Marek

Magazines

Like, the ones they print on paper.

I'm subscribed to:

Wired

I love it I love it I love it. Its techno utopianism can occasionally go a little overboard, but I take it for granted. Its focus on how technology relates to and affects people is pretty awesome, and I really admire their writing style.

EDGE

I have a 2 year subscription that will run out in probably half a year. I'm not sure if I'll extend. It's a good mag, and its features and interviews are a large part of the reason I subscribed, but lately some of the websites have gotten better at those things too. Outside of its unique features (i.e. previews, reviews) EDGE feels pretty cold.

I've been thinking of subscribing to something of more general interest in place of EDGE, like maybe National Geographic, but that mag only has one or two articles I'm interested in per issue. What do you guys read?

Edge, and... well, that's it. I have no idea what else (in the UK) is worth buying, and don't feel like taking shots in the dark with cash to find out.

I subscribe only to RESET at the moment, which is a new and very well done gaming magazine here in Sweden. A bit like Edge, but I think it's better still. The staff are as close to legends you can come within the borders of swedish game journalism, featuring the best former editors from magazines like PC Gamer and Super Play. They do loads of, for the most part, good interviews and have some interesting features as well as an excellent Retro section. The layout is also fantastic and constantly feels fresh.

Sadly, last month they announced they would merge with a rather shitty magazine called Player1, the staff of which all wish they were from Japan and can't stop fucking talking about how great Japan is. Did I mention they reference japanese culture all the time and feature shitty manga-style strips loosely related to gaming? Because they do... I hope the new magazine, LEVEL, doesn't turn out too bad since I have about 9 months left on my subscription and would hate to feel ripped off. :getmecoat

I also buy Wired from time to time, much for the same reasons as Marek. It's actually cheaper buying it on import news stands than subscribing. The downside is that you have to wait for the issues to appear. I still haven't seen the Will Wright issue yet, but I'm looking. :shifty:

No subscriptions, but occasionally I buy Edge (the only game magazine I buy... well, other than Game Developer), Game Developer, Wired, The Walrus (kind of like a Canadian Harpers), er, Harpers, Seed (http://www.seedmagazine.com/), Res (I miss Shift), Creative Arts and some random design/art magazines here and there, and occassionally one of the science mags (Discover, American Scientist, Scientific American, Discovering American, American Discoverer, whatever) depending on what the focus of the issue is -- mostly if its some abstract physics shit or space matters.

I got a gift subscription to MacLean's (Canadian Newsweek-ish but not really) a while back, but probably won't renew it. There's a few interesting articles now and then, but on the whole it's way too tabloid-y. Other than that, I don't read a whole lot of magazines. As apparently a few people around here do, I'll occasionally pick up an issue of Wired or maybe PC Gamer, but nothing ever really impresses me enough to subscribe.

I'm not subscribed to anything -save for the two magazines I actually work for, Dutch Nintendo mag [N]Gamer and Dutch Japanese culture mag Aniway. I'd like one on Edge, but it's fricking expensive and I can borrow it from the school's library.

I'm just an occasional reader of Edge, PC Gamer, Total Film, Empire, Q and NME here, although the new Official Nintendo mag's not too bad at all either (so far). Recently picked up a copy of OXM to see if it's really as heart-stoppingly awful as everyone says, and amazingly it's even worse, even great writers like Gary "UK:R" Cutlack can't save it.

As a whole, games mags these days are just so utterly fucking useless I rarely bother reading them anymore.

I'm not subscribed to any printed magazines and I don't buy printed magazines either. I prefer electronic.

the german gamestar and gamestar/dev

gamestar was pretty good in the good old times, but nowadays they are too much oriented on these commercial stuff (ea hoooray! loads of "news" about good selling games like wow, battlefield 2, etc) and they gave psychonauts only 77 out of 100. ;(

gamestar/dev is pretty good. probably because most of the people writing on the magazine are freelancers working in the games industry and it's much more developer-oriented. but also a few articles are lacking of criticism (as an example an article of .net 2.0 written by an ms-guy...).

Edge is the only magazine I buy each month. Apart from that, I occasionaly read OOR, a Dutch magazine on popular music.

And, errm, well... sometimes I can't resist to take a look at Power Unlimited, a Dutch gamesmagazine my brother is subscribed to. A guilty pleasure, really. :getmecoat