I'm planning on ordering the Half-Life 1 Anthology from Amazon, and was looking around for something else to add so I could get free shipping. I discovered that they have Runaway for $8, which isn't bad. What's the thought on Runaway? Worth getting? Something else I should get instead?

Well, I don't know what else you can get, but Runaway is cool if you're into point and click adventures. I don't believe thinking it was the greatest game ever, but I usually give up games pretty quick if I don't like them, and I played that one through, so I dunno.

I think you can get No One Lives Forever 2 for no money at all from amazon. Could be worth it. You could also wind the newly released version of Bad Mojo for cheap. I bought mine at a Target, althoug Amazon may have some too...

Deus Ex (1), all the way

you'll never get a better deal out of a game

replay/gameplay/story/voice acting everything

graphics a bit outdated, but for under $10 it's the bets you could do

BESIDES

GRIM FANDANGO

best game of all time

you'll get alot out of that one too

so, deus ex (fps) or grim fandango (lucasarts adventure of the highest quality)

your call

They're selling the new Bad Mojo for $20. That's crazy. Isn't it like $10 at Target? How is it, by the way?

Quite good. I got the rerelease not too long ago and had a lot of fun with it. Focus is on environmental puzzles instead of inventory stuff, so it's a really nice change from normal adventure games.

I haven't played Runaway, but I suspect, because I've been told by people I believe, that it isn't very good. In any case there are certainly a ton of better games you could get. I'm not sure if this has suddenly become a "recommend games" thread but Deus Ex is a winner.

I haven't played Runaway, but I suspect, because I've been told by people I believe, that it isn't very good.

That is being Very Polite.

If you really, really, really, really want Runaway, I will send you my copy. Because it's horrible. And I want to get rid of it. Because of its horrible...ness.

Please do not think I am joking. I will send it to you if you want it. I can't get rid of it. No-one will take it. I'm thinking of taking Drastic Measures, possibly involving a blowtorch.

You can also have Atomic Betty for GBA for free, as I would like to send you a good game, and although it's a horrid licenced GBA platformer that only lasts two hours and only uses password save, it was more entertaining than Runaway.

And there you have it - that ends my report from the scene.

wow, it sucks that much? I think it's kind of funny then that Evan gave it 4.5 out of 5.

Runaway is absolutely one of the top twenty adventures ever [bold his]

For starters, the interactable items blend in with the background, making it difficult to know hot to proceed at some points.

Then there's the ending, which seemed to me to go entirely agianst the main character's previous pattern of behavior.

What, Ben, you really hate it this much? I never played it because at the time my computer wouldn't run the demo, but it always seemed to me as quite atmospheric. I'd actually like to try it out one day. Maybe it hits the right bells and whistles in my noggin', you know. If you're that desperate, I could give you my address and rid you of it.

The animation is nice, the main character (Bruce, Barney, Brian, whatever) is a tool. A complete tool.

*** Very mild spoilers follow **

Puzzles are annoying, lots of pixel hunting. At one point you need oil to lubricate something or other. There is a puddle of oil on the ground in a nearby scene, I think it's even a hotspot. But no matter what you collect you can't scoop any up. There's even an oil can on one screen, but you can't pick that up either.

So it turns out you actually need suntan lotion from another character as the 'oil'.

At one point Bonzo drops a spanner in some mud, but even though he desperately needs the spanner, he won't pick up up for fear of getting muddy hands.

At another time you need to traipse across several scenes to put some water in a boiler. Except it takes about a dozen container loads to fill the boiler up. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth.

If that sounds like fun, then Runaway may just be the game for you...

:fart:

Well I sort of liked it - for the mood alone - and a nice ending etc etc. But some of the puzzles was quite horrific - but still - I enjoyed it....

wow, it sucks that much? I think it's kind of funny then that Evan gave it 4.5 out of 5.
Evan knows that review was off the mark though he will never ever publically admit it. We joke about it all the time in the AG staff. :shifty:

I waited for Runaway for years and years, I dreamed about it being so good that my head would explode.

It didn't quite go like that in the end.

Totally mediocre game that had nice graphics, some of the worst characters in a game ever, stupid pixel hunting and weak plot, that's about all.