Oath

First Revolution game revealed... it's an FPS!

The advantage-in-not-killing-people method sounds interesting. Anyone know if this is just kind of a bonus when defeating the bosses or if it will be more widespread? (For example, if you don't entirely kill off the guy's army of goons before sparing his life.)

• You signal "yes/no" answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side
  • You show extra respect by bowing to the masters
  • "You can act disrespectively as well: there are no cut scenes in the game - all conversations take place in game, as in Half Life 2. However unlike that game, characters wont keep prattling on if you walk away from them. They will react angrily to your imputent behavior"
  • You turn gang leaders to your side by besting them in battle and stopping a deadly blow miliseconds before it strikes

Now those are awesome. Finally I get to be more than just a cameraman in the cutscenes that aren't cutscenes, but are really cutscenes.

I like that this is the first Revo game to be revealed: it's pretty, it's in a conventional Western genre, and it's not made by Nintendo. This tells the hardcore gamer skeptics (and Mark Rein and Scott Miller :shifty: ) that the Revolution won't be all about "gimmicky games", but that all types of games can benefit from its innovations.

I'm just as excited about Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting though.

In that fanmade video the bloke is quite obviously stabbing a man and there is a woman shouting at him to stop. Then a guy comes into the room and tries to stop him, not a woman.

:shifty:

Not that it matters as it's a piss take anyway.

Back on topic the game sounds pretty sweet, shooting and swording. Awesome.

I can't tell anymore if you guys are dumb or just trying too hard to be funny.
I assume the former and hope for the latter. That way I can be pleasantly surprised. I am not, but it might happen yet.
I'm just as excited about Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting though.
I think it will be ass. You want this sort of game made by Sega. Can you imagine a painting game modeled like Sega Marine Fishing? You would have to do paint these happy trees and the game would figure out how close you were to the original Bob Ross and score you on that. If you fail miserably your avatar on screen would scream, "OOH NOOO!"

I guess they are making this game for the console debut is for people who like FPS and haven't bought a console yet? Or atleast a next gen one?

"Hmm, do I send 400-500€on a next gen console and 60-70€ on a game or or do I spend only half of that and get an Revo?":erm:

Mark Rein and Scott Miller :shifty:

God the trolling those guys get up to gets so tedious sometimes. I remember reading before Half-Life 2 even got announced some comment from one of the two 3D Realms guys about how the reason Valve hadn't announced the game yet was because they were "discovering how difficult it was to write a new engine", or similarly catty words.

And Mark Rein? Well I guess he knows what the next-gen is all about - putting shiny graphics on yesterday's gameplay. Gears of War ... as CliffyB puts it "the first entry in a new genre ... the Cover Shooter". Or as my sneaking suspicion goes, boldly taking action games back to 1997 and the days of Time Crisis.

I guess they are making this game for the console debut is for people who like FPS and haven't bought a console yet? Or atleast a next gen one?

This looks like it will be the best FP console game yet. I like basically everything I've seen in this thread about it, particularly the respect stuff and the revo interface usage.

"Hmm, do I send 400-500€on a next gen console and 60-70€ on a game or or do I spend only half of that and get an Revo?":erm:

not a difficult one for me either.

This looks like it will be the best FP console game yet. I like basically everything I've seen in this thread about it, particularly the respect stuff and the revo interface usage.

That's an awfully strong statement for a game for a new console with an unproven interface.

I'm very skeptical of the FPS genre's ability to thrive on the Revolution, but then I'm also very skeptical of any non-traditional interface. I do really like my DS, but I do so in spite of its touchscreen, not because of it. So far, I find the uses of the touchscreen take away from games that use it (but then I play games like Phoenix Wright, Castlevania and Advance Wars, none of which needed to use it at all).

This game does sound cool, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls. I'm more interested in seeing new gameplay styles using the Revo than adaptations of existing ones that may or may not pan out.

Plus that Bob Ross game. That could rock.

I'm very skeptical of the FPS genre's ability to thrive on the Revolution, but then I'm also very skeptical of any non-traditional interface.

So I take it you hate all console FPS games, since they pretty much all use the "non-traditional" dual analog control scheme -- which has been around for a generation and a half so far.

So I take it you hate all console FPS games, since they pretty much all use the "non-traditional" dual analog control scheme -- which has been around for a generation and a half so far.

Not at all. The dual stick is hardly non traditional. It's an evolution of the gamepad interface.

I don't care for Metroid Hunters on DS. I tried it with the most conventional control scheme they had (the d-pad + face buttons), but even with that, my hands hurt after a few minutes. I also found hitting the touch screen to change weapons counter-intuitive.

I'm sort of assuming from your tone that you've dismissed me entirely, but okay. Believe it or not, I'm not alone in my dislike of touchscreen gaming. Having said that, I think gyration's technology is really cool, and I have a lot higher hopes for the revolution than I did with the DS (even if I think the lack of HD support is moronic). But I'm still very skeptical of any non-traditional control scheme, and I stick by my statement that in ten years, the primary interface for virtually all games will still be a gamepad or mouse + keyboard, because they work for the widest variety of games that people play.

I wasn't dismissive of anything but the "non-traditional" comment. Yeah, dual analog is an evolution... just like shoulder buttons, single analog, rumble control, analog triggers, and wireless. So why can't motion sensors be an evolution along those lines?

At what point does an interface become "traditional"?

