Moosferatu

possibly interesting e3 games

Argh! I just found out that Gitaroo-Man Lives! is just a port! It's exactly the same as the original! Obviously that's not a bad thing if you haven't played the original, or if you want it on the go, but I was really hoping for new songs. Guess I don't need to buy a PSP afterall. Maybe there will be some new stuff added to it though.

I just watched the four minute trailer for the new Monkey Ball for the Wii. It was really surprising. There's a lot more to it than just the regular old Monkey Ball. It looks pretty fun.

I just watched the four minute trailer for the new Monkey Ball for the Wii. It was really surprising. There's a lot more to it than just the regular old Monkey Ball. It looks pretty fun.

More? I didn't notice that much more--the original MBs have tons of mini-games. If done right, MB Wii will be a GREAT value because of all the mini-games...no real need to get wii sports.

As for it being fun...definitely! It looked kind of more of a racing "roll down this big water slide tube" game, instead of a "slowly balance across this maze" game. So...I guess we'll see if that's good or bad.

More? I didn't notice that much more--the original MBs have tons of mini-games. If done right, MB Wii will be a GREAT value because of all the mini-games...no real need to get wii sports.

ah, I never played any of the other games. I just assumed they just involved the ball.

Bomberman having an existential crisis. That's fucking deep.

ah, I never played any of the other games. I just assumed they just involved the ball.

Oh man, they're packed. They both have basically the same mini-games I think, just done slightly differently: Monkey Golf, Monkey Fight, Target, Billiards, Bowling, Race.... They're well done, too, not just some quick dumb stage. Golf has a full set of holes to play, and maybe more than one course, I can't remember. Target is the best though--you roll down a hill, launch off a ramp, hit the button to open your ball into "wings," then try to land on this target. Getting to do all these mini-games with the wii controller will rock.

Yeah, Monkey Target is always what convinces everyone else that Monkey Ball is amazing. Also, that Bomberman trailer almost made me vomit. Seriously, why? What the hell did Bomberman do to deserve this?

It's weird, I really want to know more about Huxley and I want to play Hellgate, but I never remember to bring them up in threads like these... Anyway, yeah, Huxley could be really great and I guess you pretty much know what you'll get from Hellgate: London.

I can't wait for Huxley, although it didn't seem to get that much coverage, all I really heard was that they were planning to let 360 owners "play" on the same severs as PC owners.

I'm surprised that no one has linked to the excellent Bomberman: Act Zero trailer. Now that's quality.

It cuts me. It cuts me deep.

Re: Monkey Ball, I hope the remote speaker gives out a squeak for that Whac-a-Mole game.

It cuts me. It cuts me deep.

Come on, everyone knows that bomber man was meant to be a bad ass. This kind of deep edgy-ness is hard to come by. It's sure to be a winner.

On a vaguely related note, when I braved going to my local ebgames yesterday to pick up the New Super Mario Bros. I overheard a classic ebgames conversation. Two guys were checking out the stores sorry collection of PC games. One of them spots Half-Life on the shelves and points it out to the other. The guy mentions how a friend of theirs has it and how it really sucks. The other guy responded with something like, "Yeah, he likes really gay games." What they hell? I bet these same guys just eat shit like 50 Cent the game right up. The last time I was there I overheard some punk going on to an employee about how great 50 Cent was and how he just wished the game was longer. I think I'd lose my mind if I were to work at a place like that. Chris, how did you ever do it?

The funny thing about Bomberman == badass is that if you and look at the cover art for the NES game (which was crap. Really. It was.) it does seem pretty close to what Act Zero Guy Man looks like.

post-1194-13375602939334_thumb.jpg

Damn, were we simply blind all these years to the fact that it was taking them forever to get it right?

EDIT: Hmmm... thinking. Wait a minute. Anybody have an image of the japanese box? I'm betting it's a lot closer to the Bomberman we know.

I can't wait for Huxley, although it didn't seem to get that much coverage, all I really heard was that they were planning to let 360 owners "play" on the same severs as PC owners.

