Oath

First Revolution game revealed... it's an FPS!

Right, the scans/photos are shamelessly stolen from a post on Something Awful, but I thought I'd share anyway. They're pretty shitty anyway, but will give you an idea of the Revolution's capabilities.

It seems the next issue of the Gameinformer magazine features an article on a Revolution game which is being developed by Ubisoft in France (the studio which was responsible for XIII if I'm not mistaken). The game is called Red Steel and has previously gone as Project Katana, or something. Anyway, it's basically an FPS where you can also wield a sword, besides all the standard shooty stuff.

coverforstory9uc2ls.jpg

Anyway, here's what it looks like:

124806829d9539625065xi4fk.jpg

12480683009819975d12cv7th.jpg

A Ubisoft employee on the Gaming-Age forums has apparently also vouched for the validity of these screens and stated that the visuals are in-game. However you should probably note that there are no guarantees that they haven't been slightly enhanced in Photoshop or such, as that allegedly happens from time to time.

If I'm way out of line by posting these images I'll remove them as soon as possible, or someone can just delete this thread and kick me in the head.

Haha the Revolution is so underpowered its graphics will just suck ass. Why won't they just rerelease the GameCube with a remote control lol??? all are owned.

Looks great. And it's not a sequel. Hooray Ubisoft. More info here. And here.

Lol, I like how they put the cover of the magazine on the Wikipedia article. Classy.

Hooray for shooting people, again! :shifty:

I'm a little concerned with that Revolution trailer that is going around the web: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI7Ow5auJvM&search=revolution%20trailer%20b. Kinda needlessly violent. Why would Nintendo go to such an extreme corner? This is way beyond what I'd deem appropriate for any company or thing. This is just the promotion of peerless violence.

Hooray for shooting people, again! :shifty:
But, but, you can also not shoot people! That's innovative!

People on other forums have been saying that it looks like it could be an on-rails type of arcade shooter, but the Ubisoft guy I mentioned in the first post also stated that it's free and that it is "not a rail shooter - that would be 100% NES and not Next-Gen". This is not Duck Hunt 2 people, do you hear me?

Also, shooting up pachinko-machines is making a very anti-"current Sega" statement isn't it? :deranged:

Thanks for cleaning up my mess Marek.

Not really, pachinko's are Sammy's business, nothing to do with SEGA.

Also, pretty new screens wooo (saves me newsing it...)

I know, but they're still owned by Sammy and they've put out Sonic pachinko stuff, if I'm not mistaken. I didn't mean it seriously anyway, but still!

pff, I shot people before.

It's not anything to get excited about.

A few things worth noting:

• Tilting the remote changes how the weapon on screen is held.
  • You throw grenades by simulating a throw or a roll with the remote.
  • If you manage to defeat the "bosses" that are found throughout the game without killing them (by shooting the guns out of their hand for example) you get special rewards and perhaps support from their groups.
  • There will be sword duels as well as stealthy options dependant on sword-use.
  • You shoot stuff.

I'm a little concerned with that Revolution trailer that is going around the web: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI7Ow5auJvM&search=revolution%20trailer%20b. Kinda needlessly violent. Why would Nintendo go to such an extreme corner? This is way beyond what I'd deem appropriate for any company or thing. This is just the promotion of peerless violence.

You're not serious, right?

• Ubisoft Paris took their idea directly to Iwata and Miyamoto, and were given the go ahead. After that meeting they were given prototype controllers. The article states that Ubisoft worked "closely" with Nintendo's engineers in Japan on the title
  • You signal "yes/no" answers by nodding the controller up or down or shaking it from side to side
  • You show extra respect by bowing to the masters
  • "You can act disrespectively as well: there are no cut scenes in the game - all conversations take place in game, as in Half Life 2. However unlike that game, characters wont keep prattling on if you walk away from them. They will react angrily to your imputent behavior"
  • You turn gang leaders to your side by besting them in battle and stopping a deadly blow miliseconds before it strikes

You're not serious, right?

You watched that trailer? And that bit where the guy on the couch seemingly starts maniacally stabbing some woman? His girlfriend tries to stop him but he pushes her away and proceeds with his act of butchering some female begging for mercy?

And I should be totally OK with this? It was a repulsive act of violence as entertainment. Despicable.

