Lechimp

Bananas, proof that god exists

I love how they say that, as an atheist, I'm the opposite of an intellectual. Then later they say "Don't argue on an intellectual level." I feel like my brain has been raped by asshole zealots.

I'm not watching 28 minutes of propaganda to hear them talk about bananas. When do they do that?

I watched the 28 minutes of propaganda. They can't spell and they think an agnostic is someone who doesn't know if there is a god. They use families as blackmail. Most of their arguments are lawyer-like verbal trickery and they think buildings are animals that breed.

I watched all of those 28 minutes... minutes I'll never get back.

Most of their arguments are lawyer-like verbal trickery and they think buildings are animals that breed.

I wouldn't even say that. "Behold the banana, the atheist's nightmare". What the fuck? He basically went through a list of reasons of why bananas and humans have evolved in the way they have but chose to attribute it to god's righteous hand and somehow tried make it look as proof against evolution... Also, gotta love the ol' eye argument.

I guess I could recommend Richard Dawkins' "The Root of All Evil" documentary mini-series. Quite a counter-reaction to the kind of thinking presented in the original video here. Sadly it is a bit juvenile in that it has a very narrow and anti-religious bias, where he almost outright proclaims religion as a plague upon humankind. If you can stand a bit of somewhat motivated* intolerance then it is a very interesting view.

* I say somewhat motivated as these people are very much against the theory of evolution, without any viable proof, and basically take a huge dump on Dawkins' life work.

Hahahaha, AMAZING.

Yesterday I was walking down a street, and some christians gave me a leaflet. It read:

IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH?

We warmly invite you to join us on Sunday to find out

Intrigued and amused, I went to their little Christian stall outside blockbusters and got more propaganda leaflets. In Brighton, nobody believes in god pretty much, so they were delighted that I was taking an interest.

"Where are you from?"

"Ireland," I replied, smiling nicely at them.

"Oh! Catholic then! Are you here studying?"

"Yes actually."

"Okay, our church is very friendly. We're Evangical Christians, but we welcome all. We'll be outside our church tomorrow at 11 to welcome newcomers. What's your name? You're so nice."

This sounds exaggerated, but that's pretty much exactly how the conversation went. They were creepy and seemed to latch onto the fact I was young, and had just moved to Brighton. They could offer me 'support' and 'love'. They were here to listen to my problems, they said. "Our church is basically a big family. If you ever have any problems in Brighton, you can trust us."

While they were talking, I got a free copy of Where was God on 9/11? (from the author of Does God believe in Atheists?), and some other random leaflets, and just as I was about to leave one of the guys said, "Here, have this too. It's a good read."

He handed me the last copy of a big book on the stall. "Oh, I wouldn't want to take that, it's your last copy," I said nicely, "I'd feel guilty."

"No, you... you'll like it. I want you... I want you to have it." He pushed it into my hand. "It's yours now."

It turns out that the book was in fact not free. He was supposed to have charged me for it, but I guess he liked me so much that he gave it as a free gift. Because I took an interest in their little stall. This is how desperate religious people get in Brighton. You'd think they'd just move from here. Their stall was outside an abandoned church due for demolishment. Awesome.

IS THERE LIFE AFTER DEATH?

We warmly invite you to join us on Sunday to find out

WTF? That sounds like a death threat. Or at least a group suicide pact.

If there is no God, then who pushes up the next Kleenex out of the box?
The Devil?

Kingz, your new signature is incredible.

I concur. I wish I'd thought of it first...

You know, I have absolutely no idea anymore. It's been sitting in my pictures folder since mid-March and I totally forgot about it until I stumbled upon it the other day. I really want to know where I got it from too to see if there's anything in a similar style to it. So, sorry but I haven't the foggiest.

Very Freudian. I especially like it when he makes a hole with his fingers and sticks the banana up it. I must now stop being an atheist.