Okay, I have to call you on this one. Why on earth are people looking forward to Huxley? They've managed to get a lot of PR for it, but why??

Aside from having you know, the worst name ever, I look at this game and I see an Unreal Engine 3 PlanetSide. Everyone seems to gush over the graphics, but when it comes to the gameplay, it sounds really, kinda lame. I can't understand why anyone would want to play this game instead of UT2007, BF2142 or QuakeWars or any of the other games with superior gameplay and no monthly fees.

Holy crap. This I did not know:

[bomberman] was first released in 1983 for the ZX Spectrum/MSX in Japan and ZX Spectrum in Europe (under the English language title Eric and the Floaters, Spanish Don Pepe Y Los Globos).

Re: the Japanese artwork, no, actually it looked like a super-deformed / mech version of the NES release. (Couldn't find the original box, but the GBA release has the same artwork, right?)

post-1194-13375602939515_thumb.jpg

Okay, I have to call you on this one. Why on earth are people looking forward to Huxley? They've managed to get a lot of PR for it, but why??

Aside from having you know, the worst name ever, I look at this game and I see an Unreal Engine 3 PlanetSide. Everyone seems to gush over the graphics, but when it comes to the gameplay, it sounds really, kinda lame. I can't understand why anyone would want to play this game instead of UT2007, BF2142 or QuakeWars or any of the other games with superior gameplay and no monthly fees.

Have you actually played all these games, especially Huxley which you say has bad gameplay?

As for UT2007, it's the same old thing we got with 2003 and then again with 2004. Stale as hell at this point.

Towards BF2142 I'm guessing a lot of people are a bit ambivalent, since the support for BF2 was terrible and now they're abandoning it completely after a very short time.

QuakeWars is probably the most promising title out of all those and will most likely be very good, but it's still not a persistant world.

Huxley actually has a lot to offer if it comes through, with good gameplay, which has not yet been proven or disproven. However, I will say that I think it's harder to ruin an FPS than, say, an RPG. Maybe they'll manage to do something good with it.

I'm gussing Huxley's most contemporary competitor will be Tabula Rasa, which does look kind of cool but with the emphasis on PvE rather than PvP.

I think Huxley is a great name, referencing [WIKI]Aldus Huxley[/WIKI]. At least it's a move away from things like Future Soldier: Dark Conflict Online or whatever.

Yeah, I agree about the name being original, but the visual style is pretty much Unreal Tournament with trenchcoats and lots of brown, which brings it right back to titles like you mentioned. A zero-sum move really.

I think Huxley is a great name, referencing [WIKI]Aldus Huxley[/WIKI]. At least it's a move away from things like Future Soldier: Dark Conflict Online or whatever.

I get the reference, but dude, that's an awful, awful name.

Granted, it's better than DarkBloodDeathVengeance or something, or ElvesWithSwords, but only marginally.

And no, I have not played UT2007. QuakeWars, BF2142 or Huxley. I barely made it out of our booth this year. I'm relying on what journalists told me about each game. My point about Huxley wasn't that the gameplay's bad, it's just that it doesn't seem to offer much more than those other games (if anything) and it requires a monthly subscription to play.

I don't want to go out of my way to defend it, because maybe it isn't all that great, but clearly there are lots of people who don't mind monthly fees at all.

I mean, if it gets slightly-above-lukewarm reviews I might still get it and play it for the free month or something like that, just to see if it fits me.

Is saying Huxley will be like Planetside with an UT 2007 engine meant be a put down , I loved planetside, my only complaint was I didn't like the way the firing mechanism felt (felt not being an accurate description as you don't actually feel it but you know what I mean), and I like the way UT gun mechanics felt.

It'll be different from a multiplayer online shooter, as there will hopefully be a sense of progression through some sort of story, regularly updated content, co-op play against NPCs as well as PvP. Maybe it won't live up to my expectations but the MMO FPS is certainly a genre I'm hoping will evolve.

Dan I could be wrong about this but I thought Tabula Rosa was command based (like WoW) rather than a first person shooter, which wouldn’t really put it in direct competition with Huxley.