Ben X

'Gibbage' from Size Five Games

Hi Everyone,

I posted a plug for Gibbage a while back, but this is the last one ever, promise.

Dan Marshall has now completed his game, 'Gibbage'! It's a cartoon deathmatch platformer that Dan has created from scratch on his own, teaching himself to code along the way. It's so far garnered good feedback from Ron Gilbert and Charles Cecil.

The website is up and running. You can download the (new and improved) demo for free, read his blog, find out about the game, and download it for only £6/$11.

He's chronicled his progress in PC Zone magazine, and his blog reprints the articles. It's a really good read, and he'll soon be giving more in-depth tales of the basics of self-taught bedroom programming, so check it out.

I implore you all to download the free demo, give Dan feedback if you wish, and of course buy the game for the price of a couple of pints if you're suitably impressed. It's a brilliantly fun game, with the emphasis on gameplay, and as an Indie Game, fighting against the chart-clogging corporate tosh we put up with, it needs all the support and attention it can get.

Thanks,

Ben Ward

Sadly still having problems running the game at home, albeit different ones this time. But it's awesome that Dan has been sending me e-mails regularly to check if I've been able to solve the problems.

As for the new demo, played it at school and it's really bitching. Everyone check it out now! The game is still immensely enjoyable, simple fun. And now the intro music is totally awesome.

Got the demo running, but the controls irritate me a little. I'll need to work out a nice litte scheme that works on my joypad and then see how I like it. The default controls... leave something to be desired. Don't know about the gameplay yet, but the awesome of the design earns the game some points.

You can always change the keys via the options menu; but you're definitely right, it's much better with a joypad...!

Let me know how you get on, my email's on the Gibbage site...

Dan

Heh. Quite enjoyable. Reminiscent of this game that my friends and I would always load onto the school computers in grade 6 and 7, Liero. Same kind of blood effects and such. Still haven't gotten the gamepad working quite right yet, but found a passable keyboard configuration that makes the game playable. Good job, an entertaining little diversion to say the least.

Woo hoo! Fan mail!

Thanks LOP, glad you're enjoying it. Perhaps you'd like to embellish a little for these fine people. Help me convince them Gibbage is the Indie gaming event of the decade...!

Oh man, Liero was the king of games. Ultimate gameplay. I might give this a try.

I never heard of Liero before people started mentioning it here... bet it isn't as good as Gibbage, though. Was there a level in Liero that had hundreds of Zombies swarming around a disused hospital? Or on top of a speeding train? Or in space? Or amid wanking monkeys?

I don't think so. Therefore, despite having never played Liero, I hereby officially declare it "not as good as Gibbage".

Nah, Liero was a much simpler game. Two worms move around in destructible soil and try to kill each other with a variety of weapons. Realistic gravity and a cool ninja rope. It was just a little freeware game, but tons of fun.

Yeah. Back towards the tail end of elementary school (grade 7-ish I think) my friends and I would take Liero in to the school library on a 3.5-inch disk and install it on their computers. Pretty much all of my science classes (held in the library because the school was short on rooms...) were wasted playing against my buddies in that game. By the end of it, there wasn't dirt anymore, just blood. Of course, it isn't as good as Gibbage, primarily for the reason that there was no single player component. Still, fond memories. Of course, Gibbage (from what I've seen) doesn't have a grappling hook that allows you to hang from the ceiling and drop exploding bananas on your enemy, so make of that what you will. Of the two, I declare Gibbage the winner, although I'm still fighting to find a control scheme that feels natural.

I considered Ninja Ropes, actually. Unfortunatley, they were completely useless and fell into the same category as "Rocket Packs", in that it was a really disappointing power-up to get.

Glad Gibbage got declared the winner, though. That cheered me up. The best control I've found is a cheapo Joypad, which cost me about £5. Which is about $8, I think.

If I have to use a keyboard (as I did for a long time), I use Z/X for left and right, F/C for up and down, H for shoot, G for action and LShift for Bomb. Works brilliantly for me, but then I was brought up on a diet of Chuckie Egg, and as such these keys feel like a natural extension of my manly body...

Balls, Liero won't work immediately on my work PC. How unlike Gibbage...

From the sounds of it, though, Worms ripped it off something rotten.

Liero is post-Worms by quite a few years. I don't see why it wouldn't run on any XP machine, albeit without sound unless you install extra software.

I tried Gibbage and it seemed so immensely hectic I stopped playing after about two minutes. Maybe it'd be more fun with a friend.

No one getting this? ;( Only today left! Save yourself £3! (Unless you realise it's so awesome you MUST donate.)

I bought it back in 2006 and then forgot to post about it. I liked it because I could beat my brother in it. Also it's good.

Can I ask why you named the installer "setup.exe" instead of something more descriptive like "gibbage_setup.exe"?

Can I ask why you named the installer "setup.exe" instead of something more descriptive like "gibbage_setup.exe"?

Yes, I too would like to know the surely exciting and twisty tale behind this decision!

I just renamed it after I downloaded it so I'd know what it was later.

I just renamed it after I downloaded it so I'd know what it was later.

Go on...