I do really like my DS, but I do so in spite of its touchscreen, not because of it. So far, I find the uses of the touchscreen take away from games that use it (but then I play games like Phoenix Wright, Castlevania and Advance Wars, none of which needed to use it at all).

Pick up Trauma Center or Kirby's Canvas Curse. You'll be converted eventually. And if you don't mind playing a game that isn't a game, Electroplankton can be awesome as well. I too completely ignored touch screen functionality for the games that you mentioned. Mario Kart as well. In those cases, it does seem completely superfluous and useless. There are games that demand it though, so give 'em a shot and see what you think. You could surprise yourself.

On the other hand, I'm also somewhat skeptical about the revo being used for FPSs. If pulled off well, it could be sweet, but I can't really wrap my mind around turning/strafing. If you use the nunchaku for move/turn, then how do you strafe? If you use the nunchaku for move/strafe, how do you turn? Turning the remote would force you to aim away from the screen, so I don't see how that would work. (please note, I HATE using the stick for move/turn. It's all about move/strafe for me, which means that if you strafe by moving the remote from side to side, it would really piss me off.) The whole thing baffles me... :erm:

I wasn't dismissive of anything but the "non-traditional" comment. Yeah, dual analog is an evolution... just like shoulder buttons, single analog, rumble control, analog triggers, and wireless. So why can't motion sensors be an evolution along those lines?

At what point does an interface become "traditional"?

Generally I consider sticks and buttons traditional. They're just evolutions of the same interface everything going back to the 2600 had (although paddles never took). Had the revo had a touchscreen instead of buttons (as was rumored at one point), that would have been no-traditional.

Guns, guitars, cameras, scratch pads, touch screens, motion trackers, microphones, bongos, fishing rods, dance pads and maracas are non-traditional, IMO.

But that's just me. :oldman:

Oh yeah, they damn well are non-traditional. That's all part of the fun though. It's so different that it adds to the experience. It may just be me, but traditional gaming seems to have gotten pretty stale.

I have a hard time using 2-sticks in fps.

I always end up trying to move both sticks at once and getting a silly camera angle.

I hadn't thought about the movement issue, and really I think we're going to have to wait and see. Speculation is somewhat useless until we see actual gameplay. We don't know, for example, to what extend the game actually uses the motion features. Other than the bulleted features that they chose to tell us about, it's difficult to understand.

I have faith that most people will be able to use it well and enjoy it. (As most people enjoy dual sticks.)

I've never been let down by Nintendo. (Then again, I turn a blind eye to [and didn't buy] the Virtua Boy.)

If you use the nunchaku for move/turn, then how do you strafe? If you use the nunchaku for move/strafe, how do you turn? Turning the remote would force you to aim away from the screen, so I don't see how that would work.

use the stick for strafing.

What's wrong with not pointing the controller at the screen? You don't point your mouse at the screen. OOooo different how scary. I'm scared.

On the other hand, I'm also somewhat skeptical about the revo being used for FPSs. If pulled off well, it could be sweet, but I can't really wrap my mind around turning/strafing. If you use the nunchaku for move/turn, then how do you strafe? If you use the nunchaku for move/strafe, how do you turn? Turning the remote would force you to aim away from the screen, so I don't see how that would work.

If I was building it, my first iteration would be:

- You can point your "cursor" anywhere on the screen.

- There is a "dead zone" in the middle of the screen where you can point which does not affect what you look at.

- Once you point outside the dead zone, the view moves to put your "cursor" back in the dead zone.

- The further you move your "cursor" out of the dead zone and toward the edges of the screen, the faster it moves your view.

Then it would just be a matter of tweaking the size of the dead zone and the different view movement speeds until it felt right.

Imagining it in my head, I think that would work pretty well.

There's no problem with aiming away from the screen, it's not a lightgun.

Man, it's all good as long as they get the feeling of a proper swordfight. The last swordfighting interface that felt right to me was Prince of Persia (the original, obv.). Oblivion's is pretty good, actually, but imagine how good it could be with precision parries, blocking etc.

Then, bring on the lightsabers!

The sword moves exactly as if the controller was its hilt. It could be awesome.

There's no problem with aiming away from the screen, it's not a lightgun.

Whoa. Wait. I just realized that it'll be possible to strafe and shoot blindly to the side. That's a small thing that could be really big, maybe.

My thing with pointing it away from the screen, which people seem to be attacking quite a bit, is that (if indeed the controller is used to turn, which it may not be) in order to turn, you would need to point the controller (think: crosshairs) at something which you cannot see, thus rendering you incapable of aiming at anything on your screen until you stopped moving. With the mouse, it's different, as when you move the mouse the character's perspective shifts but your crosshairs stay exaclty in the center of the screen. When the crosshairs are not actually ON the screen at all, this is no longer possible. SpiderMonkey's plan seems like it would work pretty well, provided that the user could customize their own deadzone.

As for Baconian's comment, you seem to think that I'm frightened of this game. Rest assured, I am not. I am merely trying to imagine what playing this game would be like and vocalizing (type-alizing? postalizing?) my concerns. I'm not forming any opinions until this thing ships, I'm just saying I can't think of how it would work. Whether or not the designers can think of it is beyond me. They've got creative jobs, I'm sure they'll come up with something. Or not. Whatever.

Why do you assume the crosshairs have to be removed?? It could function just like a mouse on the PC where you aren't using it to point directly at you want to shoot per se, you are using it to point the direction of your view with your target always being centre screen.....