IGN has, I believe, the first actual gameplay footage from NWN2. Check it out. I'm not sure if these links will work, but here are the three videos themselves: one, two, and three. For some reason I was never that excited about this game till this past week or so. It's looking like it's going to be quite awesome.

As previously mentioned in the Oblivion thread, Chris Avellone is the writer for this project and has done most if not all of the dialog. In case you don't know him, he is probably one of the best writer there is in RPG's, with titles such as Planescape Torment under his belt. So yeah, that's a good reason to get excited for this. Besides the credited writing, it's looking great so far.

The videos focus mostly on the character creation process and the pretty engine...there isn't much real gameplay to be seen.

I appreciated the first game, but found the storyline too dull to remain interesting after the first six or seven hours so I never finished it.

I recognize the talent of the writers involved, but does anyone know if the story's going to be more interesting this time around? The writers at Bioware aren't exactly slouches either.

As previously mentioned in the Oblivion thread, Chris Avellone is the writer for this project and has done most if not all of the dialog. In case you don't know him, he is probably one of the best writer there is in RPG's, with titles such as Planescape Torment under his belt. So yeah, that's a good reason to get excited for this. Besides the credited writing, it's looking great so far.

That is a reason to be excited.

Ugh,

I loved NWN, not for the single player campaign that much, but for the toolset and what the community managed to create. It was all about the multiplayer persistant worlds, much better than a lot of MMOs I've played.

Like Moos I wasn't particularly excited about NWN2, but after seeing that I'm deffinately going to be keeping a closer eye on it. Looks like they've put a lot of effort into making the toolset even more in depth. Hopefully it will play as well as the original.

That is a reason to be excited.

Kingz, I can never tell if you liked Planescape or not. I know you never finished it and you enjoy making fun of "your journal has been updated", but what did you think of it?

There's a new video interview up over at Gamespot. Feargus said that you'll be able to import game scripts and dialogue from NWN mods into NWN2. Hopefully this will mean there will be more high quality mods popping up more quickly after its release. Of course, they'll be remakes, but I never had NWN so they'll be new to me.

I got the diamond pack not too long ago and enjoyed what I played, but then the Christmas vacation ended and I haven't picked it up since. I was about 14 hours in with so much ground left to cover. I should really try and finish that sometime.

Kingz, I can never tell if you liked Planescape or not. I know you never finished it and you enjoy making fun of "your journal has been updated", but what did you think of it?
It is the best-written game this side of Tim Schafer. The "Updated my journal" jabs are affectionate.

It is saying a lot about quality of writing in Planescape Torment that I didn't notice it was based on DND unil relatively late in my playing experience (not to say late in the game since I never finished it). Other DND games are really transparent about their DND nature. PsT wasn't.

It is the best-written game this side of Tim Schafer. The "Updated my journal" jabs are affectionate.

It is saying a lot about quality of writing in Planescape Torment that I didn't notice it was based on DND unil relatively late in my playing experience (not to say late in the game since I never finished it). Other DND games are really transparent about their DND nature. PsT wasn't.

Yeah, this is the only reason I'm interested in NWN2. Otherwise :fart:

New trailer. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a Bioware game with interesting cutscenes. Yeah, I know this isn't a Bioware game, but it's still a Bioware hand-me-down. Plus, the old Black Isle (essentially now Obsidian) always seemed to have trouble with cutscenes too, besides the intro to Planescape. That was brilliant.

I'm willing to bet that's not an in-game cutscene, but an intro-title movie like the minotaur fight in NWN 1.

I'm not as crazy about NWN2 as I am about the prospect of Dragon Age, but I will definately still be buying it and enjoying it. Obsidian seem to be turning into Bioware v2.0, but I have no problem with that. Nice to hear that the dilogue and scripting will be backwards compatable with the NWN1 toolset. Time to start digging out all those mod ideas I never finished!

I'm willing to bet that's not an in-game cutscene, but an intro-title movie like the minotaur fight in NWN 1.

Yeah, it's not in-game. I wasn't saying that it was. I was just saying that they tend to suck at pre-rendered cutscenes, so it's nice to see one that actually looks decent.

[edit]Wait, did you mean not in-game as in doesn't use the game's normal engine, or not actually part of the game's story?