele
heeeh :shifty:

like the asynchronous multiplayer that Wright is getting at in his little overview, but I'm seriously reserving judgement until it's out. I can't help but feel that the Spore is likely to cause disappointment simply because of its lofty ambitions.

Very nice. I especially like the smoke effects on the volcanoes. A little cartoony, but still just realistic enough. Although the interface kinda looks like EA saying "Hey, this guy made The Sims too, remember?"

Although the interface kinda looks like EA saying "Hey, this guy made The Sims too, remember?"

You don't think that maybe he choses that kind of interface himself, because he likes it that way, and that's why they are similar? Also, I'm pretty sure no one has forgotten about those games.

I still really want to play it, but am I the only one who thinks that the space bits look vaguely empty and pointless?

The line 'nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds' comes to mind.

You don't think that maybe he choses that kind of interface himself, because he likes it that way, and that's why they are similar? Also, I'm pretty sure no one has forgotten about those games.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. It seems a little lame to assume it's the publisher's doing and not, you know, the fact that the same designers work(ed) on both.

Baconian, the space bits are just for navigation aren't they? You need to use them to find your way to new planets and stuff, like an overworld.

well, yeah, I suppose. Maybe it's just the atmosphere of those parts, and maybe it's intentional. I get a similar feeling watching 2001.

I'm pretty sure there will be more to do in space besides looking for planets. In the 1up interview Wright mentions space battles...

In fact the whole game keeps putting me in mind of Iain M Banks' Culture novels. Amazing technology, the fate of planets, genetic tinkering, meddling in the affairs of uncontacted races, outlandish alien creatures that are considered human (although so far nothing in spore about tanshuman and AI tech). I'm really looking forward to running my own Contact section. Not to mention... Special Circumstances...

Anyone got a 1up mirror? Cause the page won't load for me.

Alien contact and spacebattles while building a planet? That reminds me of The Logic Factory's Ascendancy. Great game, listened to the soundtrack today, which I ripped out of the game personally.

Damn, Spore looks so good. Having to wait for things annoys me greatly.

Hooray for that youtube video, it actually shows a race other than the rubbish one they always show.

:tup:

It's a technological marvel, but I don't know how much I'll like it as a game. It could be one of those things that looks really good on paper, but crap once you play it, like Black & White.

It's a technological marvel, but I don't know how much I'll like it as a game. It could be one of those things that looks really good on paper, but crap once you play it, like Black & White.

Maxis has an excellent track record, so I don't think we have any reason to believe that it'll be boring to play.