Oath

First Revolution game revealed... it's an FPS!

exactamundo.

I personally guarantee FPSs will work perfectly like this. And I didn't mean to suggest anything about your courage in the face of new electronic equipment, miffy.

I just wanted to stress that different, in this case, is good, and to me it's self-evident that the rev will have the most natural and user friendly FPS controls in the history of the universe.

For consoles, you're damn right. I'll play with Dual Analogue if I have no other choice, but damn is it imprecise. I look forward to the day when console FPSs no longer require an "auto-aim" function. When the game has to help you that much, your controls just ain't working.

Also, point taken. I hadn't considered the possibility of not pointing at what you're shooting, but moving the pointer much like a mouse. That would make some sense.

Why do you assume the crosshairs have to be removed?? It could function just like a mouse on the PC where you aren't using it to point directly at you want to shoot per se, you are using it to point the direction of your view with your target always being centre screen.....

The thing about having a mouse is that when you reach the edge of the pad, you simply lift it up and move it back to the centre. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no equivalent for "lifting up the mouse" for the controller (short of using a button, which seems like a waste).

If you use it like a mouse, once you have turned through 180 degrees, aren't you then pointing the controller at the back wall? (Or at least, you will eventually be pointing at the back wall if you keep turning in one direction.) Trying to map your wrist gymnastics in that position back to the screen in front of you, in order to work out which is left and which is right, sounds awfully clunky. Have I misunderstood you?

The thing about having a mouse is that when you reach the edge of the pad, you simply lift it up and move it back to the centre. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no equivalent for "lifting up the mouse" for the controller (short of using a button, which seems like a waste).

If you use it like a mouse, once you have turned through 180 degrees, aren't you then pointing the controller at the back wall? (Or at least, you will eventually be pointing at the back wall if you keep turning in one direction.) Trying to map your wrist gymnastics in that position back to the screen in front of you, in order to work out which is left and which is right, sounds awfully clunky. Have I misunderstood you?

yes

I had exactly the same thought and almost mentioned it in my previous post, but then I thought back to playing FPS on my PC and realised it's down to the sensitivity of the turning.

As far as I recall I don't generally have to lift the mouse up and move it back, the turning is easily done with relatively small movements and no loss in accuracy (ignoring for now that I am a RUBBISH shot :D)

I had exactly the same thought and almost mentioned it in my previous post, but then I thought back to playing FPS on my PC and realised it's down to the sensitivity of the turning.

Imagine the FPS map equivalent of a NASCAR circuit, where you are constantly turning left. Whatever the sensitivity of your mouse, you'll need to pick it up and move it back to centre eventually. Whatever the sensitivity of your Revmote, you'd end up pointing at the wall behind you eventually, in a similar manner, no?

Yep, that makes sense. I guess the Dead Zone idea mentioned earlier is probably the best way to go.

I saw that rumour the other day and found it pretty interesting too. But then I tried to imagine myself successfully controlling three different movement controls at once - revmote, nunchaku movement and analog stick - as well as then remembering to press other buttons to do the in-game actions and ... well, all I could picture was myself flailing in a confused and overwhelmed manner. It seems like the kind of thing that would push the controller from being intuitive to being immensely complex.

I could easily see the nunchaku movement detection being used for something more simple though. E.g. in Zelda smacking an enemy with your shield, between sword slashes.

It does seem like it kinda goes against how intuitive they're trying to make everything. I guess I'll need to play before I can judge, but it's still a bit odd to have the wii controller (*sigh* may as well accept it and adjust) a TWO part moving around thing.

I'm a little concerned with that Revolution trailer that is going around the web: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI7Ow5auJvM&search=revolution%20trailer%20b. Kinda needlessly violent. Why would Nintendo go to such an extreme corner? This is way beyond what I'd deem appropriate for any company or thing. This is just the promotion of peerless violence.

Hahaha, that trailer has oh so much more relevance now. Skip to about 35 seconds in if you don't understand.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing. Wii: Weeing on the competition.

PS My "something for everyone" comment was indeed a failed attempt at a joke.