painaxl

Co-Op story-based games?

Project Eden has a 1-4 player co-operative mode. It's a sort of puzzle heavy adventure game with a bit of action. Really sweet in multiplayer.

As an update:

Started playing Badlur's Gate with the girlfriend. Pretty fun, although, we haven't gotten the timing down to actually get that far. We'll probably try and finish this one and see where we go.

The Bioware games have pretty fun multiplayer, but I would recommend Icewind Dale instead of Balder's Gate. Balder's Gate is a better game in single player, but Icewind Dale has almost no story so you just run around beating the crap out of monsters. You also don't have to deal with moral decisions in Icewind Dale, where one person wants to give the baby its rattle back, and another person wants to punch the baby. The only bad thing about Icewind Dale is that it is incredibly hard, so you constantly have to save because all your characters could end up dying on the next battle.

Final Fantasy CC hasnt really got a story, but is good fun to play - you'll need to get 2 x GBAs to play it together, it might be quiete hard with just 2 people too.

I don't think it's that hard with two players. Maybe the difficulty varies based on the number of players (?). I've never played it with two or three players.

As for Toejam & Earl: Best co-op game of all time.

As an update:

Shamrok43 suggested both Gladius and LOTR: the Third Age. Anyone played these? I've had an eye out for LOTR: The Two Towers since I found out that it's 2 player co-op.

Do not play Gladius with anyone else until you have figured what the fig pieces is going on. I really want to recommend this game but there were too many moments where I just didn't care what happened in terms of the story. The interface is a bizarre but often fun combination of turn based strategy and golf sims. Sorry that is the only way I can describe it.

If you enjoy Baldur's Gate, and don't mind going geekier, AD&D Heroes on the Xbox is an easy hack and slash that doesn't have much story but makes up for it with some gameplay that encourages team work. Otherwise, on any console "Hunter: The reckoning" series is pretty good (depending what kind of story you are looking for) although the balancing has some issues and the camera can often be your enemy.

This might sound a little retarded, but for some sit-down-for-30-minutes-need-stress-relief the Dynasty Warriors series has always been okay on any platform that supports it. Plus most of the story line is tied into the 'Romance of the three kingdoms' stuff.

Also Spaff is right Neo Contra is great, but it really depends on who you are playing it with, the game is unforgiving and in some moments downright brutal (running on helicopter blades for the win). Great intro and soundtrack, mind.

The Secret of Mana on the SNES.

Final Fantasy CC hasnt really got a story, but is good fun to play - you'll need to get 2 x GBAs to play it together, it might be quiete hard with just 2 people too.

Neo contra on PS2 has a hilarious story band the best co-op gaming ever man... best.

OK maybe not ever ¬¬

this isn't relaly a game you play with your girlfriend so much, as a game you play with your best mate for three days in a row without sleeping so that you can get an S ranking on every level at the EXPENSE of your girlfriend... in fact, the time I played it with you, it all happened a bit like this:

ME: What's fire? What're the buttons? Which one is me and which one is you? What's... what just... oh I died.

SPAFF: .......uh you did really well. Give it to Nick now.

¬¬

Hmm anyway I really want a co-op game that my sisters can play... I was thinking about Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords on GameCube (They have my old GameCube at home)... but then they'd need gameboys which they don't have, so it'd be really expensive. They're all getting DSs for Christmas though, so I'm hoping there'll be some good co-op games on that... maybe they wouldn't even mind Children of Mana since they have no concept of a BETTER CO-OP GAME ;( ;(

I think they'd really have fun with Four Swords :D

Have you considering World of Warcraft? It can be a really fun game to play together...

...OMG I have just figured out what to get my sisters and brothers for Christmas! :D

Well, it's not really an RPG, but I've heard good things about playing Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance II in co-op. The first one is available for both Gamecube and PS2, so maybe check that out.

The first is actually also for the XBox. I know because I own it. :)

I would also recommend Dark Alliance as a good Co-op RPG. It's a nice introduction to RPGs, it keeps everything nice and simple. It may turn your girlfriend off though because it's a little repetitive, like virtually all hack-n-slash RPGs.