Those bullet points sure sound like great examples of what that interface can DO for the playing experience, Marek.

I hope you haven't been spreading your disapproval of it too widely as it is in fact a fan trailer — nothing to do with Nintendo at all.

At least, the violent parts are. Download the real version from IGN (or Nintendo themselves) and you'll find that the stabbing and whatnot is absent.

Okay, that puts it in perspective some more. I thought it was from Nintendo, obviously. Phew! I'm glad it was just good ole' irony.

Still, I'll spread my disapproval in any which way I like :getmecoat

I don't think it's anything to get worked up about. It's hard to know what, if anything, about that trailer represents actual gameplay.

It could even be some guy beating up an invulnerable NPC.

I wouldn't go to crazy until I saw some SCREENS, or some VIDEO. Don't fall play to the generation Y (Or are we on Z now?) youth marketing.

The "hey this is so cool we don't have to show it to you" thing doesn't work for me.

I'm glad that Nintendo is embracing more FPS. I'm not a big fan of the commonplace, but maybe they can shine the traditional.

I want to play Mario, but sometimes, I want to get into a sword fight.

One thing that the Game Cube got flack for was being a "kid's toy." It had some GREAT games, but some people look down on Nintendo games because of the content.

I've always loved their worlds, and had fun with their games. At the same time, I'd like to see Nintendo games with more "mature" themes.

As long as they keep providing their traditional games, and create new games with their tradition of excellance, their isn't a big deal. As always, if you don't like a particular game, you don't have to buy it.

I will say again, however, that I think that judging Nintendo as a company, or any game by a commercial that doesn't show game play, is silly.

I see it as showing possibilities. It COULD be the game that we're talking about, but it could also be a crime game (god, I hope not) or even a slasher style horror game, where you play the psyco (also, god, I hope not.)

Hell, they showed the guy using the controller to pee, and I very much doubt that there is a game in developement right now that uses it. (However, if Nintendo got the bid for the latest Postal title, it could solve all of our problems with the commerical at once.)

Edit: I really wasn't paying that much attention when I was watching it.... I'm a moron.

You watched that trailer? And that bit where the guy on the couch seemingly starts maniacally stabbing some woman? His girlfriend tries to stop him but he pushes her away and proceeds with his act of butchering some female begging for mercy?

And I should be totally OK with this? It was a repulsive act of violence as entertainment. Despicable.

From what I can tell, he's taking a kitana blade to the woman's couch—otherwise, she wouldn't be able to keep screaming. Anyway, note that it's not the only game being played. It's kind of a something-for-everyone commercial.

I can't tell anymore if you guys are dumb or just trying too hard to be funny. You seriously didn't see that was a glossy professional made trailer with some amateur videos inserted? I have trouble believing that so I guess the sarcasm / pretend ignorance is being taken way too far here. It's not funny, it's just annoying.

Or, just in case you're actually serious: hoooooooly shit. Nintendo would really show a guy fake peeing at a plain old, fluorescently lighted office desk with a Playstation sign above it? You think Sherlock???

Please what the fuck are we talking about. I thought we were talking about a newly announced game.

This thread: :tdown::fart:

I think there's one thing that needs to be said:

That Japanese woman bouncing that green controller around is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

To me, the fact that the first game shown is an FPS reveals that Nintendo is making the western audience its main target for a new console. Am I wrong ? And if not, it's a first, isn't it?

It's pretty strange that UbiSoft is making this raher than a studio traditionnally linked to Nintendo and what is even stranger is for them to allow such clichéed japanese background for the game.

I would have been lass suprised if they had announced something like Paper Man

Still, there seems to be a few interesting ideas that might make the game more interesting than any standard FPS.. even if they could have make the choice of not killing the enemies more subtle.

For the sake of gameplay I'm hoping they add some vibrations device to create a real feeling for the weapons.

Nintendo hasn't given up on the western audience this time around.

And they might even have an interesting take on the genres, that'd be nice.

Well, if the graphics look as good as those blurred images that could be Doctored by Ubi, sign me up.

Didn't really care about the graphics so much, was more interested in stuff like Trauma Centre playing on my computer monitor. Still, after seeing those shots I feel that I need to say "ooooh... Sparkly..."